Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   Is the fit easy to steal??? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/7933-fit-easy-steal.html)

bluemeanie 08-21-2006 04:13 PM

Any car can be stolen, if the thief wants it bad enough. No security device or system is 100% fool proof. Maybe the only way to ensure you will possibly get your car back after it's stolen to the put Lo-Jack on your car. The club devices are such a joke, I don't even bother...

pNz 08-21-2006 06:26 PM

its not the kind on the steering wheel, its the one that goes from the brake pedal to the floor. i seen the bar on some infomercial with demos showing it as bullet proof, hacksaw proof, and even liquid nitrogen proof. i know nothing is 100% protection. however i think if they know they cant steal it within a few min they prolly wont bother. seeing that big @$$ hefty bar on my pedals should make most thieves think twice. at least thats what im hoping.

Tarx 08-23-2006 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by cliu
he states he has one that locks the clutch/brake/gas pedal. you are talking about a lock that locks the steering wheel. those are two totally different kinds of locks.

The one I had hooked tightly under one pedal (I think had it under the brake) plus locked around the steering wheel. There are many different types, but apparently most of them are easy to remove.

LuxuryFit 08-28-2006 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by corey415
The immobilizer will only stop an amateur thief.

"I went to see Montes at his custom motor-cycle shop about a half hour south of San Francisco and asked him how someone could have stolen my car. He just laughed. “If I want to take your Civic, I’ll do it in 10 seconds,” he said. Then he confirmed Hyser’s story. The mythical Honda override exists: It’s a series of presses and pulls of the emergency brake. Each car, it seems, has a unique override code, which correlates to the VIN."

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...key&topic_set=

The way i see it, there are two types of thieves. Amateur and Expert.
An amateur thief is the only type of thief with the desire to steal a Fit, but may or may not have the ablility to do so, (unless you leave the keys in the car while going into the 7-11).
An expert thief isn't going to waste her time on a Fit, she'll be looking at BMW's, Mercedies, and Acuras.

The bottom line: if your gonna invest the time and energy to steal a car, why waste it all on a $13,000 Fit, and instead go for a $30,000. Acura instead?

quangalang 08-31-2006 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by LuxuryFit
The way i see it, there are two types of thieves. Amateur and Expert.
An amateur thief is the only type of thief with the desire to steal a Fit, but may or may not have the ablility to do so, (unless you leave the keys in the car while going into the 7-11).
An expert thief isn't going to waste her time on a Fit, she'll be looking at BMW's, Mercedies, and Acuras.

The bottom line: if your gonna invest the time and energy to steal a car, why waste it all on a $13,000 Fit, and instead go for a $30,000. Acura instead?

why does the theif have to be a she????:p

hqly 09-03-2006 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by quangalang

Cause anyone who steal is a b*tch!

LuxuryFit 09-06-2006 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by quangalang

Don't you think it would be sexest against women to suggest only a guy could steal a car?
:rolleyes:

Don't get me started . . .

quangalang 09-07-2006 02:23 AM

girls are nice they dont steal LOL

Special 11-15-2007 01:01 AM

Like others have said, if they wanted the car, they will find a way.

I have heard a lot of people who have gotten their cars stolen even with the "bullet proof" autolock. Even though its bulletproof, they can still bend the pedal arm and shimmy it out.

(sry for being so late to this thread)

shudderbug 11-15-2007 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer (Post 82439)
Then why not buy a new one and make 5k?:rolleyes:

LOL!! That's the best joke I've heard all day :)

FITrunner 11-15-2007 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by quangalang (Post 87959)
girls are nice they dont steal LOL

LIES! They steal the content of your wallet!!! :p :D

*hides from the female Fit Freaks* muahaha

lvndngrsly 11-15-2007 02:38 PM

I tape a close up of my overweight grandmother to the steering wheel. It's a deterrent with a perfect record; no one can stand looking at that woman for even a second.

wpgfit 11-15-2007 06:30 PM

#1 stolen vehicle here is a dodge caravan.. circa 1992-1994 or so.. which I also have.. which was stolen once and almost stolen a 2nd time last year (immobilizer stopped the 2nd one, but didn't stop the damage they did when it wouldn't start)

Not for parts or cruising but was told they're stolen so the thieves can steal more stuff from some place they break into (someone's home, business, dozens of car stereos in one night, whatever).

I'd suggest a visible form of theft "proofing" your car like the steering wheel lock or highly visible clutch/brake type lock, or brighter stickers saying it has an immobilizer to prevent thieves most likely to damage something from trying in the first place(move on to an easier target).

On the caravan I now leave it unlocked and hope the thief can read (immobilizer sticker on each window), it's been rummaged through a few times but I keep absolutely nothing of value in there heh. So far it's helped prevent the passenger door from getting MORE knicks/holes/scratches underneath the handle.

Firebat666 11-15-2007 06:58 PM

its my thought that no car is "unstealable" its just how hard... an immobilizer is gotten around... actualy pretty easy.... but u need lots of expensive computer stuff and not be a moron.... im sure Fits will get stolen... it sux yes but thats what insurence is for.... or Lo-Jack. i doubt that the fit is any more stealable than any other car equipped with an immobilizer....i mean even ferraris *sp?* are stealable....

slohonda 11-15-2007 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by ngoldberg (Post 82449)
If you plan on getting a remote start your car becomes much easier to steal, why you ask? because you need to give up one of the keys so that the shop can permantly install the chip in the car. At that point it is no harder to steal that hot wiring it.

there are other options rather than giving up a key for your autostart. I install hundreds of automatic starters a year, and on the fit i use a programmable module. It self learns the chip in the key, and sends the signal through the vehicles data wires. there is no key left hidden in the vehicles as it used to be done in the past. Idatalink.com sells the modules i install in vehicles. they are the best solution for doing an automatic starter in the fit. I myself have one installed in my fit.

Steeldog 11-15-2007 09:32 PM

maybe so, maybe no...

Girls might or might not steal.
But a Suzuki Burgman 650 will not do 120 MPH.
That ain't sexist, it's just fact. The wheels are too small to get that kind of top-end from that engine. On the upside, you can haul lots of beer on a Burgman.

pip_rocks 11-15-2007 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by FITrunner (Post 195243)
LIES! They steal the content of your wallet!!! :p :D

*hides from the female Fit Freaks* muahaha

EXACTLY!! cause you've got more in the wallet when you drive something economical like the fit :D

barelyinaudible 11-17-2007 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by loganjnt (Post 82801)
I actually came out tonight from work and I had a scratch (that was not there Friday at least) on my driver's door at the top near the gasket. Looked like someone may have tried to use a wire hanger or something on my door. (would not be so suspect if 2 other people had not been broken in to just in the last week here at our mall)

you know, funny thing, i had the same scratch, and the gasket looked like it had been dislodged a bit... luckily, the fits have decently thick doors, and the pole-type door locks are WAY harder to shimmy with a coat hanger than the paddle style... though the door lock button is kind of out in the open...

one more thing, i noticed that if you just pull the locks up, the alarm will still go off if you open the door... i don't know if pushing the unlock button on the door will disable it...

storm88000 11-25-2007 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by pNz (Post 82174)
someone already tried to steal mine and didnt get it if that helps lol

And what a big surpise, you live in California....:rolleyes:

HONDAMATIC 11-25-2007 01:06 PM

yeah u can pick it up and carry it away