General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

When will the maintenance minder light ever go on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
When will the maintenance minder light ever go on?

I've owned my Fit since 2-8-10 with 35971 miles on it originally. It now has a little over 50,000 miles on it and I'm surprised the maintenance minder light hasn't lit up yet. I sure would like to know when it's time for maintenance since the owners manual doesn't advise you when to perform it. I do the basics such as oil and radiator fluid though. Changing the air filter was easy too.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:01 PM
Something is wrong

The MM light should come on at 15% oil life. Have you been resetting the oil life each oil change?

Old 07-29-2017, 07:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
scroll through the screen using the little stick coming out the cluster. see what the oil life says. might be in negative numbers.. lol anyway you drove 14k miles on over 6yrs old motor oil so best you change the oil.

if you dont reset the maintenance reminder thingie, i had it go into negative numbers.. well my oil change was overdue if i was using dino oil which i wasnt.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
scroll through the screen using the little stick coming out the cluster. see what the oil life says. might be in negative numbers.. lol anyway you drove 14k miles on over 6yrs old motor oil so best you change the oil.

if you dont reset the maintenance reminder thingie, i had it go into negative numbers.. well my oil change was overdue if i was using dino oil which i wasnt.
I've changed the oil plenty of times, I'm religious about that. I don't have to worry about resetting the maintenance minder light, since it never came on and I wonder if it ever will?

Old 07-29-2017, 09:54 PM
You should still reset it

The Maintenance Minder is for general maintenance, not just oil changes. That's why it's important that it get reset every time the Oil Life reminder gets to the level where the light comes on, AFTER service.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:05 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jensen Healy
I've changed the oil plenty of times, I'm religious about that. I don't have to worry about resetting the maintenance minder light, since it never came on and I wonder if it ever will?
sounds good.

yah, not sure wat's going on with your MM.. but one less thing to worry about resetting after the work.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Fitness
The Maintenance Minder is for general maintenance, not just oil changes. That's why it's important that it get reset every time the Oil Life reminder gets to the level where the light comes on, AFTER service.
How can I if it never turns on? I found the instructions but it's all for naught;

First, turn the ignition switch to the “on” position, this should be position II.
Press and hold the select/reset knob until the oil life indicator appears. This will say “oil life” and have a percentage. Resetting this light will change the percentage that appears to 100%.
Press the knob again and hold for more than 10 seconds. This oil life indicator as well as a maintenance item code will start to blink.
Press the select reset knob one more time and hold for 5 seconds. The maintenance code will disappear from the screen and the oil life will now say 100%.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
I get that you do your own maintenance. Oil Changes.
And I get that the maintenance minder light has never gone on.

But when you scroll through, you should still be able to find oil life indication screen, and it should read "something". It should say oil life and either some number positive, zero or negative.

If you can't even get to the screen then something is definitely wrong with your whole system.
The maintenance minder should be automatic, BUT your oil life indication screen should always exist, and it should be re-settable, and once reset read Oil Life at 100% and start to count down.

So I'd attempt to reset it, then watch it and see if it's counting down.
And if you can't get to it- or reset it, then yes, something is definitely wrong with your entire system.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:39 PM
If the MM is broken, there's nothing wrong with going by mileage/time intervals just like we did in the Stone Age. Heck, my 2016 Outback doesn't even have a MM, and it's so advanced it practically drives itself. You may end up changing the oil more often than the Honda engineers/programmers think is necessary, but that can't be all bad. BTW, I'm old enough to remember the Jensen Healey. :^)

Old 08-02-2017, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug
If the MM is broken, there's nothing wrong with going by mileage/time intervals just like we did in the Stone Age.
I don't think anyone is arguing that.
And evidently that is what the OP has been doing.
But the question posed by the thread headline is "When Will The Maintenance Minder Light Ever Go On?"

I'd definitely want to try to reset the Oil Life Indicator, if only to see if that also get's the maintenance minder to activate. It should come on, when the oil life get's low enough.

Even if ultimately the OP chooses to ignore it. I'd still want to know.