General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Fit vs Fiat Abarth - opinions welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:13 AM
Honda Fit vs Fiat Abarth - opinions welcomed

Hello,

I'm new here because I am interested in purchasing a Honda Fit and wanted some opinions compared to the Fiat Abarth.

I know they are apples and oranges but, my wife and I are looking to purchase a 3rd vehicle for 2 and from work, and so she can get more proficient at driving a manual transmission.

Currently we have a 2016 Subaru Wrx and a 2016 Subaru Forester. So size does not matter very much.

The fiat Abarth is one we "want" more, and the fit seems like what we should buy.

The fiat is newer (2013 vs 2011), more expensive (2700.00 difference), it has lower miles (3k vs 31k), it has more features (leather, heated seats, climate control, 17in wheels), and of course it's turbo charged. Plus it's more fun.

However, the fit is a very proven platform and will require little maintenance and run a long time. It's a 2011 base model, 1 owner, and manual transmission. Plus the maintenance will be easier, the resale will be easier, this is an awesome support forum. The fit has a lot of pros. It's also a lot larger and will have more room to tote around our dogs.

Anyone here have both? The fiat forum guys think that we should go fiat. I'm curious to see what you have to say and why.

We are trying to get the fit for 10k instead of the 10.8k. The fiat is 13.5 and they are firm on it. If we can get the fit for 10k we will do the fit. If they aren't willing to budge, then we just may go fiat.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
My opinion is buy what you want versus what you should. This doesn't sound like your only and primary vehicle, it's a fun car. Buy the one your going to have more fun in. You have other more utilitarian vehicles when the need arises.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting topic, which we had more folks that owned both so we could get some comparisons. I've considered the Fiat just because it is fun, on the other hand I'm old enough to remember "Fix It Again Tony" and the way Fiat abandoned american owners the last time.. Sucked when your cheap little Italian car required 6 months to get some weird little part..

I like the "L" model.

Cheers

Old 05-16-2016, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Not really apples to apples, but I bought a '15 Fit a year ago after seriously considering a new '15 Abarth. The discount off MSRP for the Fiat was so compelling at the time it put both cars in the same price range. I loved the Abarth (power was comparable to the '02 GTI it was replacing) but I eventually rejected it because I'm in it for the long haul and saw a lot of problems down the road maintenance-wise after reading forums and talking to a few Fiat service guys (one service guy told me how getting spare parts were a big problem). Plus I couldn't get over the fact that I couldn't get a spare tire with the Abarth, even an after-sale spare kit, because it wouldn't fit.

But like the prev poster said, if you don't have to depend on it as a daily driver it might be fun to own esp. in the summer. If I was like you with 2 Subarus already in the garage I might have bought it just for fun.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by bach
Not really apples to apples, but I bought a '15 Fit a year ago after seriously considering a new '15 Abarth. The discount off MSRP for the Fiat was so compelling at the time it put both cars in the same price range. I loved the Abarth (power was comparable to the '02 GTI it was replacing) but I eventually rejected it because I'm in it for the long haul and saw a lot of problems down the road maintenance-wise after reading forums and talking to a few Fiat service guys (one service guy told me how getting spare parts were a big problem). Plus I couldn't get over the fact that I couldn't get a spare tire with the Abarth, even an after-sale spare kit, because it wouldn't fit.

But like the prev poster said, if you don't have to depend on it as a daily driver it might be fun to own esp. in the summer. If I was like you with 2 Subarus already in the garage I might have bought it just for fun.

It's funny you mention the spare tire thing, I was looking into that too. Not having a spare bothers me a great deal.

Plus for oil changes you have to remove the intake.

To replace the trans fluid, you have to remove a motor mount.

I threw out an offer of 10k on the fit and was countered with 10.5. I'm mulling it over as we speak.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Does the FIAT come with run-flat tires?
Cause on my BMW they sucked, never bought another pair.. Especially since the BMW has a full size spare.. now.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:59 PM
Well they came down to 10k on the fit. So we are taking that! I'm pretty pumped about it.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member
You probably just saved yourself thousand dollars of repair down the road...

Old 05-17-2016, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Does the FIAT come with run-flat tires?
Cause on my BMW they sucked, never bought another pair.. Especially since the BMW has a full size spare.. now.
It comes with a repair kit and pump similar to the a fix a flat can.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by Frenzal
You probably just saved yourself thousand dollars of repair down the road...
Well, I feel the fit is what we should have been looking at all along. It's a secondary vehicle that is used for 2 and from work, hauling the dogs, and for instances where we don't want our nicer cars in danger. Plus after my wife drove it around the neighborhood last night, I'm ultra glad we didn't get an Italian sports car because it may not have survived.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kamonjj
Well, I feel the fit is what we should have been looking at all along. It's a secondary vehicle that is used for 2 and from work, hauling the dogs, and for instances where we don't want our nicer cars in danger. Plus after my wife drove it around the neighborhood last night, I'm ultra glad we didn't get an Italian sports car because it may not have survived.
Fiat's reliability is ranked dead last in the entire auto industry also.....

Old 05-18-2016, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kamonjj
Well they came down to 10k on the fit. So we are taking that! I'm pretty pumped about it.
With the money you saved, you could throw some money at the fit to make it a little more fun

Old 05-18-2016, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Or put it in a bond fund and if anything bad happens you have the cash to fix it..

Old 05-21-2016, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Why do you think someone is selling a Fiat with 3,000 miles on it?

Old 05-21-2016, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Or put it in a bond fund and if anything bad happens you have the cash to fix it..
Haha. Yeah or that.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:41 AM
Heard couple of Fiat dealers closed this last months or year due to decline in sales. I believe they are fun and reliable little car but you need the extra space, Fit should be a better choice.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:56 AM
5 Year Member
Fiat has not been known for reliability. Chrysler sure didn't fix that reputation!

Old 05-22-2016, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by gallent92
Heard couple of Fiat dealers closed this last months or year due to decline in sales. I believe they are fun and reliable little car but you need the extra space, Fit should be a better choice.
Yeah I read sales have been down 20% across the board from last year. Additionally 2015 sales were down 20% from the year before. No brand can survive that way.

On another note, I am loving our little fit. Works great as a dog hauler, daily beater, gas-sipper, and grocery getter.

Plus my wife started to get the hang of driving a stick today. We live in a very hilly area, other than the hills, she is doing pretty good. It will come in time.