General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

engine break in questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:52 PM
When I carry a full load (3 passengers) up a steep hill, I could smell some burning oil thru the vent momentarily upon reaching the top of the incline... is this due to my FIT not being previously broken in properly? I've been driving it for almost a year?

No burning oil during normal driving though...

What do you all think what may be wrong with my FIT?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
How high was the engine revving? Is your car manual or automatic transmission. Did you check to see if oil was accumulating anywhere that it shouldn't be?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
When I carry a full load (3 passengers) up a steep hill, I could smell some burning oil thru the vent momentarily upon reaching the top of the incline... is this due to my FIT not being previously broken in properly? I've been driving it for almost a year?

Under heavy load the engine produces a lot more exhaust gases that smell anyway. The much greater amount is what you smell.
Unless the exhaust gas turns noticeably blue theres no real blowby. There's nothing wrong with your Fit.
As far as smelling oil fumes coming in thru the windshield vent, the only reason I can think of is oil or other hydrocarbon on your exhaust manifold and high temps burn that ofgf and thats what you smell.. If your rear window is open you can be sucking exhaust gases back into your car; race teams spend inordimate amounts of money to reduce the vacuum behind their vehicles because that vacuum is drag. talk to a station wagon owner who's driven with his tailgate down.

Last edited by mahout; 12-26-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Check oil level.

Here's a similar thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ng-uphill.html

Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Its the carbon burning off. Dyno days at the speed shop by me you can see the black soot and a oil smell but that's the carbon. When I first started my trucking career I would haul bags of graphite with that same smell and very slippery.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:58 AM
Owner's manual doesn't say anything about engine break in for my Honda Fit 2012. Where else can I find the information? Thanks!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Welcome to the freakworld!
There's a section titled 'Before Driving' - it all in there.

Enjoy your new Fit, whadya get?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kanishchev
Owner's manual doesn't say anything about engine break in for my Honda Fit 2012. Where else can I find the information? Thanks!

Break-in is typical for all newly built engines.
Do not lug the engine, ie too little throttle for the speed and incline
Do drive at varying speeds after the engine is warmed up; as odo miles accumulate increase the upper rpm that you shift. Not all the time but periodically.
Do not thrash the engine when its cold.
At 1500 miles you should have reached full break-in and engine can be driven when warmed up at full range of condituions including top speed runs.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:44 AM
engine break in questions

Great post. I've already shared your tips in a couple of other concerning forums . Thanks!

Old 12-25-2012, 11:20 PM
That smell you are getting is coming in from the ventilation flapper just behind the center of the rear bumper, sometimes exhaust fumes get inside the cabin from that flapper valve. It's there is when you shut the door the interior air pressure don't fluctuate too much. Aero wise the exhaust tends to curl back towards the car during highway speeds, when he car is pushed hard the exhaust fumes tends to change to sometimes a sulphur like smell or somewhat oil like smell (depends on car). If you ever cruise up a congested hill fll of cars you'll often smell egg like smells for other cars struggling up the grade.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01

There is no break in period. That was for cars in the 90's. your fine its just a lot of strain on the car it's totally normal.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kanishchev
That's because there is no break in for cars anymore.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:47 PM
is it true that a bnew car driven normally on freeways with less traffic lets say out of town trips is better than a bnew car driven within the city i mean more heavy traffic performance wise?

Old 11-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Hi I recently bought my 2013 Fit Last Wednesday and I am enjoying the car. I work at the dealership and picked out my own vehicle. Driving the car back with 3 miles on the ODO and ending at 7 Miles on the Odo i did smell a gassy scent.. I did not rev over 5k RPMs... Is that normal ?

Old 11-03-2013, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
As coatings burn off, mainly on the exhaust, you'll smell things you normally wouldn't. Part of the joy of owning a new car.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Take it easy for the first 600 miles and then 601 to 1k you can be somewhat liberal with the driving but no cruise control usage until after 1k. You want to have your RPM vary 1k to 4k and no hard accelerations.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by geonator
Hi I recently bought my 2013 Fit Last Wednesday and I am enjoying the car. I work at the dealership and picked out my own vehicle. Driving the car back with 3 miles on the ODO and ending at 7 Miles on the Odo i did smell a gassy scent.. I did not rev over 5k RPMs... Is that normal ?
Yes! normal function and normal smell as brakes get broken in and rubber hoses get broken in during hot and cold cycling. All normal.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info here Bros. I am getting near 5K and was starting to worry that the little light on the dash might never come on.

I'm thinking light or no light I will schedule the first maintenance for my baby right about 5K.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:08 AM
Well, I had same problem with my old car then I decided to buy used Japanese vehicle. I called one of my friend he told me to buy second hand car from Japan Car Imports in London,UK. I bought Honda Jazz from there then.

Cheers
Katherine Wright

Old 03-05-2015, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paulo107
follow the owners manuel and you car will not as fast as others breaking theirs harder...see i have been the lab rat testing the cars cababilities...i came from owning a 240 which sad to say crashed it drifting at a track in Nex Mexico...i drive hard...you can drive the car with your own habits...forget the manuel i did not even look at it cause no matter what i am high revving mine and it will run in ten years from now like everyone elses...
as an engine builder and user the manual is correct for street driving. raceengines we break in hard because we don't have the time to gradually break-in engines except for gradually increasing max rpm in 500 rpm incements every 5 minutes til reaching max rpm.
we don't care about ring damage because the enginewon't exceed 1500 miles before rebuilding. the harder you break in an engine the shorter the life of rings and bearings; and if you don't vary the rpm consistently the walls will get tiny ridges that are mainly the cause of ring damage. the naked eye doesn't see them but high powered magnification and the rings see them.
the 100k engine is by the manual.

Quick Reply: engine break in questions