Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Is the Jazz a ricer car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Is the Jazz a ricer car?

Just a rant for the day:

Is the Jazz a ricer car?

In my opinion, no. But it seems like a whole lot of people just love to blow their cash on ricey goods for this car.

I had all intentions of leaving the thing stock, and having zero love for it at all. But after a track day (Wakefield), I was surprised at how capable the Jazz's chassis is (and that was when the car was dead stock too). I thought that if the chassis and handing was so great stock, then how awesome would it be if I modified the car for even better handling. That's the path I've taken and the car really is fun and really does handle like it's on rails now.

What interests me I suppose is how under-rated the little car is. Many people won't look at it as anything but a shopping trolley. You saw the way Top Gear tested it, letting their mothers drive it. I wonder if they even bothered to test it themselves in terms of performance?

OK, so it's not a performance car, we all know that. But it doesn't make a bad one. The EG Civic for example is now a famous shopping trolley turned tuner car. The Jazz is very much becoming this overseas, but not so much in Australia.

So why do you guys think that many Jazz owners out there will not spend their cash on quality parts to improve the handling dynamics of this car, or the performance? Is it mainly because it's a cheap car, thus people put cheap mods on it?

I am with the thought that all that money spent on cheap useless stuff could be saved and put into better quality performance parts, but that's just me I suppose?

I notice that when it comes to the Jazz/Fit, in Thailand and Indonesia it's all about rice, but in Japan and the USA it's all about performance. In Australia? I'd have to say I don't know yet...

Thoughts welcome.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
But it seems like a whole lot of people just love to blow their cash on ricey goods for this car.
Thats all personal opinion. Define ricey goods. Body kits and what not?

Im modding my car in stages that fit me. All Im missing is a header and maybe a pulley and Im done for engine mods. Mainly because thats about it. Tune? Depending on header primary size... Once enough engine work Ill go to suspension.

I just installed my rear swaybar. Difference is very noticeable. With that being said Im going to put my 15in wheels back on because my 14's are giving me too much understeer (60 series all seasons. BLAH!)
All I have is the Progress bar and my T1R coils. I need more bars!

I like a little appearance here and there. The Fit has GOBS of aftermarket support. Ugly and nice. Its all everyones preference.

As for the Fit being referred to as a trolley/cart. I know all about it. My Fit at work is AKA: My Target Shopping Cart.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Rice Rice Baby...

In my opinion, as long as you keep it simple... clean...

Philippe

Old 07-13-2007, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
In my opinion the fit can be Ricey, it depends one what you do to it.

Throwing on crappy bumpers with spray paint, a outragous exhaust and what not will make it ricey

but planning all your mods and making them flow together, with high quality parts and fine tuning your car is not.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by justinfox
Just a rant for the day:

I notice that when it comes to the Jazz/Fit, in Thailand and Indonesia it's all about rice, but in Japan and the USA it's all about performance. In Australia? I'd have to say I don't know yet...

Thoughts welcome.
haha, very few people bother improving the performance of the fit in japan, there are a lot of riced up fits there.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:55 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
People can judge my Fit as ricey.
Dumb bright colored wheels. Some people also label rice as non name brand or cheap wheels. *shrugs*

I just go for whats me. Ill admit I do a lot of dumb stuff. Later on I'll notice it and think "WTHell was I thinking?!"

Old 07-13-2007, 11:57 PM
In all honesty, who cares? Not to be rude, but if you're not driving someone else's car, what do you care what they do to it? Does it ruin the imagine of the car for you? I've some "ricey" mods on a Ferrari that I'm sure most Ferrari owners would turn their snobbish nose up at. Nothing is sacred. What might suck to someone is probably really cool to somebody else. *shrug*

Old 07-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Speaking of Ferrari's. The main colors of Ferrari's are red, the symbol is yellow.
Another color combo of yellow and red, like my Fit. WOOOOOwOOOO!!!

And back on topic

Old 07-14-2007, 12:04 AM
^^^ Hotness....

Old 07-14-2007, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by blackgd3
haha, very few people bother improving the performance of the fit in japan, there are a lot of riced up fits there.
I love rice.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
People can judge my Fit as ricey.
Dumb bright colored wheels. Some people also label rice as non name brand or cheap wheels. *shrugs*

I just go for whats me. Ill admit I do a lot of dumb stuff. Later on I'll notice it and think "WTHell was I thinking?!"
Totally agree, what you do to your car is I think an expression of your own personality. You chose the parts, you chose the colour, etc. Everyone is different and everyone has their own opinion. Some might like it, some might think differently, but that's because everyone has different tastes...

I'm in the same boat as Mx6GT89 and am going to conclude my engine mods after I get a new set of headers and a pulley. To me, it is not meant to eat up WRX's in a straight line, but to handle well and look good while doing it. Strategically planning what you want to do to your Fit/Jazz is what will separate you from the rest.

My definition of rice is a little different. If you have bodykits and what not, good for you, that's your choice. As long as you paint it to match and make an effort and put the money into making it look good, it's not rice. It may be a little outrageous, but that's what that person likes. On the other hand, primered bodykits that are unpainted, those awful metal spoilers that are a foot off the trunk and cut off mufflers replaced with gigantic grapefruit shooters that you can stick your head into, I think are rice, but that is my own opinion...

Old 07-14-2007, 01:11 AM
Banned
To each his own, but I'll bet that NO ONE in the fitfreak membership has his/her Fit/Jazz completely covered with stickers, or glued-on astro-turf, or plastic snow-globes or any of the other ridiculous/insane personal decorative obsessions. Chris's mirror-boobs excepted.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:15 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Bah, any car can be riced. I define it as a bunch of cheap tacky mods, but hey people are just out having fun doing what makes them happy. The only mod I actually outright speak out against is that whole WhistleTip thing, that is seriously retarded!
YouTube - Whistle Tip Mufflers

Man the other day I saw somebody burst out laughing at my Fit, lol I was watching from inside and I couldn't help but smirk. My car must look totally ridiculous to some people, but whatever I like it and it makes me happy.

haha, my favorite riced car is this one, saw it over at Bryan's Rice-Boy Page

Old 07-14-2007, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by Jazz it up!
I love rice.
Coz you're pinoy

Old 07-14-2007, 01:22 AM
Retired Moderator
LOL some people are total haters...davevm described it best at our last meet...a lot of domestics point and laugh and don't give us imports a chance. But like Sugarphreak said, it doesn't matter, to each his own. I've seen worse in Calgary...I think I saw two cars today, one Tiburon and one 240SX with their primered bodykits installed...that I had to smirk at

Old 07-14-2007, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
I think some of you guys are missing the OP's point though. He's not really complaining about rice, per se, but more asking why Fit owners are maybe so quick to buy a lot cheap mods instead of saving up and buying the good stuff.

Me, I tend to agree with him. I also agree that anybody can do whatever they like to their car that makes them happy, but I still just don't get the mindset that rationalizes how a $200 mediocre, ill-fitting, poor performing, crappy-looking exhaust is somehow a better deal then saving up a bit more and getting, say, a real Spoon N1 for $380 (AJR special as an example). I do realize that everyone has their own budgets, me included, but is it really so much better to have a bunch of cheapo mods? Or is it maybe better to have just a few really choice ones that have a lot more impact -- both on performance and 'credibility' (maybe not the best word choice, but I think you get the idea)? I've been thinking about this a lot lately myself for whatever reason.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:04 AM
Retired Moderator
Ahhh I know what you are trying to say now...thanks for clearing that up Chikubi. I totally agree with you, not everyone's budget is the same, so sometimes we all can't afford the bigger ticket items like J's, Spoon or Mugen.

I prefer to save up for the better stuff, they tend to fit better and perform very well! My Cat-Back exhaust probably cost me close to $800 as I bought the B-Pipe and Axle Back separately, but I am very happy with my decision! Saving up for premium mods I think is preferable to dumping your hard earned dough on cheapy mods. You'll be more satisfied in the end and will be much happier I think. Another good example is the Mugen pedals...lots of people think they are overpriced, but IMO, they are one of the best things you can buy, perfect fitment, look and feel great! It is a real cross road for everyone, so it really depends on what path you choose to take. Sugarphreak is right though, any car can be riced out, it just depends on how much time and effort you take into planning your mods...

Old 07-14-2007, 02:30 AM
I agree with chicubi on the budget issue,however just because a product's price is lower does'nt mean it's inferior compare to a product that has a higher price,say for example a DEKA battery vs a BRAILLE battery,you think BRAILLE battery is better than DEKA battery because it's a $ 179 battery and DEKA is only $ 69 battery? i'm seeing most of the time the expensive mod is better but not all the time?on the issue of whether its rice or not my opinion is it depend's on somebody's eyes,the BEAUTY is in the EYES of the BEHOLDER.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:35 AM
Rice or not rice is all depend on the driver or the owner.
Car is a car, there are no ricer cars.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:52 AM
You guys are missing my point. Thanks for understanding my point Chikubi.

There's a lot of cheap and nasty stuff going around at the moment for the Fit, not to mention some of it is just a direct copy (ie: RIP OFF) of original quality goods made in Japan (without the "original" or "quality"). And the worst thing is when people actually buy it. Sure, not everyone can afford the real stuff, but it would be great if people decided to not spend their hard earnt cash on the fake stuff.

I'm all for each to their own, but this is just a thought that comes up every now and then. It's not up my bum or anything guys, just thought it would be an interesting topic to talk about, and perhaps bring up some interesting opinions from you guys, which it has.

Quick Reply: Is the Jazz a ricer car?