General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Opps

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:53 AM
Old 07-26-2017, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
Having worked in the collision repair industry and having also worked for a major US auto manufacturer in the body shop where the Body in White is produced have taught me not to keep a car that's been in an accident.

IMO The way or the sequence the body is produced can't be replicated in a collision repair. Sure the car might cosmetically look the same, but structurally it won't be. From my experience or at least the auto manufacturer I worked for; every 30 cars had weld inspections done. If a weld failed then a containment was setup for a clean and dirty point. Engineering would have to provide a fix whether additional spot welds or mig weld where the missing spot weld would have been. If engineering didn't have a suitable repair to keep the structural integrity of the body, then we'd scrap the body and crush it. Another thing most people aren't aware of is there's Federal Safety welds. Basically, anywhere that seat belt or child safety seat attaches have additional layers weld of inspection. There was also sign off that the inspection took place by the person who did the inspection and by the supervisor that they had verified the the inspector inspected the welds before signing off. Obviously, it was taken very seriously. The point I'm trying to get at is I don't believe anyone wants to see anyone get hurt as a result of the repair they completed? I don't believe that even if it's a dealership body repair shop and the tech is certified that they have the same knowledge, equipment or resources available to them?