General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What's your Fit Story?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
What's your Fit Story?

I had a 2000 V8 Durango @ 13 MPG in the summer of 2008 when gas hit 4.00 a gallon it was time for the SUV to go! I started looking around in May of 08 but the cars that where getting 30+ mpg, well were ugly till I saw this Honda Fit. My fisrt thought was it kinda looked sporty in a minvan kind way. Little did I know how the Fit was going to change my outlook on cars. I was a true Ford /Mopar fan till I drove this little honda and saw how well engineered this car was. Now I'm getting rid of my ol cars and replacing them with hondas
Anybody looking for a really nice 68 Charger that gets 9MPG hummmm?
Big Mike

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 02-19-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Started looking for a car in 2008, which is when I registered at FitFreak. The Fit was number one on my list of top 5 because my family has an affair with Honda.

I fell in love with a Vivid Blue Pearl that was parked around my neighborhood. Then I saw a 2007 Taffeta White and was disappointed the 2008 model didn't have that color. So I waited a year because I needed to save more for a downpayment. I ended up with my car in Sep 09, as the only TW color in the lot at Castle Honda in Morton Grove, IL. It is my first car, relying on public transit all my life.

The car has 26k on it now, and I drove it from Illinois to Washington. Hopefully my adventures with the Fit continue to more places. I have driven it to Toronto, and a drive to Vancouver is in the future, and maybe Portland, OR and SF, CA. Heck why not Alaska, ha ha.

Last edited by blassty; 02-05-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you can read about it all on my blog, but i was looking for a cheap convenient hatch (to carry my infant and stuff for him at the time) with MT and the Fit was it.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
I read a short blurb about a test drive in one either in "Motor Trend", "Road&Track or "Car and Driver" in early 2006 ... What piqued my interest was after saying the car was under powered after raving about the economy and fun it was to drive he said that the aftermarket would surely address that problem... My sister had owned the first FWD hatchback I had driven (Austin American) and it was cool.... I had owned a couple of VW Rabbits back in the 80s and into the 90s.. I had loved driving the hell out of the gasoline powered one but enjoyed the more economical diesel as well... I only wish that the Fit was as light as those cars had been. I've spent over 1/3 of what I paid for the car on aftermarket pieces and the little car is considerably faster that it was when new.. It gets about the same fuel mileage as the 1975 Rabbit and that's fine with me.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 02-06-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
I bought one because:

1. always wanted a Honda
2. I liked the look of it.
3. fuel economy
4. it fit in my 20x18 ft garage with another vehicle.

It replaced a 1990 Jeep Cherokee.

Chris

Old 02-06-2012, 02:49 PM
My '94 BMW 740iL was killing me with repair costs and the fuel costs didn't help either.

Needed something affordable and wanted something that was somewhat sporty and stylish. As I mentioned in other threads here I came across an review of the Chevy Sonic and thought that was the answer.

I continued my research on-line and then cars like the Yaris & Fit came into the picture. After pricing vs. trim level and storage concerns I was sold on the Fit so much that I didn't have any desire to even waste time test driving other models.

Went directly to a Honda dealer to test drive a Fit and there was no doubt left in my mind that I wanted one. Having once owned a CRX I also was sold with the Honda reliability factor.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:38 PM
i needed a daily driver work car since i use to drive all the time for my old job. i use to drive at least 100 miles a day so what better way to get a economical car like a fit! :-)

Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 PM
I was at the bitter end of my second, in a row, used Cadillacs. My daughter had a Yaris and I was impressed with the thing but it was a bit too bare bones. So I looked at what was on the market, wanting to buy USA, and found nothing that could compare w/ the Fit. I'm still not seeing anything either.

Maybe it was all in the name? But it does.

K_C_

Old 02-07-2012, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
My 99 Suabru outback through a crank rod bearing early 2010, on a pro rebuilt 48,000 mile engine. That was the last straw on that car (had too many problems, as much as I loved it). At that time I was working full time and attending college part time, so I needed a car quick. Found a silver 97 Civic EX 5MT, ended up over paying for it, but even with the nearly 180,000 miles on it when I bought it, it was a fun, reliable and well built car. Fast forward to the beginning of 2011 and I came to the relization that I needed a car that would be drivable every day (while the civic was reliable, it was still 14 years old with nearly 190,000 miles at this point). I counted my pennies and decided to buy a new car for 20k or less. I wanted something small, fun to drive, reliable, cheap and that could fit my drumkit or a full load of people (or both. Suprisingly, you can't fit both in a civic coupe. Go figure). After reading, reasearching and test driving I settled on a 2011 base 5MT fit in white.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Old 1999 Mazda Miata was on it's last legs, and it was time for an upgrade. Checked out the Nissan Versa; the salesman couldn't find me a MT with power anything. The cargo wasn't impressive either, although the second row seating was very comfy for my 6'2" boyfriend. The Ford Fiesta was even worse with the cargo and getting the second row seats down was a hassle, and neither this car or the Versa had flat fold down backseats. The Scion XD looked and felt outright cheap. Hated it. BUT THE HONDA FIT... Now there's a car that really knows how to blow a girl's skirt up! Loved the handle of the car, the look, the feel, the versatility of the cargo space, all the little folds and flats the thing is capable of, and loved that it wasn't a big jump to a huge car after driving the Miata. Went to the dealership and haggled, slept on it, and bought the car the next day. And TADA! Her name is bunny and in the last two months, I've gotten her weathertech all weather digital fit floor mats, which by the way I have an extra set of if anyone is interested in buying them from me (black), got a cargo liner, custom coverking seat covers, claybarred and waxed, got a thule rapid aeroblade roof rack system, and currently giving her lots of love.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Looking for a car to replace a Camry. The car was fine, but I was tired of some of it's little stupid Toyota problems. My wife wanted a 5 speed again, and we didn't really need the extra space anymore. I wanted a car that got much better gas mileage, figured out she drove 27k miles in a 12 month period!

Looked around and was trying to find a Civic that was not grossly over-priced (the reason we ended up with a Camry to begin with). Started looking at Hondas for sale on eBay for the upteenth time and before I drilled down to Civic... a blue Fit at a low price showed up available locally. We both looked at each other, thinking "what was that?"

Checked out the car, researched them... and then ended up driving the car home.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit is a great car no dout and the stories here are great too! Aftre 3 .5 years I still love driving her around and finding a reason to take a drive in my Hondee!
Big Mike

Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Got the Fit new in 2008 - at the time, I was single, I had just gotten a new job, and gas was $4/gallon. Used small cars were selling for about the same as what the Fit cost new, and had 50,000+ miles. So I got the Fit instead.

Over time I have come to regret the decision. I liked the Fit at first, but in the past couple years the road noise and awful ride quality have grated on me. The mileage isn't nearly as good as it should be for such a small car. It needs a 6th gear and a real battery.

So now I'm going to be selling the Fit and using the cash to get a cheaper car. It'll help me eliminate my car payment entirely, which will be nice.

I think I'm not just unhappy with the car, I'm unhappy that I paid full price for it. If I had bought a $5,000 car and it had a rough ride and lots of road noise, I'd be able to deal with it. But when I buy new I expect more. I haven't gotten it with the Fit, so it's on the way out.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
We had a 2010 Caliber that was practical for the long trips we take, but gas mileage wasn't consistent and the car had brake troubles since day one. It was making a clunking noise and the warranty was about to expire. We needed a reliable car for my daily communte and our long trips. When we were looking around, it came down to the Focus and the Fit.

The Fit was a more practical choice for us and the reviews by it's owners were very positive. Not to mention how reliable the Fit is as well. We haven't had an issue with the Fit.

As we're putting more miles on the clock, it seems to be getting stronger and MPG is very consistent! We are very impressed and we're totally enjoying our Fit!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:41 PM
I needed a second car to drive since my built Prelude gets about 16mpg. I have always loved Honda hatches and I'm waiting for these cars to get a little cheaper because I know people my age will really start to mod them. Plus they are fun to track

Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 PM
I had a Stage 1 Subaru Legacy GT putting down decent power put also giving me 18mpg. I looked at the Civic but since I go camping a lot I wanted more space. I saw the Fit on a lot and took it for a drive. It had the space, it was fun to drive, and it got good mileage too! As much as I love my Fit, I plan on getting rid of it in 2 years and leasing a VW GTI because I just started a business and will be in a lot of traffic and wanted a good automatic.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Sold my toy car and got bored of only having an automatic Element to drive around. It was ok when I could hop from car to car but I really don't like SUV's or big cars, mainly just got the Element so I could haul around car parts, wheels, body panels, couches, loveseats LOL

Well I needed to put some fun back into commuting, so I went shopping for a hatchback I could still haul stuff in and have fun with at the same time. Test drove the Fit first and loved it, Nissan Versa next (souless, boring), Mazda 3 (liked it but wanted more cargo), a few used cars, and ended up going back to the Fit. I don't ever plan on selling it to tell the truth, and will probably drive it till it falls apart.

Now just need a project car and i'll be happy. Been looking at Dodge Darts/Plymoth Valiants and Chevy Novas, was going to build an EF or CRX track car but where i'm at now in life it makes more sense to build a cruiser.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Now just need a project car and i'll be happy. Been looking at Dodge Darts/Plymoth Valiants and Chevy Novas, was going to build an EF or CRX track car but where i'm at now in life it makes more sense to build a cruiser.
Dang, all those cars you listed have been in my life at one point. Sounds like a fun project and hope you find a closet classic to start with!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by GTRPLYR
Dang, all those cars you listed have been in my life at one point. Sounds like a fun project and hope you find a closet classic to start with!
Thanks for the support! Yeah, I don't really have a lot of cash to lay down on one of the "popular" classics but i've always had a soft spot for boxy Mopar sedans and the "ugly" late 70s Novas, and they can be had for fairly cheap here.

It will be my first jump from imports (since '99 ish I guess when I was playing with some friends' Mustangs), so we'll see how it goes

Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
My '89 Accord had reached 200k, and my mechanic said I really should get something else to take some of the load off of it. I wanted a six-speed Accord, but @ 31K, was TOO expensive. I then thought about a Civic Si, but it was priced in 5 speed Accord territory AND required premium fuel only. Then I saw the Fit: remote/6 spkr stereo/ manual/"eye candy" (Spoilers, etc./$16,500...worked for me! My first totally new car purchase, waited for months for a manual. Gone but NOT forgotten VBP Sport 5MT 12 March 2007-21 December 2012, victim of a savage hit and run....Awaiting arrival of VortexBP Sport 5MT!!

Last edited by fittmann; 02-15-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: What's your Fit Story?