Calgary Racing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Wow that is a great price!
I'm pricing out ski touring equipment though (and I've got three extra wheels and tyres from June). Plus I got some nice letters from the tax collectors asking for money...excuses, excuses.
I'll buy the front strut bar and stiffer rear springs off you and as mentioned before JDM visor w/mirror (if you have it), and zeta dead pedal.
Shoot me a PM.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I forgot about the dead pedal... but man I love that thing!

I don't have a JDM visor w/ mirror!? I have Mugen window visors... but those would be a serious pain to take off and I doubt they would ever install nicely again. They look good so I will leave them on when I sell the car.

Started looking at a CRV to replace it today, so bland... but it is what I need

Old 09-08-2010, 10:33 PM
No more racing with the Fit Nick? How did you guys do this season with them, were you both competitive?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by Mr_ET
No more racing with the Fit Nick? How did you guys do this season with them, were you both competitive?
It's much more fun running with someone who has the same car.
Results for SASC events here (lost venue->only 3 events): SASC Forum -> 2010 Event Results

Midpack, but we were getting some "I hate getting beat by a Fit" 's (S2K, RX8's etc).

For CSCC events (neither of us are members), it's probably easiest to skim through the prelim results. You can go through the official ones, but they just move non-members to the end cause our placings don't affect the championship.
http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/ind...oard,30.0.html

ie We both ran Event #9 July 24 at Deerfoot Mall - midpack, pax's (cheating?) better results.

SASC just lined up another venue in Ft MacLeod and like SP, I'm not sure I'm going to run them. I'm definately going to do the two remaining events at Deerfoot Mall.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Quite a few spectators out at Deerfoot Mall yesterday ~100. I think I placed somewhere midpack, but with timing getting slightly messed up Murray's got some more work to do to add the morning and afternoon results together.

Course was good with one slow portion to punish impatient drivers, and a decreasing radius corner that seemed to be challenging for some drivers. Seemed to be a fair number of transitions, so it may have favoured better handling versus the higher torque cars.

There was apparently over 70 competitors.
Next event is Sunday Sept 19 Deerfoot Mall in the back by the Walmart 10-3pm.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Oh these events sneaked up on me, 70 competitors! wow, that is a lot!

Not sure I can make the one on the 19th, I have a huge Fit deconstruction planned for this weekend. I am going to see how far I can get removing things.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 PM
They have white stuff in the forecast - sure feels like summer's over
Calgary, Alberta - 7 Day Forecast - Environment Canada

17 in PAX and 25 raw last w/e.

Also Marc informed me that if I'd bought a CSCC membership I'd be leading the rookie competition (sigh). Stuart, Marc, and I were discussing just picking one more event (Stuart would have to win both I think since I have 2-100's, but he has been consistently beating me the past month or so) Sounds like the new Ft MacLeod dates are going up today/tomorrow.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything. Tentatively planning scrambling on Sat and the last CSCC event I'm doing on Sunday.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah Reijo is on me to go to the Ft MacLeod events.

They hired him at my company a little while ago, he originally brought on another job which was slow... one of our engineers quit last week and they moved him onto my job to replace him. Now he works on my design team full time!

Crazy stuff... I didn't even know Reijo was an engineer for the first year or so I knew him.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:18 PM
What about co-driving something?
I'd let you with mine if you're interested.
Note: I haven't actually registered yet.

CA

Old 09-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
My plan for this weekend is to get the car stripped down to stock as much as possible... I might run as HS for the event on the 25th.

Not sure what is legal for HS, I will still have front springs, SS brake lines, the short shifter and the 24mm sway bar. Those things are not worth trying to take out. The rims are 9mm out from OEM offset, which is nearly legal too. It is just a local event, I think I could put it in HS and nobody would really care too much.

In any case it really comes down to how much I can get accomplished. I have a lot of stuff to remove!

I am very weary about driving other peoples cars... even when I do take an opportunity to try somebodies car out I take it pretty easy. Definitively appreciate the offer, but I would feel really bad if I ended up wrecking anything.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-18-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
Hey nick,
how come your stripping your fit down? Are you getting ready to sell it or something?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah, this is the end of the line for the ol' girl

It has been a nightmare in the winter to drive; it gets stuck in our suburban neighborhood because of the city's policy on not plowing those areas, and even with the best snow/ice tires I could find it just doesn't have enough weight to get traction when starting or stopping.

Not that I am a nervous driver, I usually don't mind being out of control sideways down a busy street... but my wife is another story.

Anyway, basically there are a number of reasons I am selling. First is the winter issue, the second is my wife needs a car she can drive (cough cough, automatic ), the third is I have started a company and it would greatly reduce my costs to lease a vehicle through it and write off all the related costs.

Oh man, that WeaponR header.... my god it is a bitch to get in or out. I literally had to loosen off 2 and drop the other 2 bolts out of the sub frame to get it out... even then it took me like 3 hours of wiggling and twisting. I kind of feel like I graduated to the next level of handyman mechanic though once it came out... lol.

Everything else is going smoothly though, the Greddy E-manage is out, sway bars, manifold, intake, exhaust & B-pipe... tons of stuff.

It will take me another day or so at least to wrap everything up. I still haven't done the rear suspension yet.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Arrggg... I knew that new crush gasket was not going to work. Stupid thing is leaking like crazy.

Well it starts, runs... no CEL yet so that is always a bonus. The major stuff is all done now, but still some things I have to take care of.

List of stuff I still have to do:
-Fix the crush gasket @ the header
-Get tap & Dye for one of the subframe bolts that stripped on me
-clean up vacuum and blowback connections with bands instead of zip ties
-install the muffler
-remove and replace the front brake pads with OEM pads (the X3E ones squeak like mad)
-Remove the rear shocks and replace with OEM
-Replace the Tanabe springs in the rear with OEM springs
-Remove the hitch and reinstall OEM lift point

I figure I still have another evening or two to get this done... wow, that is a lot of stuff!!!

I was thinking about taking out the front Tanabe springs... but I keep having flashbacks of the CV popping out again... shudder. I am sure whomever buys the car won't notice anyway.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-19-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Wow sounds like fun, and alot of work. If i wasn't going to be unemployed soon, I would see if you'd like to sell the hitch and the tanabe springs. Damn temp job.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Thats sucks your fit is getting around in the snow. Near my home in spokane, they don't plow the roads either. But I have knarly tires with deep lugs and siping, it makes all the difference. But I know significant others seem to like suvs more in snow. But for me, my car gets around great, despite the past winters with over 100 inches of snow in a season. Last time I was home, I was driving thru a foot of snow, and there was over 3 feet on the ground. I got to post pictures soon.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matt4.2
Wow sounds like fun, and alot of work. If i wasn't going to be unemployed soon, I would see if you'd like to sell the hitch and the tanabe springs. Damn temp job.
I actually just gave away a set of Tanabe springs to one of our local members like two weeks ago!

I am only taking out the rear springs for my car... I don't want to get into removing the front springs again, they only lower the front a bit and I don't think anybody buying the car would notice anyway.

If you want them, just pay for the shipping cost & they are yours. I would probably be looking for maybe like 40$ for the hitch if you change your mind and want it as well. I am literally going to fire sale most of my stuff.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Sept 19 Deerfoot Event
I finished 7th raw times in the three morning runs - lots of DNF's
10 pax and 17 raw all on prelim results
I'm sick from standing out in the 5 deg celsius temps, wind, and rain (not dressed properly) plus I postponed my lunch until ~4pm.

Was a fun day - the cars with OEM all seasons were doing better than those of us on R comps or high performance tyres.

I've pushed a little bit of snow infront of my car driving on the Smith Dorrien once LOL. Started to worry about the radiator getting enough air through it, but made it to the trail head at Chester Lake before clearing it out as best I could.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Hey SP are you doing the event Sunday in H stock?

CA

Old 09-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Video of course today at Ft MacLeod by competitor in another car make:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVLfyGh3Meo

Good venue. The course was really fast and had some parts you had to be patient. Most of it was 3rd gear; the engine redline sounds quite different in second than in 1st. I hit the rev limiter a fair bit in the morning.
Frustrated with myself that I wasn't looking ahead enough until the afternoon with the higher speeds (4 seconds off in the fun runs). You couldn't look at the next section, it had to be two sections up. Brushed one of the lights on the side of the runway (should wax out except for the mudflap) in one spin out - got pretty lucky

Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 PM
2010 Season Results

The first season of autocross;
Some great people like SP, close competitions, great courses and volunteers. Fun entry level (ie affordable and safe) motorsports.

SASC
Overall: 7 (of 12 of those who did >= 4 events) of 68
Rookie: 1 (of 3 of those who did >= 4 events) of 20
http://sascsolo.ca/forums/index.php?showforum=42

CSCC (Note only if I'd actually had a membership -> non-members results listed after members')
Street Touring Category: 5 of 58
Street Touring Class: 1 of 20
Overall: 12 of (18 with >= 8 events) of 194
Overall Raw: 17 of (18 with >= 8 events) of 193
AutoSlalom Results

Quick Reply: Calgary Racing Thread