General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

regular or premium not an option now

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
regular or premium not an option now

just got gas at 3.91 a gallon and yesterday a guy at work is like i had a vtec and it needed premium, guess what my manual says 87 min i'll keep it at that for and extra .5 a mile I'll get octane boost every three months its a lot cheaper. Everyone is driving slower lately and I'm seeing less cars on the road greenpeace must be proud. I think I'm gonna take the train a couple a days a week just to so i don't have to get gas as much

Good luck to those suv drivers your days are numbered they'll be driving fits and cars just like it lol

Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
it cost my $40 ish bucks a week to fill my jimmy, that is about what im paying to fill the Fit up as well with 92 octane.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 PM
ummmm.... cool story bro?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
+$4 in CA...

Old 02-21-2012, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cocowheat
ummmm.... cool story bro?

10char

Old 02-21-2012, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
It was $2.98 on Sunday here... 85 octane for the high altitude.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
It's not so much that gasoline has increased in price as it is the value of money has decreased... I'll still use 93 octane and drink good whiskey but to a little lesser extent than I have in the past.. Using less has me appreciating both even more than I did when I was living more excessively.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Just filled up this weekend with Chevron Plus 89 Octane @ 4.11 a gal.

Compared to $60+ fill ups with with my old BMW I'm actually pretty happy with the Fit fuel consumption and feel like I'm getting a deal.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
A day or two ago the evening news said that fuel cost in California was way up compared to elsewhere.. If I was still making payments on my car and needed to drive a lot I would be pretty upset... When the price of gasoline went over a dollar a gallon in 1980 I bought a diesel powered VW.. I owned 3 different diesel VWs between 81 and 94 so I was used to getting as high as 54.7 MPG.. That was better mileage than I got at 55 MPH on 150cc Lambretta scooter but not by much.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by craigquakertown
just got gas at 3.91 a gallon and yesterday a guy at work is like i had a vtec and it needed premium, guess what my manual says 87 min i'll keep it at that for and extra .5 a mile I'll get octane boost every three months its a lot cheaper. Everyone is driving slower lately and I'm seeing less cars on the road greenpeace must be proud. I think I'm gonna take the train a couple a days a week just to so i don't have to get gas as much

Good luck to those suv drivers your days are numbered they'll be driving fits and cars just like it lol
Gas is higher down south for now which includes California due to the Brent Crude that costs more. This time Chicago is on the other side and has lower gasoline costs for now because of the different crude.

Using Mid grade or premium is cheaper than adding octane booster. Octane booster would only raise the octane a few tenths of a point to 1.5 depending on the fuel composition.

I have tried to drive slower on the Highways but people just cut you off and try to cause a accident.

Gas might hit 5 dollars or more but keep in mind summer mpg is 10 to 20 higher so in their reality its not going up that much. We are paying alot for winter fuel. It starts changing back in a few weeks to summer fuel.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
gas prices have nothing to do with "barrel of oil" prices.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Well I am going to do some of my own speculating like the Wall Streeters and say that the rise in oil prices is helping the $uck gain on the ¥en right now. Only because it is traded in $uck$ and Japan doesn't produce any oil. It's up to 80/1 on the market right now, that is an increase of 4/1 in just over a week. Go to $10 a gallon and maybe the $ will break even with the ¥. :P Gas already costs ¥153/liter or $7.50/gal here, current bank rates are 77/1.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 02-22-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Gas already costs ¥153/liter or $7.50/gal here, current bank rates are 77/1.
Dang I remember complaining anytime the ¥/$ went under 200/1... But that was looonnnng time ago

Old 02-22-2012, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
to be honest all my cars ran on 87 even my 85 trans am with a 4 barrel carb and my 80 malibu with a 2barrel carb and i got decent mileage on both and my 88 olds 98 reg broughamm which had 180,000 mls on it when i got that one checked cause of the miles she ran like a top i never had an issue with milage on all three guess my experiences have been different than other people when its come to gas

Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Using Mid grade or premium is cheaper than adding octane booster. Octane booster would only raise the octane a few tenths of a point to 1.5 depending on the fuel composition.
Agree on the octane, but often times the booster will also have other additives in the package which are really doing the work, but you are right, completely different approach than octane.

So if you switch the argument over to just in terms of fuel additives; specifically the Upper Cylinder Lubricant, then that can have a positive effect worth it's cost (especially if you're substituting cheaper gas, and everything is at least E10).

So for example you buy Lucas fuel additive in bulk knowing it's just for UCL, and don't overtreat your fuel, it is inexpensive fuel additive, relative to the fuel and benefits

Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
Agree on the octane, but often times the booster will also have other additives in the package which are really doing the work, but you are right, completely different approach than octane.

So if you switch the argument over to just in terms of fuel additives; specifically the Upper Cylinder Lubricant, then that can have a positive effect worth it's cost (especially if you're substituting cheaper gas, and everything is at least E10).

So for example you buy Lucas fuel additive in bulk knowing it's just for UCL, and don't overtreat your fuel, it is inexpensive fuel additive, relative to the fuel and benefits
I have use Lucas fuel treatment and it works but stopped using it years ago. The gas I get has a food grade additive which most gas has some amount. The government requires at least 1 percent but its not enough. Bp uses 2.3 percent in their Regular and 3 in Midgrade and 4 in Premium. The mpg increase I see is from the octane increase. The paper I've been waiting for came out and is a good read but do not take in consideration ORI and Oil types. I already did tests with Regular and for the 2 dollars less per 10 gallons its not worth it. Any fuel injection cleaner or gas dryer I use is to clean up the deposits from using lower octane gas or to dry the gas of the aromatics in season changes. Iso Heet holds more water with out phase separation than ethanol and toluene.

Having the ultra gauge and having 2 identical cars I have seen the difference between regular and Premium. My Fit got about the same mpg as my Civic and was more efficient than when I used Regular.

http://www.crcao.com/reports/recents...l%20Report.pdf

Its all about MBT and that is around 95ron/98ron depending on where you live. With all the different types of gas out there my argument is not for every one because of the different situations and gas specifications.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:33 AM
5 Year Member
I just read a report that us new yorkers have the highest gas taxes in the country so the fed, state and city are killing us gotta love it. our neighbors in jersey I think have the best prices and pennsylvania is pretty good to

Old 03-02-2012, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
Fuel is going to be going up in the next few days and my tank is at or slightly below the 1/4 mark..I'm definitely going into town for a fill up... I haven't an option either, I have to buy the more costly stuff....I enjoy the power I have with the supercharger, just not as often when fuel prices are higher than normal... If it gets too bad I'll have to put my motor scooter back together.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Gas is four bucks a gallon which is about where it was four years ago. It was lower in between, that's all.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Fuel costs for my airplane are over $6 a gallon. I'm glad I don't fly it as much as I drive my Fits.

Quick Reply: regular or premium not an option now