Looking to buy a Fit.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Looking to buy a Fit.....

Hello all,

I've read a lot of reviews. I've been lurking here off/on for a bit as well. And we've just spent more $$ *again* on our older vehicles ($$ we were hoping we wouldn't have to spend!). Bottom line--sometime in the next 6-8 months, we want a newer, reliable car that will be good on gas and have space for us, 2 kids (both under 3) and 'stuff'. Which means, I think, that we want a Fit.

Our budget is fairly tight, so I don't think we can look at brand new (unfortunately), but at the same time I want to get best value for our purchase. From what I've read, it would be nice to find a used 2009, given some of the improvements over the '07s and '08s. We'd be looking for an automatic (a lot of used Fits seem to be manual trans.). I'm thinking the spring might be a good time to buy (more '09s on the market, after we get our tax refund..). We live in Chilliwack, but would be willing to go a fair distance for a good deal.

So, I'm hoping from the wealth of knowledge here, I can glean some tips regarding where to buy, what to look for....pretty much any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
welcome to FitFreak! You made the right decision thinking about getting a Honda Fit. Great on gas, fit lots of things, very versitile and great to drive.

I'm not quite sure what to look out for when buying second hand. But the most obv is any prev. accidents, type of driving/commuting. See if you can ask for the receipts of where the car was taken for maintenance, whether it was at Honda Factory for other local carshops.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, i'm sure other people here will have better knowledge than me!

Old 12-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by chickz_magnet
welcome to FitFreak! You made the right decision thinking about getting a Honda Fit. Great on gas, fit lots of things, very versitile and great to drive.

I'm not quite sure what to look out for when buying second hand. But the most obv is any prev. accidents, type of driving/commuting. See if you can ask for the receipts of where the car was taken for maintenance, whether it was at Honda Factory for other local carshops.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, i'm sure other people here will have better knowledge than me!
Thanks for the reply! If you were shopping for a used Fit, would you try to find one privately, or through a dealer? If I need to go through a dealer, or if we are in a situation where we're looking at something new, what are the best dealers in the lower mainland?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Just saw this online....

2009 HONDA FIT CLEAROUT

Things like this drive me crazy--whether to jump on what seems like a good deal, or wait for a better one? Yeah, I know I said we weren't really looking at new, but given it's a choice between new and 'almost new' (and 'almost new' isn't all that cheap) I wonder if the savings are worth it?

Anyways, thanks for letting me ramble....

Old 12-02-2009, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
I have always liked to get used cars through the dealer. In theory someone who hopefully can be trusted has inpected the car. Also, if there is still a warranty on the car the dealer who sells it to you might help you out. The trick right now is to find a dealer that isn't getting top dollar for used cars. In my area I've seen dealers with Fits with 20k on them selling for $1000 under the price of a new version. This leads me to lean on the idea of investigating private sellers and using things like carfax to get you some history on the car or at least some idea if any major damage has happened to the car. I don't know if this helps. Good Luck!

Old 12-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Yesterday it was Honda in Maple Ridge, today Chilliwack....

Another ad today:
Wow! New 2009 Honda Fit's Now Under

Now, I've never bought a new vehicle, but I know there's extra costs (taxes, etc) above what you'd pay for a used one privately.

Say you're spending $15k--PST would be $1050, GST would be $750--what would the others be? Freight (I guess it varies by dealership?) And how much to budget for accessories? From the Honda website, it looks like the new Fits don't even come with a spare tire, floor mats, etc--looks like you could spend a lot just on "basics".

[According to CarCostCanada, freight is $1395--I'm thinking a membership for this site may be worth it.....]

Last edited by Anthony8; 12-03-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Ok, now another one...

Another place clearing their last '09:
2009 HONDA FIT DX

I had been hoping to wait till tax refund comes next spring, but it's looking like this might be the last chance for a deal on a '09..... hard to know what to do!

Old 12-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by runbikerun
I have always liked to get used cars through the dealer. In theory someone who hopefully can be trusted has inpected the car. Also, if there is still a warranty on the car the dealer who sells it to you might help you out. The trick right now is to find a dealer that isn't getting top dollar for used cars. In my area I've seen dealers with Fits with 20k on them selling for $1000 under the price of a new version. This leads me to lean on the idea of investigating private sellers and using things like carfax to get you some history on the car or at least some idea if any major damage has happened to the car. I don't know if this helps. Good Luck!
Thanks for the thoughts--I've looked on Craigslist, Kijiji, Autotrader, and haven't found many good private deals either, which is making me lean towards investing in a new one....

Old 12-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Hope you find your car - this is a great place to get information on the Fit.

Cat :x

Old 12-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Cat
Hope you find your car - this is a great place to get information on the Fit.

Cat :x

Thanks--it seems like a few dealers are having year end-deals--does anyone know if the situation was similiar last year? If so, how long before the new 2008s were gone?

Old 12-05-2009, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
This may be interesting. I am actually parting out my Honda Fit so that I can sell it hopefully by next year. Its a 2007 model but it has all the JDM works...not entirely sure if its something you are looking for. Let me know if you are interested in getting a great car.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
I heard that JDM conversion depreciates the car's value? Not sure if there is validity to that.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spooling
I heard that JDM conversion depreciates the car's value? Not sure if there is validity to that.
Value is very abstract, what you are willing to pay for may not be what others want to pay for, in terms of $. Some people will spend thousands of dollars for a LV Wallet (I rather keep the thousand dollars in my $20 wallet).

Anyway, just throw out the question =)

Old 12-06-2009, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Anthony8
Thanks--it seems like a few dealers are having year end-deals--does anyone know if the situation was similiar last year? If so, how long before the new 2008s were gone?

I can tell you last year Fit sell was stronger then 09 due to the market and this year $2000 off from Honda on a $16K unit .
Is like buying a year older Fit, too bad no more Auto in lower mainland dealership. Option is look into a lease on a 2010 or 09 5speed if that works. Richmond Honda now leasing our 09 or 2010 models at low 4.4 % lease rate. Next two weeks the Auto 2010 will be here, so place your order soon then later. Let me know If I can help . Examples 0 Down , 48 months lease 09 Lx trim 5 speed comes to $300 tax in pymt.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Hi Rick, what's new for 2010 Honda FiT???
Is factory NAV now an available option? Any changes in body style/options/colors?

TIA.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Benggolf
Hi Rick, what's new for 2010 Honda FiT???
Is factory NAV now an available option? Any changes in body style/options/colors?

TIA.
No changes, except no more purple colour. I 'll let u know when I get one for you to drive S/B in 12 days.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rick@honda
No changes, except no more purple colour. I 'll let u know when I get one for you to drive S/B in 12 days.
OK Rick. Talk to you soon.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Guinness
Value is very abstract, what you are willing to pay for may not be what others want to pay for, in terms of $. Some people will spend thousands of dollars for a LV Wallet (I rather keep the thousand dollars in my $20 wallet).

Anyway, just throw out the question =)

aaron i want your seats front and rears
and maybe your spoiler

Old 12-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by rick@honda
I can tell you last year Fit sell was stronger then 09 due to the market and this year $2000 off from Honda on a $16K unit .
Is like buying a year older Fit, too bad no more Auto in lower mainland dealership. Option is look into a lease on a 2010 or 09 5speed if that works. Richmond Honda now leasing our 09 or 2010 models at low 4.4 % lease rate. Next two weeks the Auto 2010 will be here, so place your order soon then later. Let me know If I can help . Examples 0 Down , 48 months lease 09 Lx trim 5 speed comes to $300 tax in pymt.
Thanks for the info Rick.

From what I've heard from other dealerships, is that there are some autos out there, but dealerships aren't transferring them to other dealerships--LXs and Sports are particularly hard to find. Chilliwack has a couple auto DX-As, but we're looking for keyless entry (which would cost about $600 to add). We were led to believe that the Chilliwack dealership could get us an LX, and we had put down a deposit, but after almost a week they couldn't--and this is after leading us to initially believe that we'd be paying $1800 less than what was the final price. We had talked ourselves into spending more for a new car, but I think we'll just keep an eye out for a private deal (and hopefully save a little $$ in the process), and pray that our current vehicles keep going in the meantime.

Last edited by Anthony8; 12-10-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:42 AM
too bad, i m in Toronto, selling 08 White LX, AT, keyless entry, 47K km. Purchased in July last year.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a Fit.....