UH Football 2008

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
UH Football 2008

How big a difference one year can make. Rebuidling takes on a new meaning in light of the last few games starting with the Sugar Bowl from last year. More like rebuilding after a totally devastating hurricane has passed through.

I watched yesterday's game and while it looked pretty good at the start until the first UH score, it wasn't so pretty for the remainder of the game.

Simply put, with injuries to key positions and not enough experienced depth to replace them, UH could not compete on the field.

I though OSU did a decent job of pressuring the UH quarterbacks and forcing turnovers but some of them were bad reads or poor throws into coverage.

With two injured running backs there was little choice but to throw and it wasn't hard to defend under those circumstances.

So with an upcoming bye week to heal, hopefully UH can regroup and reshuffle.

I'm also following June Jones at SMU and they have a similar 1-2 start and big loss to Texas Tech this weekend. But Texas Tech is a far better team than OSU.

Any predictions for UH this season???? I don't think they will win half their games. I think they will loose on the road. Hopefully they can win a few at home and do some recruiting for next year.

Fresno State looked pretty good vs (10) Wisconsin (my pick for the Rose Bowl but they will have to beat Ohio State and Penn State to get there).

Old 09-27-2008, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Well, after practicing winning vs Hawaii last week Oregon State invited #1 USC for a bit of fun and beat them 27-20 on thursday.

I guess OSU was the best 1-2 team in the nation this week if it can win vs #1 (nearly unanimous in the various polls too).

Tonight Hawaii faces San Jose State at home and has rested two weeks now.
No telling what will happen but isn't that the best part of college football?

It's unpredictable at best. Depends which team shows up to play and make the fewest mistakes.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MINI-Fit
Fresno State looked pretty good vs (10) Wisconsin (my pick for the Rose Bowl but they will have to beat Ohio State and Penn State to get there).
(25) Fresno State held off hard charging UCLA 36-31. Barely.

(9) Wisconsin could not hold off Michigan and lost 27-25.

(4) Florida loss to Missisippi 31-30 at the swamp.

(3) Georgia loss at home to (8) Alabama 41-30

Other top 25 losses
(16) Wake Forest to Navy
(20) Clemson to Maryland
(22) Illinois to (12) Penn State
(23) East Carolina to Houston
(24) TCU to (2) Oklahoma

Gee, that was quite a few losses this week for top 25 teams.

Hawaii lost (6 turnovers again which makes an NCAA leading 17 for the season) 20-17 to San Jose State. Hawaii missed a long field goal in the 4th to go ahead. Probably should have punted to pin SJS back deep. I think Graunke was still injured, he didn't throw well.

Last edited by MINI-Fit; 09-28-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Well I guess nobody is a UH football fan because nothing was mentioned of last week's miracle win against a top 25 ranked team on the road.

Road wins are hard earned.
Victorys vs top 25 teams are rare
Victorys after a miserable home loss are ... priceless.

Nobody gave Hawaii a chance to compete with Fresno State on the Road (their stadium is one of the very least friendly).

This week UH plays at Aloha Stadium for homecoming vs Louisiana Tech.

Funaki will get a chance to expand his experience which up to last game was limited. He is emerging as team leader- which is much needed.

UH defense stepped up and special teams were much improved.

This season each WAC team will have at least one loss so this game will be a big one for UH to get itself back on track and improving.