General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Any ex-200+ hp Fit Freaks here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 12:10 AM
kos
Any ex-200+ hp Fit Freaks here?

Hi guys,
I've been lurking for awhile now, I've really enjoyed this forum and everyone seems fantastically helpful.

Anyways, I don't mean the title to sound egotistical in any way - I'm considering trading my 2001 lude in for a Honda Fit. I was wondering whether other members have gone from a 200hp (or more) car to the Fit and found it disappointing.

Before I give the impression that I'm an HP maniac, one of the reasons that I'm considering the change is that I'd like better fuel mileage and I certainly don't use the full potential of the lude. I barely rev it past 5000 (VTEC maybe once every 2 weeks) and I usually stay in 5th when passing on the highway (usually at around 3-4k RPM). Will the FIT be painfully slower? Or does it adequately pass other cars at 70+mph (obviously requiring a downshift which I don't mind) ? I should also add that I'd appreciate it if users tell me whether they ended up with a fit manual or sport auto.

Any info would be really appreciated, thanks guys. This would help my decision-making process.

Again, great community!

Brian

Last edited by kos; 07-26-2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
I did not give up my 200+ E55 when I got my Fit. The Fit is definitely not the same, but it is still a very fun car to drive. It's sporty and handles pretty well. I like the fact that it is so small. You feel quick in it since your surroundings are so tight. And the paddle shifters are kinda cool too. Much cheaper to mod also.

You can easily pass other cars at 70+. It's fun to hear the little engine roar a bit. The times I feel it being very slow are when I want to make a quick speed up to change lanes. It takes a lot more time.

However, I have not found the Fit to be disappointing because I'm not expecting a powerful car with it. I'm expecting a sporty compact car that gets good gas mileage and that can carry a bunch of things in the back and seat 4 people comfortably.

Last edited by t-bone; 07-26-2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:19 AM
kos
^^^
In a perfect world I would keep both Unfortunately, I'd like to stay away from monthly payments and insurance on both the lude AND the fit would be prohibitive (the lude must have a horrible insurance reputation!).

My other option is to sell my 87 scirocco and replace it with an EG hatch. Not as versatile as the Fit for sure and a lot older, but i'd be able to keep the lude.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:21 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
I have a S2000 and a fit. Theyre both fun to drive im not dissapointed in the fit at all.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:23 AM
kos
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
I have a S2000 and a fit. Theyre both fun to drive im not dissapointed in the fit at all.
God, you lucky bastids! Good for you man, I'd love to be able to own that combo. Best of both worlds really.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
I own a n/a 2nd gen Rx-7 that is fun to drive. The one thing about the fit manual is you shift all the time. It just does not seem to be par with the civics Ive driven... You expect honda to have three things good mpg,sprint,dependability. My answer is I dont mind . Infact, I drive the fit 98% of the time. You may like the automatic over the manual. Ive read the fit auto is sprinty but I dont know how the fit is at and over 70. good luck

Last edited by big Fit; 07-26-2006 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:18 AM
JDM
I gave up my RSX with a K20a swap for an Auto Sport Fit. Yes I miss the power and the enjoyment at 6000+ RPM, but with way gas prices are inflating these days I prefer to save more money at the pump and insurance. I think the Fit was designed as a economical commuter car with a bit of comfort added to it. The Fit is adequate enough for freeway driving but don't expect to pass at 70+ (except maybe going downhill) mph expecially going up an incline. The "S" mode with paddle shifters to me is a joke, don't expect it to be the same as a manual in any way. I barely even use this feature because the car ends up burning up more fuel and the power increase is not that significant. I didn't buy this car for performance but instead a reliable, economical commuter with lots of room inside for getting to and from places.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:33 AM
The Fit will be our 3rd car/city beater. If I could only own one car, the Fit's lack of HP and other performance related items would have excluded it from consideration. But, as a supplimental car for someone's garage, it's great.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:23 AM
I also have an S2000, but my daily driver '93 Civic is on its last legs. The Fit has the extra carrying capacity that will come in handy.
I've driven the Fit (mine hasn't arrived yet), and it won't be an issue. Different driving styles for different purposes. I don't need the power for the daily commute. Weekends are a different matter.

JonasM

Old 07-26-2006, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
I went from a "210+ HP" 2003 Nissan Xterra SE-S/C - I had a K&N FIPK and a Dynomax Cat Back Exhaust in there. Both minor mods brought out the wicked whine of the supercharger under the hood.

I totally miss that whine, and the horrific Premium Fuel Only Economy that comes with it, but that'll change as soon as the first major snowstorm hits NY again.

Edited to add - I forgot to mention my Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor I drive for work!

Last edited by Wave; 07-27-2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:08 AM
My MT passes fine from 70 mph, albeit w/o passengers or cargo and no A/C on. I generally drive a bit faster than 70 but grabbing 4th gear from 5th, and running up to 100 mph is a hoot. My recipe is to buy the MT and buy a used crotch rocket for the speed-need.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:10 AM
haha my first post.

well im bout to trade in my 2002 Acura RSX Type S for a Sport Fit. kinda scared of the transition though. 200+ hp to almost half sounds like a big difference. but i am definitely excited about the new great gas mileage and hopefully cheaper car insurance. also less temptation to speed i guess.

is there any warnings i should be looking for with this car or any options or accessories that we NEED?

Old 07-26-2006, 08:24 AM
kos
Originally Posted by Karvin Karl
My MT passes fine from 70 mph, albeit w/o passengers or cargo and no A/C on. I generally drive a bit faster than 70 but grabbing 4th gear from 5th, and running up to 100 mph is a hoot. My recipe is to buy the MT and buy a used crotch rocket for the speed-need.
I guess my crotch rocket would be the Scirocco. If I swap in a 2.0 16v it'll do 0-60 in the 6s which isn't bad. It's at 7.8 right now with the 1.8. However, it's a 20 year old VW tho soooo

At least I'm seeing a few Type-S owners here, that makes me feel a lot better. I thought I was one of the few trying to trade in my car for something that's half as powerful.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:45 AM
I traded in a 02' WRX for my Fit (Sport AT) and I really can't say I regret a thing. I get a little over twice the MPG then what I did with the WRX with almost exactly half the HP (109hp VS 225hp). The WRX was defintely much quicker but the Fit is as much fun to drive. Plus, I'd rather push a slower car to its limits then have to hold back on a faster car.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:00 AM
I just sold my 90 Prelude SI with 220,000 miles on it. It was still getting 28-30 mpg for my work commute. Although, I think some of the extra miles per gallon was coming from the extra quart of oil added each month. I'm still waiting for my BOM MT Fit to show up to replace it. I sold the Prelude in less than 12 hours after I posted it. Guess I shoulda asked for more. It was still peppy after 16 years. The wait is killing me though for the Fit, do hope I'm not disappointed.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:36 AM
I sold my evo VIII for the fit, and to be honest I am just as happy, maybe more with the sporty driving feedback plus the insurance is about half

Old 07-26-2006, 09:48 AM
I sold my 03 Dodge SRT-4 and getting ready to sell my 96 2.4 L Neon ACR for my Fit. Just depends what you are wanting out of the car. I am basically getting this car not for speed but for just fuel economy and reliability.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:41 AM
That's me

I have a 2000 Accord Coupe V6 that I have squeezed more than 200hp... and I still have it. It gets neglected too.
The FIT is a different car. With the drive by wire and electronic steering it is a different car to drive. With me it took some getting used to.
I commute a lot during the week and the FIT is the perfect car because of things like gas milage. I am getting a mix of 36mpg. Next year if the Honda Insight is killed and the drive train is mated to the FIT then that will be the almost perfect commute/fun to drive/utility vehicle!
To answer your question: once the 'little' FIT gets going the passing above 55 mph passing is good. Unfortunately the 1.5 lacks realistic torque and slows a bit up hills. I have an AT since I am commuting in stop and go traffic. Otherwise I would have a manual. Remember that this is a high rev engine and at times it sounds like it is really straining esp up hill. I would like to buy another FIT with MT but am waiting for the possibility of a Type R. I can dream... the FIT is really a fun car to drive.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
The Fit has just enough power for it's size and class imho. It doesn't mean I wouldn't mind having more but for me, it's quick enough on the city streets and highways. Won't win any races but it's not what it was designed for.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Traded my CTR for a Jazz due to spiralling fuel costs over here. Still got another 2 weeks until it arrives though. Other reasons were because the CTR didn't have aircon and my daughter couldn't see out of the back windows.

Quick Reply: Any ex-200+ hp Fit Freaks here?