General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Guess How I Learned My Fit Model Doesn't Have A Spare...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
Guess How I Learned My Fit Model Doesn't Have A Spare...

Yep. Yeeeeeeeeeep.

I know it's our fault for not checking that it had a spare, we saw a jack and assumed the tire was just... in a different spot or something. I know this shows my ignorance but I didn't even know you could buy cars that didn't have a spare tire!

Tire popped last night on a lonely country highway and we spent 2.5 hours waiting for a tow truck and then smooshed four people into a 3 person cab, where I was sure the door was going to give out and I was going to fall out and die.

I'm now trying to source a tire,185/55 r16. Oh boy are they pricey! I've ordered one to replace my busted tire but I'll be ordering a new size in my winter tires, have read a bit on the forums about it and may go with a 15 inch instead and buy new rims.

So... anyone know what kind of dummy spare works with the Fit? I could just try to source a p185/55 r16 full size spare I guess but that's gonna take up a lot of room in the back.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
What year doesn't have a spare? I have a 2015 GK and it includes a donut. A lot of manufacturers are foregoing a spare to save on cost and weight and instead supplying an inflation kit with plug. I'd prefer a spare personally.

On the GK I don't think the rear will accommodate a full size spare while keeping the trunk floor flat. Not sure about previous generations as this is my first fit

Old 09-27-2017, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
What year doesn't have a spare? I have a 2015 GK and it includes a donut. A lot of manufacturers are foregoing a spare to save on cost and weight and instead supplying an inflation kit with plug. I'd prefer a spare personally.

On the GK I don't think the rear will accommodate a full size spare while keeping the trunk floor flat. Not sure about previous generations as this is my first fit
2013 Sport model.

Fun fact! Honda removed the spare in Canada to save on weight so it would qualify for a fuel savings program.

Not sure if it can fit a spare tire, gonna check on my lunch break. Hopefully we can just pop a spare in there and not have to worry about this happening again ><

Old 09-27-2017, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
When I bought my Fit, I kept the spare tire of my 99 Civic. It was really small and would not fit in the front (only in the back). Never had to use it. Then, this spring, my mom traded in her 04 Civic. Before she did, I asked for her spare tire so I could check it on the Fit. It was a perfect fit, so I kept her spare and put my old one in her car before she left the car at the dealership.

So, in short, you can look for a spare from another Fit, or from a 01-05 Civic.

EDIT: By the way, I have a 2014 Fit sport (Canada), same as the US 2013 Fit...

Old 09-27-2017, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry about the bad luck/experience.

I'd shop around some, but they seem to be on eBay...
2009-2013 HONDA FIT 15" COMPACT SPARE TIRE WHEEL DONUT T135/80D15 OEM USED

09 10 11 Honda Fit Mini Compact Spare Tire Wheel Rim Donut 15x4 T125/70D15 | eBay

I believe you can put a full size wheel/tire in the same spot, but your floor will be raised up and un-level. I'd probably stick with an OEM temp spare.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wow that really sucks.

my 17' GolfR has no spare either.. so i have a tire plug kit and some other stuff to do spot repairs if i reallly have to..

Old 09-27-2017, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
I really think NOT having a true spare is the wave of the future.
But on the other hand? I find it hard to believe the weight savings has that much impact at all on fuel economy.
Not having to provide a real spare...probably has more impact on bottom line production costs.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Most cars that don't come with a spare have a "kit" available from the factory to add it back in. My Dad has done that with his past two vehicles. He started buying them after he got a puncture in his sidewall and sat on the side of the road for 2 hours after finding out that the inflation kit is useless when there's an actual hole in the tire. Anything outside of a small nail and you're stuck.

Guess it really depends on where you drive, but I would never be without a spare tire.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Guess it really depends on where you drive, but I would never be without a spare tire.
Me either!...out here in northern New Mexico, some of the roads are so bad, you'd think you'd need something with a half track to get over them. It's all about cheaping out wherever they can....

Old 09-27-2017, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I really think NOT having a true spare is the wave of the future.
But on the other hand? I find it hard to believe the weight savings has that much impact at all on fuel economy.
Not having to provide a real spare...probably has more impact on bottom line production costs.
ur absolutely right. there is no fuel savings removing a 25lbs donut when you consider the weight of average fat people. and it does cost the manuf A LOT less not having the spare in the truck.

honestly, it is a very stupid idea.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member
Repair kit is junk.
First, there is an expiration date, so you have to replace it now and then.

Second, the repair kit will just be good for a small puncture on the thread of the tire. If you have more tire damage, the kit is useless.

For me, spare tire is the way to not get stuck on the road when you have a tire problem.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
I checked mine and happily had one

Old 09-29-2017, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Tire-Rack sells the mini tires adn steel wheels for spares.. The are out of stock sometimes...

Pick-n pulls are a source too.. But often the rubber is old..

Old 09-29-2017, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
(One of) the first thing(s) I checked when shopping for mine...hate the "space saver" spare tires, but prefer it immensely to fix-a-flat and a pump....

Old 09-29-2017, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Where I live, there's lots of places that have no cell service, and, even if you did, good luck getting a tow truck to come out in the middle of the night.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
My son's 2015 has a donut spare tire. I'm glad that it does. Truth be told those temp spares will only get you about 250 miles down the road before they are toast. Although it beats the heck out of waiting on a tow.

Those mobility kits with sealant are better than nothing & if the flat is repairable you'll be on your way. I carry one in each car even though my cars have spares.

I wonder if there is enough room to stow a full sized spare in a GK fit?

Old 09-30-2017, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
GK's trunk is too shallow to fit a full size under the trunk floor.

tire sealants.. my R came with a kit with the sealant and air compressor but i dont plan on using it unless sidewall damage and emergency.. u ruin the tire if it's just a puncture in the tread or leak in the valve stem which are both repairable.

i will use the air compressor and the aftermarket plug kit though. the plug kit im talking about is the actual worm you stick into the puncture to repair the tire. ive done plenty of plugs and none have failed.

something like this..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Del...&wl13=&veh=sem

VW didnt even give me a scissors jack on the R... so bought one and have a breaker bar with deep socket in the emergency kit i put together.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:59 PM
that's pretty dumb... save weight, but a slight chance you might end up stranded in the middle of nowhere.... Were they trying to comply with some government standards of some sort?

Old 06-22-2018, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stevenX
that's pretty dumb... save weight, but a slight chance you might end up stranded in the middle of nowhere.... Were they trying to comply with some government standards of some sort?
I'd say it's the opposite. US government mandates that they have to include either a spare or an inflation kit. Without that mandate maybe they wouldn't give you either.

Not sure if Canada requires the inflation kit, but they apparently don't require a spare.

I'm not much for government rules to private corporations, but I'd say that cars should probably be required to have a spare tire. The inflation kit is not a good substitute and is a major problem for tire dealers. The stuff just about destroys the tire and rarely seals.

It comes down to consumer awareness though. If the consumers don't demand a spare tire, the OEM's will leave them out. Tesla owners don't seem to complain.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I'd say it's the opposite. US government mandates that they have to include either a spare or an inflation kit. Without that mandate maybe they wouldn't give you either.

Not sure if Canada requires the inflation kit, but they apparently don't require a spare.

I'm not much for government rules to private corporations, but I'd say that cars should probably be required to have a spare tire. The inflation kit is not a good substitute and is a major problem for tire dealers. The stuff just about destroys the tire and rarely seals.

It comes down to consumer awareness though. If the consumers don't demand a spare tire, the OEM's will leave them out. Tesla owners don't seem to complain.
I agree, an inflation kit just doesn't cut it for me... I've had sidewall damage on tires a couple of times and an inflation kit would be useless in that scenario.

Do Tesla's come with run-flats? Or is there just no room for a spare since that batteries take up all the space?

Quick Reply: Guess How I Learned My Fit Model Doesn't Have A Spare...