Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   engine break in questions (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/9462-engine-break-questions.html)

Paulo107 12-02-2006 02:45 AM

well i beat mine from the beginning...i am due for my second oil change and synthetic is going in...my friend told me the car feels strong even though its a little 1.5 liter (note he works on really fast exotics) i have stressed that B4. The bottom line its a honda and it will last long...i would not feel right doing the same thing if i bought a KIA or Hyundai...even when A/C running my car does not have that sluggish pick up...the fizzle broke in just fine for me...also this thread was to talk about ONE persons way of breaking it in, so those that dont like that method keep the bashing to a minimum...its not your car its his:D...and yes someone will buy it in the future and will never know how it was treated at the beginning...what they dont know wont hurt them RIGHT????

Adrenergic1 12-02-2006 11:36 AM

has this impacted the MPG on the car?

big Fit 12-03-2006 01:42 AM

I dont want to preach to the quire but does every one know that the oil in the Fit has an additive for break in? Honda strongly encoureges that it be kept in for the suggested time regardless of all the talk and experience we have.... I dont have any thing against motercycles I ride myself. Good luck with the break in with the new tecnique

mexellent 12-06-2006 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by big Fit
I dont want to preach to the quire but does every one know that the oil in the Fit has an additive for break in?

Never heard this. What type of additive?

Oh, and Im averaging about 30mpg so far.

Rikaro 12-06-2006 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Adrenergic1
has this impacted the MPG on the car?

it will, but by very little. None the less you should get more power.

Chikubi 12-07-2006 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by mexellent
Never heard this. What type of additive?

Oh, and Im averaging about 30mpg so far.

They don't really say, but if you join Owner's Link they have a notice about it in the maintainence information saying not to change it out early.

JonasM 12-07-2006 07:37 AM

As I understand it, the Fit has similar cylinder walls to the S2000, which are fiber reinforced metal (FRM). This material, apparently, requires more Moly in the initial oil for the first couple thousand miles to properly seat the rings. They fill it with this from the factory.

There's debate even in the S2000 community about how important this really is, but I trust the Honda engineers. I'll wait until at least 5000 miles for the first oil change.

JonasM

bitterspeak 12-08-2006 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by echoRS2005
I hope you guys keep your cars until they die because I'd hate to see the poor sucker that would buy your cars.
Read the manual and it will tell you how to properly break the engine in.
Beating it up is certainly not the way Honda recommends.

Honda's recommendation are conservative because not everyone can break in the engine the other way, by running the car hard. This has been debated for years and arguments can go both ways. But there has been proof that the engine is sealed better when running the car hard, during the break in period.

F0NIX 12-27-2006 06:32 AM

Breaking in the engine

I've searched a bit on the forum but couldnt find anything about it.

How do you take care of a brand new car? Especially when you look at the engine maintance?

How do you drive the first 1000km? And after that?
Is there any diffrence in breaking in a MT vs AT ? I've ordered a CVT...

F0NIX 12-27-2006 10:35 AM

Ok, thanx for puting me in the right directions :)

And I see this is a highly debated theme.
I've not got my Jazz yet, but I think I stay with the manuals description on how to break in the engine...

etong 12-27-2006 01:44 PM

lol chances are whoever put a few miles on your new car before you already beat the crap out of it. but personally i'd rather follow what the manual says than what Joe A. says and regret it later on.

jdlopez 01-08-2007 11:06 AM

I've got 5500 miles and I'm still @ 40% on the maintanance minder. I'll change the oil as the manual states. I asked one of the sevice techs locally and he confirmed the additive is "molly". So if you have to absolutely change the oil early, be sure to add one with "molly" in it...

charwai 02-07-2007 04:15 PM

I just reached 500Km on my car and I have no problem keeping the engine lower then 3.5k rmp. I own an Odyssey too and the service department guy told me not to change the oil until the recommened 6000Km first oil change mark because of the special "break-in" oil. I follow that because that makes me feel more comfortable. I owned many cars over the past 15 years and I always follow the break-in instruction, never have a single engine break down or oil leak.

Whether to trust it or not, it's just your own decision. But if trusting it makes you feel better in the long run, then do it. The car is all yours and you can pick how you treat it. Just my 2cents.

bestfit 02-07-2007 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by JonasM (Post 107201)
As I understand it, the Fit has similar cylinder walls to the S2000, which are fiber reinforced metal (FRM). This material, apparently, requires more Moly in the initial oil for the first couple thousand miles to properly seat the rings. They fill it with this from the factory.

There's debate even in the S2000 community about how important this really is, but I trust the Honda engineers. I'll wait until at least 5000 miles for the first oil change.

JonasM

if Fit has FRM ... i might give a problem in long run. since my 91 prelude Si had FRM and after 100k.. it began to burn oil a lot...

i hope HOnda has imporved FRM technology since then (after 16 years)

For FRM cylinder engine.. chaning oil every 3K is very important ...

can someone comfirm about FRM in 07 fit??

Thanks..

DangerMoose 03-21-2007 04:37 PM

I find it hard to believe that there's something "special" about the initial oil that must be left in for 5,000 miles.

I switch to synthetic on the very first oil change, which I only change every 7500 miles or so on ANY car.

There are a lot of myths about motor oil, and especially synthetics.

In Europe, the owner's manuals for many identical cars read quite differently as to oil change schedules.

DrDiff 03-21-2007 09:57 PM

Switch to synthetic?

My father has a Civic Hybrid and was told it had Synthetic from the factory. I have had good experience with synthetics in my MINI. What is the popular opinon for converting to Synthetic? How long on "Dinosaur" oil?

DangerMoose 03-22-2007 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by DrDiff (Post 127203)
My father has a Civic Hybrid and was told it had Synthetic from the factory. I have had good experience with synthetics in my MINI. What is the popular opinon for converting to Synthetic? How long on "Dinosaur" oil?

The popular opinion is usually wrong on this topic.

You can use synthetic at any time and even switch back and forth if you like. Synthetic is better for your engine, but you can't do any damage by switching to it "too soon" or by switching back. That's a myth.
Castrol USA - Synthetic Motor Oils: Myths vs. Facts

1. MYTH: You need to allow a break-in period for new vehicles before using synthetic motor oil.
    FACT: In the past, it was recommended that conventional motor oil be used for your first oil change to allow for some controlled wear to break-in the new engine. However, with current engine technology, a break-in period is not necessary. You can use synthetics immediately.

I still am skeptical about the "initial engine oil having special Honda additives", but I'll withhold judgement until I have more information.

xorbe 03-26-2007 02:09 PM

I would never ever use dino oil in a brand new car!!

DrDiff 03-27-2007 03:37 AM

But the choice is not up to you. The choice is up to the manufacturer who builds the engine. All engine wear occurs on initial start up and every engine is started before it is installed in the car. By the time you get your car, The dammage has already been done.

xorbe 03-27-2007 02:37 PM

@DangerMoose - while I agree about switching to synthetic early is fine, quoting a synthetic manufacturer's web page is sort of weak proof... :D