Important Post - Improper Brake Distribution 2009 GE8

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Important Post - Improper Brake Distribution 2009 GE8

Just wanted to make sure that the local GE8 FitFreaks are aware of a possible dangerous situation under sudden and hard braking.

Please read: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post656993

I have come across several reports that car's tail will twitch or even lift off the pavement under sudden and heavy braking. Be aware least you loose control of your vehicle!

Be aware and drive carefully. Hope this post will prevent unwanted accidents.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
It seems that GE8s with 4-wheel disc brakes do not experience this braking issue.

Asean countries and well as Europe have their FiTs equipped with 4-wheel disc brakes and yet, North America being the biggest auto market in the world (North America) have their FiTs equipped with rear drum brakes.

Now what in heaven's name are the people in Honda Canada & USA thinking when they spec'd our FiTs; their own bottom line?

I would have gladly paid $500 more to have our FiT equipped with 4-wheel disc brakes!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
One of the post reads.....

"THAT IS SO INTENSE! I had that happen with my 8th gen civic. I was turning left and went over a bump (little fast, but never had problems before on this bump) then the back popped up and flung right self and landed. I say it was at least a 45 degree air turn."

Old 05-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
dang that sounds pretty dangerous

Old 05-20-2009, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
dang that sounds pretty dangerous
It certainly is especially when it happens suddenly and the inexperienced driver panics!
I believe this will become a big issue once a couple of serious accidents happens.
Personally, I am looking into doing a JDM rear disc brake conversion.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
Here is how I look at this case:

1. Whenever a vehicle is under acceleration, most of the weight shifts to the rear end of your car. Then the front end lifts up, which may cause wheel spin on a FWD vehicle.

2. On the other hand, when you're braking, weight shifts to the front end of your car & the rear end lifts up. Front tires & suspension have to support most of the weight of the car & the rear tires will have way less traction compare with the front.

Now the wheel hop(acceleration) or nose dive issue(deceleration) will be very obvious on vehicle equipped with softer suspension. Check out this video here & u can see how this FD RX7's like under hard braking:

YouTube - RX7 Spirit R @ Wakefield - May 2007

So when it gets to a point that the front tires reach their limit, tires lock up obviously if u don't have ABS or ABS kicks in. The thread opener did not mention about ABS, what kinda tires/suspension mods he's using & if he was going downhill or not I think? With the soft stock suspension & mini van stock seat that we get in the GD3 & GE8, I would feel the rear end lifted up a lot under that situation too.

I would think the pull under hard braking was normal also. That depends if the alignment on his Fit is off by a little & also the road condition. It also depends if he was holding the steering wheel at 9 & 3 o'clock position coz I see TONS of people hold their steering wheel at the 12 o'clock position which u can get into serious trouble easily when shxx happends. Coz u simply don't have the full control of your steering wheel with just one hand at the 12 o' clock position.

And for the comment on the rear disc conversion, rear disc doesn't really help minimizing the nose dive problem. Disc brakes cool down faster than drum brakes however, u can never compare the contact area of a rear brake pad & a set of brake shoes. For a stock powered Fit, rear drums work just fine if all u do is daily driving. U can adjust the rear brake shoes if u want the rear drums to be a little more sensitive.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
when i brake hard i get understeer even when im going in a straightline

why is that spoonek4?

Old 05-22-2009, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
What do u mean you get understeer when u're going in a straight line?

Understeer happens when u're trying to turn but not in a straight line.

Saw u tonight btw....

Old 05-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spoonek4
What do u mean you get understeer when u're going in a straight line?

Understeer happens when u're trying to turn but not in a straight line.
good question, i'm wondering the same thing.