Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   regular or premium not an option now (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/70346-regular-premium-not-option-now.html)

craigquakertown 06-29-2012 04:43 AM

thank god prices had dropped thank you for all your guys input glad that i wasn't the only one going crazy lol

cjecpa 06-29-2012 09:53 AM

Fill up today $3.45 87oct $3.93 93oct brought gas on last sunday in Wilkes Barre 60 miles south was $3.25 87oct and $3.55 93oct.

pollardmark52 07-08-2012 09:34 AM

I think I'm gonna take the train a couple a days a week just to so i don't have to get gas as much.

craigquakertown 07-09-2012 04:27 AM

well it went down to 3.69 in nyc so i mean it got better but next winter we'll see if it happens again

Dwalbert320 07-09-2012 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by craigquakertown (Post 1076049)
Good luck to those suv drivers your days are numbered they'll be driving fits and cars just like it lol:vtec:

Interesting position. But false.

More than half of all new vehicles sold in North America are in the SUV or bigger category. This is the only category that is showing significant growth in the industry. (1st quarter 2012 stats)

The car industry is experiencing a push back against smaller sized vehicles.

Most manufacturers spent a lot of money developing smaller and more fuel efficient technologies and are finding that consumers just aren't interested.

They are moving away from small cars and towards bigger cars.

Up here in Canada they did a comprehensive survey of current car owners. Market research shows that car owners would have to pay upwards of $2.80 per liter ($11.20 per gallon) of gasoline before they would significantly alter their driving behaviour (slower starts, limiting top speed)

Before big SUV owners would switch to smaller vehicles the price would have to reach $3.50 per liter($14 per gallon).

Before a significant number of all size car owners would consider selling their car outright and use public transportation the price per liter would have to reach $4 per liter ($16 per gallon).

The prices might seem obscene or ridiculous and they are. But it does show that most drivers are willing to give up a lot of extras (quality of food they purchase, entertainment, trips, even the choice of having an extra kid) in order to maintain they driving habits.

The reality is that most people (not all) will purchase as much car as their financial situation allows. Same for housing, clothes, food, etc...It's what humans do.

bmxman 07-09-2012 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dwalbert320 (Post 1113447)

The reality is that most people (not all) will purchase as much car as their financial situation allows...It's what humans do.

Correction: It's what lazy, irresponsible humans do ;)

555sexydrive 07-09-2012 08:20 AM

On top of that, most are not buying to what their financial situation allows and are buying well beyond their means because well they feel entitled to be the same or better than the next person. Credit debt is absurd.

craigquakertown 07-10-2012 04:51 AM

thank you gentelmen and ifyou choose not to have an extra kid cause your priorities are toward your lifestyle sorry that just sounds very selfish to me but that is just my opinion. and it was a joke cause suvs are now getting better gas mileage thanks to the small car technology(your welcome) that they got from experimenting but i cannot see spending 30,000 on a suv, I'd buy a sport car at least i could enjoy it. this is why the world is broke due to overspending.

craigquakertown 07-11-2012 04:51 AM

Up here in Canada they did a comprehensive survey of current car owners. Market research shows that car owners would have to pay upwards of $2.80 per liter ($11.20 per gallon) of gasoline before they would significantly alter their driving behaviour (slower starts, limiting top speed)

i worked 30 miles from the canadian border and i'm sorry but your fellow countrymen use to drive over the border and purchase as much as they could carry so they didn't have to pay so much for goods and services including gas

Boba Fitt 07-11-2012 08:59 AM

I love how folks complain about oil prices then throw their money away on "premium" gas. If the manual says regular, the engine is made for regular, and will run most efficiently on it. Unless you've say, added a turbo recently, go ahead and save your money.

Dwalbert320 07-11-2012 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by craigquakertown (Post 1114192)

I worked 30 miles from the canadian border and i'm sorry but your fellow countrymen use to drive over the border and purchase as much as they could carry so they didn't have to pay so much for goods and services including gas

I had a good laugh reading your post. Most of my family comes from the border town of Edmunston, NB. On the U.S. side the town is called Madawaska, ME.

What you said about cross border shopping brought back many memories for me as a child visiting my distant relations. That's all they talked about. Shopping on the other side. The Americans would cross over for the food. While the Canadians would cross over for gas and beer.

But this is a unique experience limited to border towns. The vast majority of us Canucks live in the major centers such as Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, etc...

I can tell you that up to a year ago there were less that 5 Honda dealerships in western Canada simply because Honda had no Ridgelines to sell to the dealerships. They couldn't turn a profit just selling the rest of the Honda line-up. Such is the attraction of of trucks in both our cultures me thinks. We don't see them as much in the cities but as soon as you head out of town well...it's all trucks all the time.

In the media what we hear all the time is that drivers are demanding greater efficiency in cars and well everything else for that matter. But once we open our wallets to spend our money well....the tune changes.

Basically peoples rhetoric doesn't match their actions. The future of cars might be based on fuel economy but consumers will insist it comes in the the large SUV format.

They are already toying with technology where the car's engine is stopped when the vehicle stops moving. It uses baterry power to get back up to speed then the engine kicks in. Charging the battery back up.

If they can get this kind of technology in an SUV and get say 45+ mpg....well that's the end of the sub compact and compact car segments as we know them.

craigquakertown 07-12-2012 04:33 AM

I live in brooklyn,nyc you need a sub compact if you plan on finding a parking space here if not good luck they are hard to find one guy on my block has a dodge heavy duty always has to park 2 or 3 blocks away

craigquakertown 07-12-2012 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Boba Fitt (Post 1114212)
I love how folks complain about oil prices then throw their money away on "premium" gas. If the manual says regular, the engine is made for regular, and will run most efficiently on it. Unless you've say, added a turbo recently, go ahead and save your money.

i have had so many people fight me on that debate one guy was so religious about it that it got ugly my point is why pay more:vtec::cool:
but on a turbo you should use high octane for performance reasons

DiamondStarMonsters 07-12-2012 09:35 AM

There is no premium gas stazi coming around in the middle of the night to make you empty that extra $3 out of your wallet. You are not obligated to do it, no one is asking you to do so.

Our point is don't speak on subjects you don't understand.

A 10.4:1 motor is most certainly not designed for 87AKI fuel. 87AKI is the absolute safe minimum you can run in this car, as stated in the manual. Meaning it is the minimum acceptable. These are Honda, the manufacturers, actual comments on this.

The only reason they even do this is because of the price point they are selling the car at. This is the cheapest car they offer, and they market it as an economy vehicle. Most people, you included would see "premium" listed and have a small conniption fit and move on. Instead they dumb down the tune for all those good ol' ignorant americans in order to allow it to get away on regular.

If you don't know what a "tune" consists of, and why that would make or break it, I recommend you don't respond to this post. If you aren't ready to discuss MBT Spark Angle, flame front propagation, Max Rich v. Lean Torque or spark hook tests please don't pretend to be able to discuss the matter.

The only reasons you can get away with 87AKI on a high comp/small cam motor with a hot thermostat is because of the knock sensor and the adaptive ECU. That's it.

Easiest way to demonstrate this for yourself:

Run your current tank down to empty.
Reset the ECU
Run through a complete drive cycle on the highest grade fuel you have available. (100LL/VP110/C16 what have you)
Make a few WOT 3rd gear pulls along the way.
Run that tank down to empty.
Fill up with 87AKI and go make a few WOT pulls.

You will feel the hesitation from the knock retard all throughout the low end and mid range, especially at and during the cam changeover..

So few people actually understand the subject, its incredible.

Till then keep your thoughts on the subject to yourself. Because it makes you out to be remarkably misinformed. Feel free to opine on cost, but the actual mechanics behind it is another matter and there is enough bad information on this forum, dont add to it.

555sexydrive 07-12-2012 10:45 AM

Love the comment if no turbo no need for premium. Just plain stupid really. My ECU has been reflashed, just the typical bolt-ons called for in the reflash, but the reflash also calls for a 2 range colder plug and hi-octane fuel due to the ignition timing and fuel tables being tuned.

Dwalbert320 07-12-2012 11:07 AM

I don't know anything at all about engine tuning. I have a very basic understanding of engines.

My basic question is very simple.

1-let my tank run down to nothing.
2-Fuel up with the good stuff.
3-Disconnect the battery and let the ECM/ECU clear it's memory.

4 -Enjoy my Fit that is operating in the correct range for it's intended design with regards to performance, efficiency , and durability.

and all I have to do is spend 10$ more per fill up every other week.....

Like DSM said are people really that naive?

Texas Coyote 07-12-2012 12:55 PM

I could immediately feel the difference between regular and premium when I first got the car... It will be 6 years that I have had it in a little over 48 hours.

craigquakertown 07-12-2012 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote (Post 1114635)
I could immediately feel the difference between regular and premium when I first got the car... It will be 6 years that I have had it in a little over 48 hours.

i tried it once on my sentra which was underpowered and to be honest my valves and engine were good and never felt the difference when i switched fuel so i went back, trial and error

DiamondStarMonsters 07-12-2012 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by craigquakertown (Post 1114690)
i tried it once on my sentra which was underpowered and to be honest my valves and engine were good and never felt the difference when i switched fuel so i went back, trial and error

Oh well that settles THAT :rotfl:

SilverBullet 07-12-2012 09:45 PM

I notice people do the same thing over and over expecting different results and complain when the results are the same or worse. My son had the first real experience of me driving on the highway and he wondered why the car did not rev when I passed a truck from 60 to 70. He though it was on cruise control and was impressed when I explained why. Another teaching moment and lesson learned.