General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is the fit easy to steal???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Is the fit easy to steal???

I was wondering how easy or hard is it to still a fit?
I know the key has a chip in it. But my dealership
tells me its a joke, that it only to protect the ignition
lock, that is can still be easily stolen by hot wiring it.

This is my first car with a chip in the key.
Also was wondering how to get around it
with a remote start alarm, I've heard of a transponder,
but can't find them...
thanks!

Old 08-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Passive immobilizers are REALLY hard to get past.

From TI.com
Since 1995, when ignition immobilizers were becoming the standard for all vehicles sold in Europe, thefts of automobiles equipped with electronic immobilizers have decreased by 90%. Following this success, automobile manufacturers including Ford, Hyundai, Nissan, Lexus, and Toyota have been offering ignition immobilizer systems on many models sold throughout North America and Asia.
Also check this article.

Most important, if the controller computers do not receive the correct code, there is no way to start the car. Neither removing the battery to shut down the system, nor hot-wiring past the ignition, nor any other tricks thieves have devised over the years will persuade the vehicle to start without the correct code.
Your dealership just wants to make money off of you.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:39 PM
pNz
5 Year Member
someone already tried to steal mine and didnt get it if that helps lol

Old 08-18-2006, 08:14 PM
$hit someone already tried to get yours. wtf

Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Thanks for the link.
Glad to hear the fit is hard to steal!

Old 08-18-2006, 10:40 PM
if they really want to steal your car, the easliest way is to tow away the car.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Why steal a 15K car?

Old 08-19-2006, 12:09 AM
ghetto ppl need reliable cars too!! But yea the immobilizer will defenetly help.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Packy
Passive immobilizers are REALLY hard to get past.
Your dealership just wants to make money off of you.
The immobilizer will only stop an amateur thief.

"I went to see Montes at his custom motor-cycle shop about a half hour south of San Francisco and asked him how someone could have stolen my car. He just laughed. “If I want to take your Civic, I’ll do it in 10 seconds,” he said. Then he confirmed Hyser’s story. The mythical Honda override exists: It’s a series of presses and pulls of the emergency brake. Each car, it seems, has a unique override code, which correlates to the VIN."

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...key&topic_set=

Last edited by corey415; 08-19-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Weezer
Why steal a 15K car?
Because it's worth 20k if parted out.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by corey415
The immobilizer will only stop an amateur thief.

"I went to see Montes at his custom motor-cycle shop about a half hour south of San Francisco and asked him how someone could have stolen my car. He just laughed. “If I want to take your Civic, I’ll do it in 10 seconds,” he said. Then he confirmed Hyser’s story. The mythical Honda override exists: It’s a series of presses and pulls of the emergency brake. Each car, it seems, has a unique override code, which correlates to the VIN."

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...key&topic_set=
Good article! I suppose anything that can be locked can also be unlocked... it's a given.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by corey415
Because it's worth 20k if parted out.
Then why not buy a new one and make 5k?

Old 08-19-2006, 04:49 PM
There are definetly ways to get around the imobilizer. But a thief must really want the car if they through all of the things to get it. Of course you can always tow it. That would be the easiest.

If you plan on getting a remote start your car becomes much easier to steal, why you ask? because you need to give up one of the keys so that the shop can permantly install the chip in the car. At that point it is no harder to steal that hot wiring it.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:05 PM
pNz
5 Year Member
you would think that this car would be on top of the theft list soon. considering the dealers cant get them, and they are being sold way over msrp. someone tried to steal mine 2 fridays ago. they tried going in through the front passenger door. i can tell they used a flat piece of something (maybe a jimmy). they (he) must have tried to pry open the door and reach the lock pin. i would have never noticed cept i seen like a 1/4 inch scratch on my door lock. so looks like he was actually able to reach the door lock but couldnt get the correct leverage to pop up the lock. im figuring if he was any better he definatly would have got in. as far as getting the car started, its anyones guess. i have one of those bullet proof, hack saw proof etc etc. bars that goes from my clutch (or brake) to the floor board now. the car wont be able to start with that bar on. im sure someones going to get thier fit stolen soon then well know how effective the immobilizer is.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:05 PM
what makes a car popular to steal is actually its popularity, its rarity. its not very easy to steal a rare car and sell it whole, without getting busted. its better to steal a bit of an older car that has been popular and part it out via the chop shop.

older cars need the parts because they need the maintenance. the people trying to break in to your brand new fits are probably just lowly drug addicts hoping to jack your stereo and make 20 bucks for the next fix.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Weezer
Then why not buy a new one and make 5k?
Because I already have one rusting parts car in my driveway, and the neighbors would start to complain.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
Since most theives are amatuers the Immobilizer will stop them. With so few fits out there there isn't really a huge demand for parts. The reason the older civics/Accords were stolen was it was so easy. If a pro can steal any car in ten seconds why not steal BMWs? Maybe that is why the Z3 was tops on the most stolen list this year. The only Hondas were older integras(98-00)

Old 08-21-2006, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by pNz
i have one of those bullet proof, hack saw proof etc etc. bars that goes from my clutch (or brake) to the floor board now. the car wont be able to start with that bar on.
Had one of those on my previous car. When the police found the car a couple of days after it was stolen, it was heavily stripped, but perhaps as some kind of joke, the bar was the only thing left inside the car. On the floor. According to the cops, it takes them a few seconds to cut the steering wheel to remove the bar.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:18 AM
I actually came out tonight from work and I had a scratch (that was not there Friday at least) on my driver's door at the top near the gasket. Looked like someone may have tried to use a wire hanger or something on my door. (would not be so suspect if 2 other people had not been broken in to just in the last week here at our mall)

Last edited by loganjnt; 08-21-2006 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tarx
Had one of those on my previous car. When the police found the car a couple of days after it was stolen, it was heavily stripped, but perhaps as some kind of joke, the bar was the only thing left inside the car. On the floor. According to the cops, it takes them a few seconds to cut the steering wheel to remove the bar.
he states he has one that locks the clutch/brake/gas pedal. you are talking about a lock that locks the steering wheel. those are two totally different kinds of locks.

Quick Reply: Is the fit easy to steal???