B1 maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
B1 maintenance

The B1 maintenance minder just popped up on my car today.

I know I could take it to honda and probably get charged $200 for the service or take it to another place and get the same thing done for much cheaper. In terms of warranty I think as long as we keep the invoices of what has been done then our warranty is good to go.

Now the question I have is which places do you guys take your cars to for servicing (besides honda) ?

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
My brother is a licensed tech & he does all the major services on my Fit(limited slip differential install, clutch replacement, fluid changes/flushes etc)........

As long as u keep the invoices ANNNNNNND your car does show that it's really been well serviced then u should be ok. U can't just show the invoices & showing brakes & tires & fluids are all in bad condition and expect them to cover you under the warranty(dirty, unevenly worn etc).

Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spoonek4
My brother is a licensed tech & he does all the major services on my Fit(limited slip differential install, clutch replacement, fluid changes/flushes etc)........

As long as u keep the invoices ANNNNNNND your car does show that it's really been well serviced then u should be ok. U can't just show the invoices & showing brakes & tires & fluids are all in bad condition and expect them to cover you under the warranty(dirty, unevenly worn etc).
So instead of taking the car to the dealership you just take it to him?

I need to get the B1 service done cause my car is at 15% oil level now.

I think the B1 service involves:

B1=
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Inspect front and rear brakes
Check parking brake adjustment
Rotate Tires
Inspect these items:
-Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
-Suspension components
-Driveshaft boots
-Brake hoses and line (including ABS)
-All fluid levels and condition of fluids
-Exhaust system
-Fuel lines and connections

Since your brother is a licensed tech - does he do work for your friends? I'd rather go that route instead of paying the dealership $180-$200 that they're asking to essentially change oil, replace filter and rotate tires.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
Please check PM, tks!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Ended up getting my B1 maintenance done through spoonek4's brother.

Great service and extremely knowledgeable. Will be bringing my car there for future work. I highly recommend him to the rest of you FF guys

Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kevvur
Ended up getting my B1 maintenance done through spoonek4's brother.

Great service and extremely knowledgeable. Will be bringing my car there for future work. I highly recommend him to the rest of you FF guys
Thanks for all the kind words!

Old 05-11-2010, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spoonek4
Thanks for all the kind words!
i still want ur bro to change brakes for me but the brakes last so long on these cars......50000km...still 3/4 way to go..

Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
All that stuff is simple DIY. Why not save even more money and do it yourself?

Old 05-12-2010, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Olyar15
All that stuff is simple DIY. Why not save even more money and do it yourself?
I did get into on of this similar discussion with a customer at work awhile ago on the benefit of doing a tire rotation & brake adjustment service w/lubrication.

I know that he's an accountant himself, which, very likely have more income than quite some average people out there. I said as simple as a tire rotation, a licensed tech can have that done with tire tread measured, tire pressure adjusted, hand torqued in about 20minutes since they have proper tools. When average people do the same thing at home, that may take double the time IF they do have a floor jack & some hand tools like cordless impact wrench & torque wrench. 40min means a lot of $ to professional like him. A $20+tax tire rotation can save him quite some time and all the dirty work.

A licensed tech is just like him, an accountant who's all trained & equipped to handle different type of jobs in their field. You let them do the work coz u know they will have that DONE RIGHT within a promised time frame. Plus you know you can believe in their work that your wheels won't fall off, tires will be in the proper direction or some brake caliper part went missing causing all sorts of noise.

And of course, some people don't even have that room to DIY.....

Old 05-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Hey all, first post on this forum however I have been lurking since buying my fit back in January.

My "B 1" maintenance just came up in my car, its a 2008 fit sport 5spd and has around 30400 km. I have talked to all the dealerships around Vancouver and now understand that it doesn't matter where I take my car, so long as the service is done right and receipts are provided.

So that being said, who do you recommend ? Spoonek4 is your brother looking for any more customers? I would rather go this route than pay up the a$$ at the dealership.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
Please check PM, thanks!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Hi, I've taken my car into the dealership twice now for B1 maintenance. The first time, I suspected they didn't rotate my tires or topped any fluids up. I asked them the 2nd time about it and they said it was probably because my tires were new and were ok. Shouldn't they have done it anyways since I paid for it? The most recent time, my oil was just at 10%...I read the booklet that came with my car and it said you could almost wait until 0% to take the car in. Kevvur, I paid $252 including taxes for the last B1 service. I thought that was quite expensive for basically an oil change as they basically just "inspect" everything else.

Last edited by Sera; 05-26-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
jackiee! can you pm me your brothers number also!.. i would like to service my car thru him !

Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
Gary: Please check PM, thanks!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 AM
interested in getting some work done also, but don't want to go to dealerships, PMed

Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by codei
interested in getting some work done also, but don't want to go to dealerships, PMed
Please check PM, thanks!

Old 06-05-2010, 01:54 PM
I signed up to this forum because of seeing this post, seemed too good to be true almost but now very glad I did. Had my B1 done with Spoonek4's brother. As Kevvur said, highly recommend if you want a friendly, knowledgeable mechanic to work on your car and to see it first-hand in the garage! Two weeks after now and at 32,000km car is running better than when I bought it with 17000.

I'd like to see Honda allow that at the dealership, hah! They would rather you sit and drink bad coffee and read magazines in blissful ignorance of whats going on in the shop.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the kind words man!

They don't want u inside the shop mostly because the insurance will not cover u if u're injured inside the shop plus of course some people don't like other people(ie.boss haha) watching them while they work.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
I use the maintenance minder thing as a guide only because mine is way too harsh. Every 6,000 km (~3,700 miles) on the nose, the oil reaches 0% and it tells me to get more maintenance. I really wish it actually measured if I need the service or not but it's obviously been programmed like that.

At 12,000 km, the thing started blinking and telling me to get a B1 service. I'm now at 13,200km and still haven't gotten the B1. All I really care about is the oil change and the tire rotation. All the other 'inspection' nonsense is really just some kid at the dealership giving things a quick glance. Oh, and they top up the windshield fluid too like it's some huge deal. So, could I just get an oil change at Mr. Lube or wherever (like I do for the A service) and rotate the tires? Would that be acceptable?

Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by superslurpee
I use the maintenance minder thing as a guide only because mine is way too harsh. Every 6,000 km (~3,700 miles) on the nose, the oil reaches 0% and it tells me to get more maintenance. I really wish it actually measured if I need the service or not but it's obviously been programmed like that.

At 12,000 km, the thing started blinking and telling me to get a B1 service. I'm now at 13,200km and still haven't gotten the B1. All I really care about is the oil change and the tire rotation. All the other 'inspection' nonsense is really just some kid at the dealership giving things a quick glance. Oh, and they top up the windshield fluid too like it's some huge deal. So, could I just get an oil change at Mr. Lube or wherever (like I do for the A service) and rotate the tires? Would that be acceptable?
What year is your car and how many services have u done so far?

Quick Reply: B1 maintenance