General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Base vs Sport, which is best & why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Base vs Sport, which is best & why?

Was doing research on Base Vs Sport. I like the looks of the Sport better. The Base is 50 lbs lighter. According to Consumer Reports, Sport has a "choppier" ride. Base is their choice. I know suspension is different on Sport. Also, would you want an auto trans or a stick? MPG is better with auto trans, right?

Thanks for your answers!!

Old 12-15-2013, 09:42 PM
The 50lbs is neglible. With the stick, you can moderate your right foot and get equL or better mpg than the auto.

It more or less should be, can you live without the extra options on the sport has over the base.
Im pretty sure when it comes time, youll slap on some different suspension and negate the "choppier" ride.
Drive both, and chose for yourself. We can offer advice but your preference and financial ability is what matters.

Im guessing you're looking to buy new?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
It is according to if you are looking at a manual or automatic transmission. The base is rated the highest subcompact automatic and the Sport is rated the highest subcompact manual based on Consumer Reports.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Hi Kat. I found 2 really good prices on USAA for a 2013 new Base with stick shift. Not quite ready to buy, but it would be the Base or maybe a used Sport, or used Base. Kinda leaning toward a stick cuz drove 'em all my life and it's cheaper than auto. Price is important to me right now. I'm just curious as to what folks here think about Base vs Sport. I think most have a Sport from what I read.

Oh, was gonna ask if you are in the Air Force. I was, my claim to fame is that I was stationed at Walker AFB in Roswell, NM. Yes that Roswell. No do not glow in the dark and have not been abducted recently.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjecpa
It is according to if you are looking at a manual or automatic transmission. The base is rated the highest subcompact automatic and the Sport is rated the highest subcompact manual based on Consumer Reports.
Thanks for the input!

Old 12-15-2013, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 2012 Sport with an manual transmission. I pick the Sport for some additional features not offer on the base. It comes down to what you want to do to the car because a lot of the features can be added to the base through aftermarket.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Sport has cruise I believe

Old 12-16-2013, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by siguy
Was doing research on Base Vs Sport. I like the looks of the Sport better. The Base is 50 lbs lighter. According to Consumer Reports, Sport has a "choppier" ride. Base is their choice. I know suspension is different on Sport. Also, would you want an auto trans or a stick? MPG is better with auto trans, right?

1.) The suspension is not changed in base v. sport, the only reason for the differing ride qualities are the tires. Base's have a taller sidewall on the tire, the sports have a larger wheel.

2.) Stick has significantly better real world fuel economy.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
I wish I'd gotten a base model.. The lower body cladding on the sport models drag, scrape and get torn off on bad roads and most of the guys on FF end up change out the stuff for aftermarket body part as well as upgrade the sound systems,badges and wheels/tires... The base model looks great with a drop and nice wheels... If you do power modifications you get to embarrass drivers when you pull away from them and at the same time the cops don't watch you as much.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for the input. OK, Taf white Base with stick and dark tint on the windows, to help cope with the heat in summer. 117 is no big deal here. heh

Old 12-16-2013, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cab0053
Sport has cruise I believe
It's included on the Base since about 2011. That and the USB connection made it to later Base models.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Hi Kat. I found 2 really good prices on USAA for a 2013 new Base with stick shift. Not quite ready to buy, but it would be the Base or maybe a used Sport, or used Base. Kinda leaning toward a stick cuz drove 'em all my life and it's cheaper than auto. Price is important to me right now. I'm just curious as to what folks here think about Base vs Sport. I think most have a Sport from what I read.

Oh, was gonna ask if you are in the Air Force. I was, my claim to fame is that I was stationed at Walker AFB in Roswell, NM. Yes that Roswell. No do not glow in the dark and have not been abducted recently.
Yes, now medically retired at 27, lol.
I was at Altus, Ok and Yokota Ab Japan, Vehicle ops, deployed twice to the great sandbox of swinging dicks.

Ive got a base, bought new and had it ever since. I do want the fog lights off a sport but nothing else. Im at almost 150k, its been pushed down to winter beater now or when my truck us broke.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Administrator
The leather wrapped steering wheel with paddle shiftors and overall aero package alone were enough for me to not even consider buying the base

I also believe that the Sport will better hold it's value over time vs the Base

Old 12-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member

i didnt bother with the base cause i didnt feel like adding stuff to it. even with the sport i had to do quite a bit of work to get it to where i was satisified.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
It's included on the Base since about 2011. That and the USB connection made it to later Base models.
Thanks, didn't know about those changes

Old 12-17-2013, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Katsumoto
Yes, now medically retired at 27, lol.
I was at Altus, Ok and Yokota Ab Japan, Vehicle ops, deployed twice to the great sandbox of swinging dicks.

Ive got a base, bought new and had it ever since. I do want the fog lights off a sport but nothing else. Im at almost 150k, its been pushed down to winter beater now or when my truck us broke.

Sorry to hear you're medically retired. The sandbox was no fun. In my time it was The Nam. My little brother went there after I got out of USAF, came back nuttier. argh But you know what? As one Vet to another, let me give you a big salute, and say thanks for serving our country!

Was also gonna ask you, when you were in Japan, what kinds of cars did you see there the most? Lotsa kei cars? Just curious.

Last edited by siguy; 12-17-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
Starting with the 2012 models they added some extra sound insulation, which is something to consider if you're buying used. I test drove a 2009 before buying a 2012 new and there was a noticable difference in road noise between the two. My vote would be Sport because I think all the extras you get are very much worth the small increase in price.

-Dustin

Old 12-17-2013, 10:43 AM
If you plan on getting 2011+ MT the differences really come down to aesthetics. If you like the bodykit stuff, wheels and foglights get the sport. Suspension is the same except the Sport has a rear sway bar. If you want to add a sway bar to the base it's about $160 from Progress. If you want to add leather wrap to the base steering wheel Honda sells it fairly cheaply, just be good at stitching and have some time on your hands.

I have a 2010 base MT. I am surprised it has power windows. It doesn't have much else (no cruise, no vsa, no USB, no extra sound insulation) but I wouldn't have it any other way, call me a minimalist.

There are rumors they changed the shocks or springs in 2012 to be a bit more comfortable, but these are mostly unconfirmed (I believe, correct me if i'm wrong) and just assumed because the Honda part number changed and people are saying the car doesn't feel as sporty as it used to. Not saying it's not true, just saying I haven't seen definitive evidence, but would like to.

See here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...vs-2010-a.html

Old 12-17-2013, 11:06 AM
As has been mentioned, the differences in creature comforts between the base and the sport are pretty minimal these days. It's mostly a cosmetic difference, especially for the manual models. (With an automatic transmission, you get the paddle shifters added, which IMHO are somewhat significantly better.) For me, the cosmetics, tweeters, fog lights (which are largely cosmetic), and map lights weren't worth the extra money. I actually preferred the lighter interior of the base; it feels less like a cave.

The base steering wheel does feel a bit cheap. The Honda leather wrap fits very tightly and improves that noticeably, though it is a bit time-consuming to lace it on. There are probably some other aftermarket covers that are nice, too; just be aware that the cheap ones at places like Wal-mart generally don't fit the Fit steering wheel.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
1.) The suspension is not changed in base v. sport, the only reason for the differing ride qualities are the tires. Base's have a taller sidewall on the tire, the sports have a larger wheel.
Incorrect. The Fit Sport has an integrated RSB while the base does not.

---
In addition to what everyone else has mentioned above (about cosmetics, USB, etc. etc.), the 2012-13 Base shares the same front bumper as the 09-11. Something to consider if you ever get into a collision. Easier to source and cheaper ($30 or so) too.

Last edited by jdmj0; 12-17-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Base vs Sport, which is best & why?