Honda Fit Dealer Reviews Here is your chance to vent bad experiences with your local dealer or praise them for exceptional service! Please include the Dealer name, City, State and Country in the Title of your post. Help fellow FitFreaks find good dealers and avoid bad ones.

Metro Honda Montclair, CA

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:32 AM
Smile Metro Honda Montclair, CA

The last few weeks I had been seriously playing with the idea of buying a new car, working with my budget thinking of sacrifices I could make and the like. Also looking into the trade in value of my current car, which was a 1999 Acura Integra LS. Considering the trade in value verses the value of selling it privately, but being a bit too eager to get into a new car I ended up going with the dealer which was the fastest. My previous car was in great condition I even washed it and changed the oil before I went to the dealer (it was over due anyway).

I had my heart set on a new Honda Fit Sport, which were and are still are hard to come by at any dealership due to their economic value in respect to their great gas mileage bing a micro compact. I did however go through the manufacturers website to request a quote from my local deal so that it would make sure that the dealer would have no chance to add any markup locking in the suggested MSRP of about $15,219.00 that price reflecting the Fit Sport with a manual transmission. I also got my credit pre-approved through Honda so there would be no disappointment/embarrassment of not having the financial means to qualify to buy the car in the first place.

I decided to head over to Metro Honda in Montclair around 4pm Friday. Once I parked at in front of the dealer the salesmen had spotted me like hungry animals and where watching my every movement as I got closer to the main doors. Needless to say I didn't make it inside before I was stopped by one of the many sales men posted like guards around the dealer. I half expected him to ask me for ID before he extended his hand and asked, "Do you need any help today." With out missing a beat I told him I wanted to see about getting a new car and told him which one. He then proceeded to walk me to the unpaved storage lot where he showed me the 2 Fit Sport Models they had in stalk which consisted of 2 Vivid Blue Pearl Automatics. I had originally had my heart set on Nighthawk Black Pearl with a manual transmission, so that plan went to hell almost immediately.

To cut through most of the red tape I filled out a but load of paperwork and got down to business with the trade in and price negotiation. The used car sales manager took my car for a spin around the block and came back with an offer of $2,700 (kbb at the time being 3,400) I refused immediately and responded with a 3k counter offer, which they accepted. They then brought the price of the car and the projected payments. 16,700 for the car which was right on target for an auto sport. I noticed a few other fees consisting of solar guard for $595.00 and a Custom Armrest for $395.00. The solar guard was reffering to the tinted windows which where factory installed, I got the dealer to drop the charge. I also refused the custom armrest which consisted of a 3rd party after market part that retailed for $99.99. At that time my projected payments where $380.00. Now here is where they get you, the extended warranty which runs for like 3k which bumped my payments up to $495.00 I almost walked when he told me that, they explain it like it comes with the car which is BS and then they hit you with the cost. I did refuse that for the simple fact that I couldn't afford the payments if I sold my kidney. The Honda fit did however come with a Lojack already installed which they then tried to hit me with a $995 one time installation fee (even though it was already installed) and continued to tell me that they would remove it otherwise. I unknowingly got him to drop the price to $795 because of my hesitation. I also got them to give me the floor mats and the cargo mat for free which ran for about 230 bucks or so. My APR was sky high being a first time buyer with no credit (13.74) and my payments consisted of $406.89, But for 34MPG its a small price to pay over the outrages gas prices.

The Bad:
Tried to charge me for some bogus stuff...
Solar Guard (tint) $595.00 Tint is standard on the fit got it waived
Custom Armrest (cheap after market armrest retail price 99.95 installs in any cup holder) $395.00 Refused to pay for it got it waived

The Good:
Free floor mats
Free Cargo mat
$200 off lojack
$300 more on trade-in then originally offered (could have worked for more)

Metro is cool, a little sneaky but easy to see through them. The don't make much on the fit so its easy to understand why they try to be underhanded. I'm happy with what I got.

Last edited by Robywolf; 06-13-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:41 PM
nice wright up about metro......(fit sport, auto nighthawk black peral no options) but i beg to differ. the salesman spoke way to fast not covering any of the cars features or options (that they added) like the solar guard, thats a tint the dealer put on and not from the factory (factory is UV protected window glass not tint) as for my experence there, the salesman was new so i could understand the fast nervous talking, the sales manager is a complete a-hole. i fought with him about the armrest for 40 mins, i told him i found the exact same thing on ebay for 30 bucks(opened a can of worms)...im not paying 495 for the armrest (its leather BTW) so it dosent match, then the solar guard what a load of crap....600 bucks for window tint on 5 windows?? i got my t-top mr2 7 windows different %'s for 250......so i informed of that as well. after we got done with the armrest argument i told him i wont buy the car if i have to buy the arm rest. 10 mins later he comes back pissed off and said that he will cover the cost of it. then onto the tint. they didnt budge a bit. the lo-jack i wanted but they were asking to much for the car 17900 +tax and fees. so thats a no go, i told the salesman i was not going to buy the car, then he ran to the back and got the same manager that i fought with. he came storming out and started confronting me about not buying the car and making a scene so i figured to do the same. after i gave it back to him he offered me a 500 doller gift card....i then told him no its to little to late. so all in all they try to steal your money by adding the options THEY want not what you request!!! stay away from them.......(then i told him i worked at a vw dealer so i knew about the excessive mark-ups/options, i wish i had a camera for the look on his face)

Old 06-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Everything Metro said or did = BS

I put a deposit for a AT Fit Sport @MSRP in writing........

When the car came in.....the salesman wanted extra $$$ for the tint, lojack, and $1,995 Mark-up......

I ripped my deposit check out of the initial agreement paper and drove off.......

The negotiation ended when the BS started......I was in and out less than 5 minutes......

Last edited by NaTuReB0Y; 06-13-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:30 AM
lol, I know all about dealer drama. I have formal training in auto sales
(was going to work for Norco Mazda but they where dick and hired the 18 year old high school kid who played football over the other more qualified and competent sales men. The manager and owner of Norco Mazda are both high school drop outs by the way lol)
Didn't know about the UV protected glass, they where looking to kill with that it only cost me 75 to have the rest of the windows professionally done with the same "solar guard" tint. When it comes to dealers you just can't take their shit, or they will walk all over you and suck every penny out of you.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 PM
yep the same about me with the uv protection i thought it was a paint protection....untill metro explained it for me. but yes they will walk all over you for everything your worth so just be wary and call your credit union and ask about that options are a ok or not...

Old 01-04-2009, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Hmm...maybe I can get myself some mats. Planning on getting a few Fit from them