General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Will I ever feel safe again?

Old 03-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Will I ever feel safe again?

So, rearended in my Fit Feb 21, then a wheel flies off a vehicle on the interstate and bounces off a Kia and then shoots under my rental Crysler 200 before I can do anything about it. I am now officially a scared driver, and I will not be taking interstates for a while.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the collision repair shop as to whether or not my Fit can be fixed or if it ends up totaled out, but I honestly don't know what I'm going to feel safe driving now. I used to drive an Impala, and I can handle a big car. I guess I could get an accord, but they're so huge now.

Safety of cars has improved, but smaller cars are never going to be as safe as a large sedan. The Fit just handles so well, I hope I can calm down. My nerves are shot.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry for bad experiences you've had. I would just look at it as a run of bad luck though. You could go for years from now without having a single incident.

-Dustin

Old 03-12-2014, 10:44 AM
I like your perspective. As safe as Honda has been able to make even their smaller cars, I don't necessarily feel I need to get the largest model they have. Had I been in the Fit yesterday, I would have had a better view around me and way more room to get out of the way of that tire.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Im kind of in the same boat, I hit a deer 3 weeks ago, 3 hours after that almost got run off the road. About a week later, in my rental Chrystler 200....haha....someone pulled out in front of me nearly causing me to run off the road again... still waiting to get my Fit back, should be next week sometime.

I personally feel much safer in the Fit, I can see better, and i know how it will react in certain situations, those bigger cars freak me out.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Wow, Ckipps! I know there are a lot of deer around here, and god help you if you hit one at high speed. Crysler 200 is a far cry from the Fit, but that's kinda silly to day, but the visibility is crap. Its cool to be in a boat, just floating around somewhere in it, but you can't really react to your surroundings in those cars at all.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Luckily it was a small doe, I was going about 45 mph. I needed a new hood, bumper and repairs to the roof were done (the deer actually slid up my windshield and onto the roof before running off into the woods) I get it back next week, and it cannot come soon enough.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:43 AM
So the windshield wasn't damaged??

Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Nope, just a smudge of some deer spit. I like to think my car acted as a "deer plow" in that situation...I got lucky for sure, it could have been a lot worse.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
Sorry for bad experiences you've had. I would just look at it as a run of bad luck though. You could go for years from now without having a single incident.

-Dustin
Law of Averages! U have had a streak of bad luck. Now, it's probably going to be good luck. If i was you, i'd bet on the lottery right about now.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:59 AM
I believe I'll just either get my Fit back if its not totaled, or get the Blue Raspberry one and exchange the top tail light of whichever car its going to be with an LED multi-directional light. Couldn't hurt. Then I'll go play powerball!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:53 PM
You know what that's completely normal to feel that way after an accident let alone two accidents. I rear ended someone a long time back on the freeway going a decent speed (brakes failed!), but they also sped up when they saw me coming so there wasn't that much damage, but it still got my nerves shook up for a good month or so, I didn't want to drive on the freeway.

Give it time it will go away. Just get back out there and don't be afraid to cruise slow in the right lanes to feel it out again, that's how I got over it. Don't do anything drastic with selling/trading cars in the mental state you're in, that's kneejerk and you'll probably regret it later.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Thanks, Wanderer, and wow, failed breaks. It happens, unfortunately. I always notice the folks in that right lane on the interstate, and I bet they have either been in a wreck, or just understand that there just isn't much of a hurry. I will be one of them, most likely, enjoying my cruise. However, until I turn in the rental car, no more interstates, ha ha.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Yeah man, honestly, I think the people in the right lane have the right idea, as long as they stay over there i've not no issues with them.

Brakes failed because I was young and dumb in an ill maintained car stuck in traffic on a hill and when it opened up I took off... well traffic completely stopped again and my pads were gone and fluid was old so they faded out, stepped on the pedal, went to floor, yanked the ebrake to save

No damage to the other car (it was an SUV) and just had an dent in my hood because I went underneath, but I sure was shook up especially being a youngster. I know better now but at the time had very limited knowledge of cars. We never had one as a kid because I was in a city and we just took mass transit everywhere.

You'll be alright just get back out there.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 PM
Ah, yeah, the close calls definitely wake people up!

Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
I am a driver

I drive 10 hours a day 5 days a week. The things i've seen. Just today i had to avoid a rather large dog and the guy behind me hit it. It gets scary when people cross the center line.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
My GF was in a crash a year or so ago.

To this day, she's still horrified to drive in biggish cities.

I've found the more I've gotten her to drive in them, the more comfortable she's gotten.

Don't avoid the roads which you fear, confront them head on, it'll speed the return of your confidence.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Don't avoid the roads which you fear, confront them head on, it'll speed the return of your confidence.
Mike dropping life knowledge. Just replace "road" with whatever is bothering you at the moment

Old 03-13-2014, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes! I don't think you should avoid the interstates. Avoiding a fear can only help it grow. If you drive on the interstates again, your fears will fade in a week or so I'm sure.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:07 PM
I honestly believe that once I end up avoiding a few wrecks, ya know, that moment when you think, "HA, thanks to MY driving, we didn't crash!" then I'll probably feel back to normal. I took the interstate this morning, in the slow lane, and it was uneventful

Old 03-13-2014, 01:31 PM
Just go to a couple track days, you'll get over it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will I ever feel safe again?