General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Oh-So-Rare Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
The Oh-So-Rare Manual Transmission

Be warned! This is a venting session.

I'm looking specifically for a 2016 or 2017 EX with a six speed transmission, but none of the dealers within 50 miles seem to have any interest in keeping any in inventory and those I've spoken with balk at the idea of ordering one (or reserving one from the factory, whatever)! It's crazy. All they want to do is try to shoo me into one of the CVT models already on the lot. One dealer even tried to convince me that Honda straight up didn't make manual 2016 or 2017 Fits, but hey they CVT gets better gas mileage!

Dear Fit-loving internet strangers, can I borrow some patience from you?

Old 09-07-2016, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry you are having problems. Maybe you can get on Autotrader or Cars.com and filter to look for new Honda Fits with a manual Transmissions. It may be a ways off but if you want a manual you want a manual. My last car was a stick which I drove for 20 years. My 2015 Honda Fit is a stick. Look hard before you give up.

Good luck ,

James

Old 09-07-2016, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
This problem seems to play out across many brands and models and it's indeed very frustrating. I had to special order my Nissan Frontier 6-Speed.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Like you, I searched dealers within 50 miles from my area and surprisingly there were only 1 - 2 manuals available and they would all be sold when I called (of course). So... I searched 100 miles from my area to buy my 2015 Fit EX 6 speed. This was back in August 2014 when I first started searching in July.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Threads in the 3rd gen forum say there is definitely a 6MT shortage. The 2016 U.S. Fits have all come from Japan, and for whatever reason they apparently were all CVTs. But people say 2017 6MT Fits from Mexico are starting to pop up, so for buyers the long dark night might be over.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:40 AM
I had the same issue the past 2 months The local dealer 15 miles from me gave me the run around for 2 months saying they couldn't get me a manual for 2016 or 2017. One guy said they didn't make them in manuals anymore.

The day I found a 2015 manual with 30k for 15.5 at a dealer 40 miles away I went to go get it, but he said it was in another state. We got to talking and he told me he didn't care if I was in a manual or CVT he just wanted to sell me something that I wanted. After thinking about it and realizing I had a fun car and this would be the one to sit in traffic I changed my mind and bought a CVT from him bc he was willing to do the work to order me a 2017 manual.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
I totally lucked out when looking for a used 2015 Fit at our local Honda dealer. The salesguy took me around and showed me what he thought I might be interested in (wasn't looking for black or red or yellow), he said they had no used Fits with 6 spds, and, yeah, presented the "logic" that the CVT gets better mileage anyway....but it's not logical if I don't WANT an automatic, CVT especially....they just drive wierd, although it seems lotta folks get along with them well enough. As we were headed back inside, he peeks in a nice black Fit, and lo and behold, it was a 6 speed!!! Black wasn't on my radar, but....took it for a nice test drive, liked it a lot. Went back the next day, took it for a nicer test drive, loved it....ended up buying it a couple days later, with the usual Honda Certified used whatever warranty. Love love love the car, but, dang, black looks so dirty so quickly.....LOL....looks superb when clean, though. Now just have to reorient my wife to driving a stick, we've been automatic for, oh, 11 years - she's afraid of stalling it when starting from a stop (not so much the actual rowing the gears when moving). It's like riding a bike....a multi-geared bike, of course. The clutch is a lil light and the gas pedal seems light as well (throttle by wire effect, I suppose)....told her, just a few minutes practice, she'll be good to go. My son was all gung ho to learn to drive a stick until he rode in it a few times...."Why is it so jerky???" Because it's not a slushbox.....but....yeah, manuals seem as rare as rockinghorse poop anymore. Although, in all fairness, that dealer had at least 2, posssibly 3 brand new HRVs with manuals...go figure....no new manual Fits, just tat 1 used manual Fit. Was my lucky day, or I might've bought a used manual Soul

Old 09-08-2016, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal area: 6 manual 2017's:
https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...ting-677428998

Portland, 15 manuals within 150 miles:
https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...=GN_REFINEMENT

This is looking better than the 2016 model year!

Old 09-08-2016, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Manual 2016 and 2017 GK5s are out there just pretty hard to find and only made in Mexico currently.

I personally stopped waiting and picked up a '16 CR-Z 6 speed instead. >.>

Old 09-08-2016, 11:01 PM
Hi, there! I'm sorry you've had issues with the dealers in your area. I'm not too sure about the 2016s, but the 2017 LX is the only Fit that comes with a standard 6-speed. The EX and EX-L are only available with the CVT/dual-mode panel shifter on the steering wheel. Find the car you want and ask your dealership to do a dealer trade. You may have to pick up transport costs, but if it's what you really want you have that option. Good luck, and find a dealer that will work for you, not against you

Old 09-08-2016, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
EX is still the highest trim for the manuals. Meanwhile the EX-L and EX-L Navi are CVT only in the US market.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
EX is still the highest trim for the manuals. Meanwhile the EX-L and EX-L Navi are CVT only in the US market.
Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but with the 2017's only the LX will have the MT option (it's online and in the brochure). But like I said, I'm not 100% sure about the 2016's having an EX 6 speed manual. I haven't seen one

Old 09-08-2016, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Jen42081
Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but with the 2017's only the LX will have the MT option (it's online and in the brochure). But like I said, I'm not 100% sure about the 2016's having an EX 6 speed manual. I haven't seen one
Actually, I stand corrected. Looks like on Honda's website you can build an EX with a 6-speed manual. However, the brochure states differently (which was what I was going off of).. Good luck finding the perfect car

Old 09-09-2016, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jen42081
Actually, I stand corrected. Looks like on Honda's website you can build an EX with a 6-speed manual.
You always could build an EX with a 6MT on the Honda website, that has never changed. The problem was finding a 6MT in real life; in 2016 they just weren't there.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:09 AM
Unfortunately it does seem that most dealers don't order the MT. It's honestly shocking how many people don't know how to drive a manual. Again, I would say search different states to find one you like (they are out there, however rare) then either dealer trade or fly and get it yourself. Road trip! I was going to do that for an EX-L but decided to opt for an EX we had on our lot and just install the heated seats separately. Saved me about $2k.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
For USA... The brochure can be misleading as I was also misled a few months ago. But it says:

LX
• 130-hp,9 1.5-liter i-VTEC® 4-cylinder engine with
direct-injection
• 6-speed manual or continuously variable
transmission (CVT) (available)
EX
adds to or replaces LX features
• Continuously variable transmission (CVT) with
dual-mode paddle shifter (available)
• 16-inch alloy wheels
• One-touch power moonroof with tilt feature
EX-L
adds to or replaces EX features
• Standard continuously variable transmission
(CVT) with dual-mode paddle shifters
• Heated side mirrors with integrated
turn indicators
• Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
• Leather-trimmed seats
• Heated front seats
The key word above on the EX is 'available' CVT which means it is still an option to get the MT in the EX trim. But on the EX-L, the CVT becomes 'standard', meaning no MT option. Again, for the USA audience.

My post above shows several 2017 EX's with MT's either in stock or enroute with VIN's.

Last edited by tbFit; 09-09-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
pre-order it, they told me the same story about the 2009/2010 models.. and here I am today... the only person with a Honda Fit 2010 in manual!

Old 09-10-2016, 04:42 AM
5 Year Member
Join the 2010 Fit MT Club!

I guess there are only two of us...

I love driving a manual transmission car. I don't see myself ever getting an automatic!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
oh yeah, i also had to visit all of the honda dealerships in the area and none of them offered it to me and said they don't make them either... as a last resort.. we went to the city over to see 1 last honda dealership.. and it was the same honda dealership we bought my sister's honda, and FINALLY they said "no problem we can order you one but it will take a few months"

so i drove our families spare car for a few months waiting for my manual fit to arrive, and i bought it in full without even test driving it!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:27 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i donno, if u guys can't find a MT, id probably take a look at the fiesta ST. while it is smaller than the Fit, thing looks like its fun to drive. most reviews ive read stated the same. or if u want to spend a little more check out the focus ST and GTI's.

Quick Reply: The Oh-So-Rare Manual Transmission