General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

engine break in questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 10:31 PM
engine break in questions

Just got my fit, any idea about the break in? any suggestion about the maintenance, like oil change...?

Old 05-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Hi!

For break-in period, follow the owners manual.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:43 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
follow the owners manuel and you car will not as fast as others breaking theirs harder...see i have been the lab rat testing the cars cababilities...i came from owning a 240 which sad to say crashed it drifting at a track in Nex Mexico...i drive hard...you can drive the car with your own habits...forget the manuel i did not even look at it cause no matter what i am high revving mine and it will run in ten years from now like everyone elses...

Old 05-04-2006, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
Look further down in the list - there was a big thread on this a few days ago and a lot of conflicting good advice!

Old 05-06-2006, 04:47 AM
modern engine comes prebroken in from factory.

just drive however you want to drive it.

i redline my own car about 20 times the first day i got it, and i beat on it every single day since i got it. warming up the engine and taking care of the oil is going to make more difference then the break in.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aywwsd
modern engine comes prebroken in from factory.

just drive however you want to drive it.

Or he can just follow the recommendation from Honda.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Honda is saying 600 miles

Old 05-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Someone that Posts too much
break-in period is there for a reason, IMO it isn't just for the engine but for the making the whole car insync. I agree the engine is prebroken-in factory w/c explains why break-in had gotten "SIMPLE" over the years.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
what is your considered "break-in" period?

just wondering what the other fit owners around the world are doing with their cars..

i just recently got my taffeta white gd3 in auto sport version, and i've been driving the car like a granny ever since, i hav about 200 miles on the car, and it never seen above 4k rpm, rarely above 3k rpm

i plan to drive conservatively for 1000 miles then do an oil change using conventional oil and OEM honda oil filter, then after 2500 miles, i start using mobil 1 5w20 synthetic oil w/ a hamp oil filter

how are you guys driving your cars? after how many miles do you considered the car broken in?

Old 05-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Everything I've read and seen posted by Honda techs has said DON'T CHANGE THE OIL EARLY!!! Wait until 5k miles. Also, only break in period is the 600 miles and it really is just not too hard on the breaks and don't accelerate too fast.

It doesn't hurt the car to accelerate quickly a few times and if traffic comes to a screeching halt don't be afraid to break hard as well. :P

General consensus seems to be, just drive your car the way you normally do. Yes, engines need to be broken in but not like they used to.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Honda's is 600 miles and I did that with our standard engine break in... I'm over 1000 miles and it runs strong...

Old 05-08-2006, 02:37 PM
i would just take it easy till after the recommended miles. I know after I bought my civic I was real late to work. So I ended up doin like 90 with 5 miles on the car on the way to work. Ever since then I noticed a slight ticking coming from the valvetrain.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitDaddy
i would just take it easy till after the recommended miles. I know after I bought my civic I was real late to work. So I ended up doin like 90 with 5 miles on the car on the way to work. Ever since then I noticed a slight ticking coming from the valvetrain.
I think you're just getting paranoid. Cars are much sturdier than they were back then. The seal qualities are much better than they use to be. Don't worry your car is fine.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:30 AM
Fit break in period?

Hey! This is my first post!

So I am due to get my new Fit Sport in a few days. Here's a question for you that I'm sure the dealer will be able to answer, but I prefer real world if I can get it.

It's been 11 years since I purchased a brand spanking new car. I seem to recall something about new cars needing a break-in period where you don't go over a certain speed, or don't maintain a steady speed, or something about the car adapting to your driving style. Have new cars changed or is that period still necessary? If so, what are the limitations.

The reason I ask is because I am supposed to be driving to Oregon a couple of weeks after I get my Fit. It's about an 8 hour drive, so I want to make sure that the Fit is good and broken-in by then. Any thoughts?

Old 06-01-2006, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
The dealer told me drive the way you want but not to excess brake or gas. They said honda does not require to keep below or at certain rpms durring early miles of the car. They design the car so, they know what is best. I drove the fit home for 120 miles when I picked it up at 60 to 70 mph in 5th gear. I have not been over 4000 rpms on my own doing. Ask the dealer, read the book and trust them. They want you to be sucsessfull. Dont second guess the maker of the car.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:26 AM
It's always a good idea to gradually break in a new car. Not just the engine, but the brakes, tires, transmission, etc. The brand new moving parts will polish and get smoother in time. It's worth taking it easy for the first few hundred miles.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
I got my red Fit Sport yesterday. They told me there is no break-in required, that the engine is built to take whatever.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
I had seen a .t.v. tour of an auto plant wich they would do break in of the motor before installing it. As was said there is alot things to break in. breaks trani ...

Old 06-01-2006, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Manual says no full throttle accelerations for first 600 miles. I suggest varying the RPM and not driving longdistances at a steady speed for the break-in period. Also, avoid hard braking during that period. I will also change my oil and filter at about 3K miles and then follow the prompt on the screen for subsequent oil changes.

Quick Reply: engine break in questions