General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Buying a used Fit - mileage question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Buying a used Fit - mileage question

Hi guys,
New to the forum, found it by researching my next car buy, which I'm hoping is a Honda Fit. It will be my first Honda.

I'm looking to buy used, and I was wondering if anyone had a strong opinion on how many miles are too many to buy this car used with. Example: I looked at a 2009 Fit yesterday, and it checked all the boxes for me: color, Sport version, minimal damage, clean title, drove well, good price. The only issue is that it has 110,000 miles on it, which seemed like a lot to me for 3-4 years.

Is that too much for these cars? Would you buy one with that amount of mileage, and if not, where would you cut it off? I'm looking to buy anywhere from 2007 onwards, depending on the condition/price and the above mentioned factors. I'd like to spend under 10k if possible. I typically drive 5-8k miles a year, and I'd like to keep the car for a few years at least.

Thanks for any help and insight - also if you have any other thoughts on buying a used Fit, I'd love to hear them. Hopefully this is the right place. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Age is more important than mileage in evaluating used cars. Constant highway travel is easy on the car. Still, use the high mileage to negotiate price, but dont let it scare you away from getting a bargain. A low mileage car that has more years on it has actually deteriorated more. Starting a cold engine and driving a mile to the store and back is much harder on everything. Years, not miles, take a toll on rubber, wiring, etc.

Hondas and Toyotas are often 300,000 mile cars, if those miles happen in less than 20 years.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by nikita
Age is more important than mileage in evaluating used cars. Constant highway travel is easy on the car. Still, use the high mileage to negotiate price, but dont let it scare you away from getting a bargain. A low mileage car that has more years on it has actually deteriorated more. Starting a cold engine and driving a mile to the store and back is much harder on everything. Years, not miles, take a toll on rubber, wiring, etc.

Hondas and Toyotas are often 300,000 mile cars, if those miles happen in less than 20 years.
Oh, that all makes sense. Thanks! I will take what you said and use it in my search - if not for this car, then another one. I hope it does work out with this one, though.

One last question - is there a place where I can look at recommended service intervals for the Fit? Like x thing being replaced at x miles?

Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 PM
For the price you're looking at, I wouldn't be worried about 100k on a Fit at all. Mine is a '10 and i've only got 50k, and almost all of my driving is freeway. The previous owner of that car had to have done a lot of highway driving to rack up that many miles, and like nikita said, highway miles are light on cars as far as wear and tear.

As far as service schedule, here is a good thread for you to read:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...intervals.html

Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
In addition to the previous posts, if you haven't already, check out car sites like Car and Autotrade to get an idea/feel of the going rate of the car/year/mileage ratios around your area. That's what I did and soon realized after monitoring the sites for a while, these cars don't lose much resale value. The Fit's my first Honda also.

Yes the mileage is a bit high but as nikita already mentioned, ditto to that... Could be a daily commuter (which the Fit is a fit) to/from like SD to LA... As you know, lots of people commute far nowadays. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Thanks everyone for all your help and insight. It really does help me out, I appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be a regular around here once I find my precious.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 AM
There are a few things that would worry me a little bit. One would be the fuel pump and the others would be just the general milage stuff; Brakes, wheel bearings, fluids, Clutch?, tires, maybe timing chain.
If the price were right, I'd pick it up and change all fluids, brakes, possibly coolant hoses (if needed), battery and then just clean the crap out of it along with seat covers, tint. So maybe negotitate for 7-9k and then throw 2K at it for maintence, cleaning, mods. Then drive another 50-75k worry free.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 PM
I bought an '07 fit with 284,000 miles on it last October. It's a great car, the previous owner drove about 1000 miles per week but was a maintenance fanatic. It will probably take me 3 years to reach 300,000 but I am enjoying the ride.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Hi , if I may add my 2 or was it 3 cents worth ( inflation) I too have an 07 Fit with the 5 speed that had 108K on it when I bought it . Like you. I thought that that was a lot of miles. Turned out the previous owner was back and forth up and down I-5 to California many times, racking up the miles.
I had to keep telling myself "It's a Honda" I paid $8,200 two years ago and then took it into a shop and asked to evaluate what I needed to do for it's 100,000 mile checkup. They wanted to change all the fluids,(clutch, brake, trans) serpentine belt, brake pads and rotors, spark plugs and a fuel injection and de- carbon service.
I used their recommendations and had someone else do the work for less than 1/2 the price and the car runs great. It has 118k on it now and I love it. 32 mpg on average mix. It's amazing what you can carry in the back.
As an earlier poster said, Highway miles are all smiles.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
110,000 miles is nothing especially since you said you wanted to keep it at least for a few years. 4 years of ownership x 8,000 miles + 110,000 miles= 142,000. Are you doubting a Honda will last that long?

A Honda will last way beyond that AND you'll get a good return if you decide to sell at that point.

My son's Nissan has 176K and my wife's Toyota has 163K and still running so don't worry about something "breaking". IT'S A HONDA!

Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Thanks everyone for your help! The gentleman selling the Fit needs it for another month, so we have a deal in place for me to buy it from him at that point, pending an inspection by a mechanic of my choosing. It is a one owner, completely clean title.

I have been reading this forum almost every day since, as well as doing some poking around in other Honda forums. It seems for the most part, everyone loves their Fits and they're reliable cars.

As long as the mechanic finds nothing majorly wrong or any signs of neglect, I'll buy it. I'm getting what I think is is a good deal on it, and I'm excited for my next car to be a Honda Fit. I think it will be the perfect car for me. I'll be sure to post pics when we finish the sale, and again, thanks for everyone's input!

Last edited by Carmen Sandiego; 02-15-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 AM
I just purchased a Fit Sport 09 in the LA area 3 months ago and like you found a lot of 80-110k mile cars. Surprisingly hard to find an good used 09 in LA as it seems anyone that are on the market flip in just a few days at a high price.

As you are a low mileage driver I wouldn't sweat 110k too much if you can get a great deal on it. I'd aggressively pursue other venues in the meanwhile, don't get set on one car. Makes bargaining and getting a better deal so much easier.

What price are you looking to buy from that owner out of curiosity?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 AM
I bought my 09 sport for $10600 out the door with 68k on it. I was extremely shocked when I found the car. I initially wanted a 07-8 fit, but even those years with higher mileage was more expensive than the one I bought. I love mine and you just need to keep your eyes pealed on autotrader.com and craigslist.com

I had to drive 3 hours to get mine, but well worth the $50 in gas

Old 02-20-2013, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Craigslist is good depends on location LA area harder to find up here use Fits do not seem to be in high demand. Found a 2007 Fit with 32k for $8,200 2007 Honda Fit - Low Mileage , 2008 http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/3528487778.html

or a 2011 with 40k for under 12k http://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/cto/3573215679.html

Last edited by cjecpa; 02-20-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 PM
I picked up the Fit today! So excited!

I wouldn't have been able to buy with confidence if it weren't for this forum and all of your helpful answers. Before purchase, the seller agreed to let me have a mechanic go through the car pretty thoroughly, and it was given a clean bill of health (he said it's on the original battery, so that might need to be replaced in the next year or so).

I ended up paying $8,500 for a clean title, one owner 2009 Honda Fit with 107,253 miles on it. After extensive research, lots of patience, and plenty of input from this board, I am happy with the deal I got.

Tomorrow I plan to give it a good hand wash. And I will have to figure out how to protect the AC condenser with that mesh mod. Thanks again everyone and I look forward to being around here more often.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
Congratulations! I bet your in a "FIT" of joy (groan) Happy daze!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carmen Sandiego

I wouldn't have been able to buy with confidence if it weren't for this forum and all of your helpful answers. Before purchase, the seller agreed to let me have a mechanic go through the car pretty thoroughly, and it was given a clean bill of health (he said it's on the original battery, so that might need to be replaced in the next year or so).

I ended up paying $8,500 for a clean title, one owner 2009 Honda Fit with 107,253 miles on it. After extensive research, lots of patience, and plenty of input from this board, I am happy with the deal I got.

Tomorrow I plan to give it a good hand wash. And I will have to figure out how to protect the AC condenser with that mesh mod. Thanks again everyone and I look forward to being around here more often.
Yup, do the mesh mod. Also, depending on when it was done last, I'd change the coolant and possibly the transmission fluid. Aside from the obvious oil change, these maintenances are dirt cheap and very easy to do yourself.

I'd recommend getting a set of rhino ramps. It'll actually be a great help when doing the bumper mesh mod. I ended up cursing like a pirate when I did the mod; I could have saved myself alot of anxiety by having the front of the car raised somewhat. With ramps, you might even be able to reach under there and tie the mesh without even removing the bumper cover. I don't like the billet/metal style gutter guard; I prefer the cheapo black plastic gutter guard. It's barely noticeable and at a glance it looks like the AC condenser itself!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carmen Sandiego

I wouldn't have been able to buy with confidence if it weren't for this forum and all of your helpful answers.

Thanks again everyone and I look forward to being around here more often.
Congrats! Sounds like a good buy!

Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
2007 Fit and still running great!

Old 04-07-2013, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
You must really like your Fit. Congrats on being over 300k.

Quick Reply: Buying a used Fit - mileage question