General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How to determine Fit generations at a glance

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
How to determine Fit generations at a glance

It is pretty easy for me to identify third generation Fits sold in the USA at a glance because of the distinctive Volvo style tail lights and the sleeker headlights, but I'm still a novice when it comes to differentiating a 1st and 2nd generation Fit.

So far I'm thinking that the 1st generation can be identified by the smaller side triangular window near the windshield.

And I'm thinking that the 2nd generation window in the same position is somewhat larger.

Am I right on these points?

If anyone has any better tips for spotting differences at a glance, I'd like to know about them. By a glance, I mean momentarily seeing them on a highway or I'm passing by as they are parked.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
It's not about spelling out their differences.
If you are familiar with both, you know how to tell them apart.

It's kind of telling apart a hamburger from a fish sandwich. Noone would try to explain how they are different.

If you can't tell them apart by looking at them, you would have to look at the vin code and if it starts with the GD3, it's a first generation, if with the GE8, it's the second gen.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member

nice.....

Old 05-16-2015, 10:23 PM
For the first and second generation, I find the outside rear view mirror mounts to be a good tell-tale. The first generation has body-colored mounts that sprout up diagonally, kind of like a little tree branch. The second generation has black ones that are more flat.

The deep swoopy crease down the side of the 3rd generation is another obvious distinction between it and the others.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:20 PM
seems to me that the 2nd gen roof slopes more, at least on the sides, near the rear. the first gen rear window is also much bigger. much bigger sail windows on the 2nd gen as mentioned, and of course you can always peek inside the interior - 2nd gen is much, much different there

Old 05-17-2015, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
The three generations couldn't look much different.

Although I occasionally will mix up the GK with the equally awful Pontiac Vibe/oldish Nissan Quest.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member

How in the world could I have forgotten to mention the swoop on the side of the 3rd generation Fit, as seen on mine posted above.

john, phenoyz, Drew, Slantize and mike, thanks for taking the time to provide some pointers for making an identification at a glance. For example, I am now able to look at that yellow Fit at the top of the Fit Freak page and tell that it is a 1st generation model.

This reminds me of when I was taking a ride with my youngest son recently and we saw a classic car parked along the road. I said, "That's a '55 Chevy." He asked how I could be sure so I explained that the tail lights of the '55, '56, and '57 are all different. I guess they all look alike to him, but I grew up with those cars and even owned a '57 Chevy Nomad.

Anyway, now I can tell which generation a Fit belongs to at a glance. Thanks all!

Old 05-22-2015, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Wikipedia usually has pics of most any car's different generations so you can see them on the same page. I can't always describe detail differences between vehicles, but in the case of Fits I can tell at a glance the 3 generations.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
The 3rd gen's front and side is so ugly it can be spotted from anywhere really. It's like two civics that were brother and sister had a child and it was a GK Fit. Also, the GK Fit has a rear spoiler that is very much in line with the body of the car, kinda like the flying nun style of the GD1 which was never for sale in N-A. The GD and GE sports have a spoiler that sticks out more from the lines of the body.

The windshield is a dead giveaway also the size of the rear passenger windows. The GK is like 80% door 20% window where as the previous gens have more of a 60/40 ratio and thus a bigger rear window.

The GD has softer lines and just looks older IMO. The GE has more agressive styling and looks more modern.

Of course, on the GK there is that weird door slash that runs along the side of the car.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
For me there are 2 main obvious differences to see.
The hood of the 1st generation is just smooth throughout, while 2nd gen has some soft "edges" molded into it. But the most obvious thing is the badge on the back. 1st gen has a blue circle for the dot on the "i" in "Fit", while 2nd gen does not.

I also find the headlights taillights quite discernable between the two, although that's not a difference that I can really explain.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by MJetz
But the most obvious thing is the badge on the back. 1st gen has a blue circle for the dot on the "i" in "Fit", while 2nd gen does not.
You have a very keen eye if the most obvious difference is that little dot on the rear hatch.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Rear tails. 1st gen is square, second is pointed on the sides.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoBucky
You have a very keen eye if the most obvious difference is that little dot on the rear hatch.
haha, well it's not really something you can necessarily catch if it's just driving by, that's for sure.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Name:  2V8Qiym.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  93.8 KB