General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Engine Stall

Old 04-13-2015, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Engine Stall

my 2011 honda fit (77,500 miles) (manual trans) ------- recently is having problems with "engine stalling"

a couple of weeks ago I accidentally hit the gas pedal too hard which might have flooded the engine with gas, then this engine stall started to happen.

whenever i am going to a stop light the engine will die-out, (NO problem w/ starting car back)
or when I press the pedal it seems like the engine is vibrating, its like the engine is still flooded with gas... then the engine light came up......

So I brought the car to the dealer, then they reset the engine light , and they told me there was no problem with the engine, and if i want i could come back in the weekend for them to fully diagnose it . BUt everything was OK when I left the dealership. Car is running smoothly.

then a couple of weeks ago i was going uphill, I think I pressed the gas pedal a little too hard which might have caused the same problem ---- "engine stalling"

it's like the engine was flooded, engine light came up again.... brought it to an independent mechanic , reset the the light ..everything was OK again

today the engine was stalling again, i don't think i pressed the gas pedal hard for it to have the engine to get flooded, what could be the cause of it?
Is there anything that needs to be replaced?

- oxygen sensor
- mechanic said fit does not have fuel filter ( so nothing to replace)
- any fuse i need to replace

I will bring this to dealership this Saturday for a FULL diagnostic to find out
if any sensor needs to be replace

any help is appreciated

I FORGOT WHAT THE CODE WAS WHEN IT WAS READ BY MY MECHANIC ....

(THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS OFF ALREADY)

thanks

Last edited by phenoyz; 05-26-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator
You are not going to flood the engine just from pressing the gas too hard while driving it. Hell I have berried my foot into the gas pedde, spinning the tires all the way through 3rd gear, just because.

The ECU is seeing an issue so it is throwing a check engine light with a code. What kind of dealership/shop are you taking it to if they are just clearing the code? Just because they clear the CEL doesn't mean the problem is fixed. With out knowing what CEL is being thrown we will not really know what the issue is, its just kind of blind guessing. My initial thought is one or more of the coil packs is going bad.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
You are not going to flood the engine just from pressing the gas too hard while driving it. Hell I have berried my foot into the gas pedde, spinning the tires all the way through 3rd gear, just because.

The ECU is seeing an issue so it is throwing a check engine light with a code. What kind of dealership/shop are you taking it to if they are just clearing the code? Just because they clear the CEL doesn't mean the problem is fixed. With out knowing what CEL is being thrown we will not really know what the issue is, its just kind of blind guessing. My initial thought is one or more of the coil packs is going bad.
The first time it happened I brought it to a Honda dealership. the check engine light was ON, they cleared it then the car started to run smoothly.

Second time it happened my mechanic cleared it, then car run smoothly again.

Why does the car run smoothly after the CEL was cleared?

If its what you said a "coil pack" going bad ....
How much will it cost to fix. Is my engine OK?

Thank you for your help.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:38 AM
We need to know the error code to give any good input, everything else is just guessing.

Your engine itself is fine, otherwise it wouldn't run well when the ECU is cleared/reset. It's definitely either a sensor going out or ignition problem, but knowing the error code would help pinpoint the issue.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Like Wanderer said, there is probable a sensor going bad. The CEL is there to help you trouble shoot the issue. With out knowing what that CEL is its just guess work.