Aftermarket power locks on DX-A model?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Unhappy Aftermarket power locks on DX-A model?

Hi guys,

I'm looking at an '09 Fit. I was looking at the LX trim but they're basically sold out in BC except for black. I have a couple choices - either DX-A model or Sport. The only sport feature I really care about is the power locks and it would cost me $2600 more...

I heard it isn't too hard to install power locks afterwards. Does anyone have any experience? Know where I should go? I'm not getting a lot of info when I search since the US cars all have power locks in all models.

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2009, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by craig_g
Hi guys,

I'm looking at an '09 Fit. I was looking at the LX trim but they're basically sold out in BC except for black. I have a couple choices - either DX-A model or Sport. The only sport feature I really care about is the power locks and it would cost me $2600 more...

I heard it isn't too hard to install power locks afterwards. Does anyone have any experience? Know where I should go? I'm not getting a lot of info when I search since the US cars all have power locks in all models.

Thanks!
Compustar 1way remote?
Might as well get an aftermarket alarm, wont set you back 2600.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:47 AM
^The alarm doesn't come with the motors to run the locks. That's what a DX-A needs.

I picked up my DX-A on Friday. I couldn't justify $900 for the LX when the only feature I wanted was the power locks. I'm sure there's an aftermarket solution, or will be. Surely others are in this position.

Ok. I did some digging:
Edit: I did more research on this than anything I wrote at UBC. No Joke.

Getting the Parts:

Online Catalog - Power Door Locks, Alarms & Keyless Entry systems

Sells power lock kits, in either rod or cable actuation versions.

What Type Is Our GE('09) Fit?

This is the GD(?-'08), is ours different? I haven't had the panel off yet.

Name:  0412091405a.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  51.8 KB
Credit: mike410, during his sound-deadening project.

The rod thingy from the handle-area lock switch running to the lock cylinder/door latch indicates that it is Rod system. If the GE has a tension cable running between the two areas, it is a Cable system.

Pricing

If the Rod system is retained, you could have a system (5 doors) for $99.90 US ($106.76CAD by google's estimation), plus undetermined shipping costs, and probably getting raped by duty, so probably another $40+ (wild guess). You would also need the wiring for the hatch, as that would not be included.

-the price changes to $133.48CAD if cable system

Looks pretty good so far.

Installation

Had a look at some of these:
Power window and lock installations articles

Mounting the Hardware

This may be interesting. looking at that GD door, i think it's totally do-able. If the GE is similar, and if the actuator location I'm thinking of is clear of the window path, then no problem.

You have to mount the actuator such it moves in-line with the rod. It also needs to be at its center of movement at the same time as the lock mechanism (I guess that's where the most force is required?). On the GD door, it looks like it could be mounted inside the hole that the rod traverses. Centering and Aligning could be extremely frustrating,as you would need to drill and tap to mount it, and you wouldn't do that until your darn sure of the location. You'd have to build a temporary mount (duct-tape, popsicle sticks), and connect a 12-volt power supply to ensure you had it right. If it were a Cable system, there would be even more 'fun'.

No idea about the hatch lock. Probably about the same.

The other thing that needs mounting is the door lock module. There's oodles of space inside the dash, but I haven't had mine apart (yet) so I can't comment on where would be best.

Wiring

The next trick is running wires between all actuators and the module itself. After a week of lurking the fit ICE forums, it seems running speaker wire isn't hard, and it has roughly the same places to go. The hatch may be the most 'fun'.

EDIT-I looked at my hatch: You'd either have to fish it from the bottom panel (where the actuator goes) to the top, (where the wiring goes into the headliner) OR run it on the outside to get it to the top of the glass. So either a serious PITA, or an ugly install. Too bad.

Professional Install

Having this installed will not be cheap. If I had to guess: $400 CAD minimum.

It won't make it an LX

To clarify, there will be no "Lock" or "unlock" buttons in your car. Every door with a lock cylinder (the above pricing includes the hatch in this), acts as a master lock and unlock switch. So every time you use your key to lock/unlock or you flip one of the front door lock switches, all locks in the car would follow suit.

My Thoughts

I may try this one myself, after adding some dynamat to the doors, of course (thanks mike410, and all the other deadeners in fit ICE). I've researched it enough now that I want to write a how-to!

Even if I was to get it installed, say 600 bucks all up, I still win with my DX-A over an LX by 300. Go me!

More digging:
There are less expensive options out there for the hardware:

Such as:
REMOTE CONTROL POWER DOOR LOCK SYSTEM - JCWhitney

or:
A little cheaper, same stuff though

It looks pretty cheap by comparison, installation time/cost is high enough to splurge IMHO. It would suck for one to break and leave your car unlocked.

One last thought: I've been writing this post for two hours, over dinner. I think it's rather thorough. It is also MY FIRST POST ON FIT FREAK!!! Rep that. Seriously.

Last edited by bikethis; 09-21-2009 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Organization, headings, a couple updates, language fixes. Basically made it ready to hand in as a master's thesis... time to get a life.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:43 AM
Ok, I pulled the driver's door panel.

Bad news on two fronts. It's a cable system, not a rod system. The upshot of that is:
1) the parts are more expensive
2) the housing has to be cut away so the actuator can push/pull it. The housing on either side of the bare cable will be mounted into a special bracket(included in the kit) to allow for its manipulation by the actuator.

The other bad news is the actuator location. The GE door is quite different. The two openings you see on the GD door are essentially one larger opening on the GE. the opening is the only place for the actuator to go, so something will need to be built to mount it there.

I don't know if i'd have the patience for this.

On the plus side: the door panel is really easy to get on and off. I can't wait to throw some dynamat on the door, and a real speaker in it!

Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 PM
In looking at window tint, I came accross this:
N-Motion Auto | Services for you and your vehicle's security, comfort and convenience

They'll install each actuator for $80, so $400 including the hatch. They sell the cheap variety of actuator though, so if going this route, it's probably worth it to get the good stuff and let them install it.

Last edited by bikethis; 09-21-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: the url tags didn't work
Old 08-19-2010, 01:28 AM
so what did you end up doing?
did it your self or went to a mechanic?
I have a DX-A too and I want to install power lock as well...

Old 11-11-2010, 07:21 PM
so what did you end up doing? I took my car today to a shop with just basic actuators and the installer said he was not able to do it, any thoughts? I have yet to pull the door panel off myself and take a look but if my buddy can't do it then I doubt I'll be able to.

ps. its a 2009 DX-A

Old 04-17-2011, 10:39 AM
after market powerlocks

any updates-- I really want power locks and am trying to figure out the best method of getting them. Thanks in advance.