Should I?... Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Should I?... Part 2

More wishful thinking

Seeings how the Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler group is the only company matching US prices I started checking out their lineup. They recently slashed about 10,000$ CAD off the price of this little gem.

Well a couple of quick specs;
420hp, 420ft/lbs of torque
0-60 in less than 5 seconds (wet or dry)
11MPG in the city (21.4L/100) , 14MPG on the highway (16.8L/100)

lol, whatever. My other car is a Fit

I will be the first to admit this is a totally unnecessary vehicle. But here is my best stab at justification; Summer car, capable of handling a couple of rough dirt roads when I go camping and towing my toys, good for road trips, lots of utility space, goes really fast I used to be a Jeep owner back in the day, so it also gets some loyalty points.

Now... if only they had stuck the exhaust somewhere OTHER than where the tow hitch it supposed to go.....

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-18-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
lol, oh yeah... here are my runner ups!

BMW 135i (Would be right on top, except BMW insists on screwing Canadians over with the price)

Porsche Cayenne (This car has my heart, price again is to blame!)

Trailing behind at the end of my list.... Subaru WRX STI (Like the fat chick at a bar, it's the last resort)

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-18-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Retired Moderator
How much is the final cost? There is a guy with a silver one on the other side of my area with HID's aimed wayyyy too high...I think he traded in his SRT-4 for the Jeep SRT-8. I know you like to do a lot of camping and this would fit the bill despite having horrid fuel economy. If the price is right, it could be a pretty fun ride. I know I had fun driving the Chevy Trailblazer SS around. If it is getting into a higher price bracket, maybe just a basic Jeep would be good, I keep seeing those Jeep commercials with decent MPG numbers

However...135i FTW!!! The Fit can be your camper...135i!!! And please don't buy a Cayenne lol...did you look at the Mitsubishi Evo? The GSR's have arrived...but I'm partial to Scoobies...so definitely go STi!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah I hate jerks that aim their lights too high!

Love the 135i, but pisses me off the price is 26% higher than the US

I love the Jeep too, would be a sweet ride! As far as gas goes it would be a summertime vehicle (I don't think I could afford 20" winter snow tires) so I could swallow the gas bill pretty easy. I would still use my trusty Fit for getting groceries and general running around. The Jeep would be reserved for road trips, camping, towing and cruising around... maybe a few drag race runs at the track for fun

Here is a screenshot of the price page... basically with tax and all that other Jazz it is like 43K, last summer it was closer to 55K.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-18-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:22 PM
My buddy had the Limited edition Cherokee and I've always loved it, but I'm still a Hondaboi so the CR-V is still in my line of sights for the new daily driver. But that thing looks quick, We did see one run at the track last year and it flew!

Old 02-18-2008, 04:30 PM
I love Honda cars...but when it comes to SUVs and trucks...ill definetly go for a Toyota over a Honda. I really like the V6 Rav4. 269HP and 246ft.lbs of torque! I also love Tacomas/4Runners.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I went down today to have a look at one, but they were all out of stock . The guy said he would give me a call once they get some in.

Never been a huge fan of the Rav4 or any of the Honda SUV's... although I have always liked the 4Runner and the Toyota trucks.

Not to dis Honda too much but thier SUV's seem kind of soft to me. Probably just my Jeep roots talking, I used to bury my XJ in mud puddles up to the windows and it still pulled through no problem.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-18-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Exactly what I think of Honda trucks and SUVs...they just dont seem like trucks. My dad has an '06 4Runner...he lets me drive it on occasion. haha. Its a solid truck that is really capable offroad. It's pretty quick too for an SUV...even with the 6 cylinder.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah back when I used to go more often I never saw a single Pilot or CR-V on the off road trails Lot's of Toyota's though, they usually did really well too. My favorite vehicle I have seen out there has to be this one....

And this is the guy who tried to follow that giant monster van.... with his stock Dodge Durango.... tisk tisk. poor guy was stuck there for over an hour while trail rigs tried to pull him out. I am not sure... but I think they bent the frame on the truck doing it.

lol, not something I will be attempting with an SRT8 though!

I wonder if that SRT8 drinks premium gas I also can't find if it has the cylinder deactivation system in it from the web site.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-18-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Retired Moderator
I believe they have that cylinder deactivation thing on it. For trucks, I definitely prefer the new GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado. I dunno, I just hate Toyota a lot haha...

Old 02-18-2008, 05:09 PM
It's a good thing Honda never designed them to do that then.... and nor would I use it for that reason. But for storage and great mileage I cant really go wrong with the CR-V.
4cyl's for the win!

and yes that SRT-8 does take premium. but damn does it use it well

Old 02-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Hrrmmm, this article says that it doesnt have the cylinder deactivation (However it is a couple of years old..but still has the up to date specs.)

Grand Cherokee SRT8 takes a different path - Autonet.ca

I would bet that it requires premium. I have a '97 Prelude with only 195 HP and it has a sticker on the gas lid that says "Premium unleaded only." I found that out after I bought the car. lol. 420 for HP and Torque sounds pretty fun!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Retired Moderator
How about a G37?!?!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:21 PM
saw that thing run a 13.7 at 100 mph at racecity last year. That is very impressive for such a big SUV.

Aside from its straightline speed nothing else makes sense on it though :P

My dad had the last gen grand cherokee and the ecu took a crap on the highway when it had 10900kms on it so I'm not a huge fan of them anymore

Old 02-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
In addition to straightline speed is supposed to have a nice suspension setup, it was able to pull 0.88g on the skid pad. Plus it has a pretty unreal braking system and creature comforts galore!

To compare a few cars;

Chevy Trailblazer SS 0.81g
Honda Civic LX 0.81g
Mazdaspeed 3 0.87g
(Irony) Mugen Honda Civic SI 0.88g
>>>Insert Jeep SRT8 here<<<<
G37 Coupe 0.89g
Honda Civic SI Coupe 0.91g (Higher than the Mugen Civic!)
WRX STI 0.93g

I have heard some bad things about the new style Grand Cherokees lately. Lots of problems around the brakes and computer glitches. Luckily the SRT8 should have a totally different braking system and ECU setup... hopefully none of those problems translate over.

Originally Posted by Illusive
How about a G37?!?!
Really nice car, no argument there. But, if I am going to spend the extra money for a sports car it will be on the BMW

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-18-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prelude_guy97
Hrrmmm, this article says that it doesnt have the cylinder deactivation (However it is a couple of years old..but still has the up to date specs.)

Grand Cherokee SRT8 takes a different path - Autonet.ca

I would bet that it requires premium. I have a '97 Prelude with only 195 HP and it has a sticker on the gas lid that says "Premium unleaded only." I found that out after I bought the car. lol. 420 for HP and Torque sounds pretty fun!
Yeah confirmed.... eats Premium fuel and no cylinder deactivation. Yikes!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Retired Moderator
Well the Mugen Civic is actually the sedan and not the coupe. I still say G37!!!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
Well the Mugen Civic is actually the sedan and not the coupe. I still say G37!!!
I guess that makes sense, silly Mugen

I don't know the G37 suffers from the Canadian overpricing scandal too... the MT6 is $50,000 here and $35,800 in the States. I could almost buy another Fit with the difference in price.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Retired Moderator
mmm werd...well you can get it shipped up from the states! My co-worker just did this and used a broker...cost $6000 to get it up here after all was said and done...

I'm checking out some cars with a buddy for him, and you know what, the Impreza WRX STi is really really nice...I really like that front end with everything blacked out on the World Rally Blue!!

Old 02-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
You will be lucky if you can get one in, I have heard the Fed's have introduced some new requirement where a anti-theft module for new models has to be installed in order to be allowed in Canada... sounds like they are getting into bed with the manufactures because they refuse to install them on US vehicles. I have heard the import list has been reduced by almost 50% of the legal cars for 2008.

Quick Reply: Should I?... Part 2