Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Question for MEN regarding your cars on behalf of all confused women

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Smile a quick note on "aerodynamic devices"

Hi,

I am married to a pilot (airline transport pilot licenses in Australia, the UK and the US - as in, he does it for a living). Even taking in to account the knowledge needed for his job, he has a special interest in, and aptitude for, aerodynamics.

Please don't flame me for this, but he reckons most (if not all) of the outrageous aero devices/spoilers he sees on the road not only do not help performance or handling, in normal (as in, not on a track) conditions they actually make the car's performance and/or handling worse. (An example of an aero device that does work is that little spoiler that comes out on certain Porsches when they exceed a certain speed.)

I guess I'm a substance over style girl. The more outrageous wing things not only look tacky (IMHO), they just look silly as they aren't really serving any useful purpose. Now, if someone takes their car to the track now and then, and has the aero devices adjusted so that they really do provide some benefit, then that is a different thing altogether.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Wife tells husband he has to quit drinking as they can't afford it.

Husband catches wife spending 60 bucks on makeup. He's like, hey, I quit drinking cause you said we can't afford it, and you spend money on makeup?

Wife answers that the makeup is make her attractive for him.

Husband answers, what do you think the beer was for.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Just saying, yeah i know cars also have trends, and i also agree on modifying it the way you like it. HONESTLY, i have laughed at some ppls cars, and I know, with the mini i had, people laugh at me, even if it is tuned out, but what does it matter? agreeing again, i modify my car to suit me, to make me happy, i dont really care what people think. yeah

about the spoilers (this thread has gotten into a lot about spoilers), doesnt some manufactuers do that now stock? Like Subaru Sti's and Evo's. Just a tangent thought, about oh i bet its for looks, but maybe it really does work when those cars have that much power. . . maybe those "ricers" actually have that much power on their car. . . maybe not.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Retired Moderator
^Yeah some Evo's and STi's come with a pretty big spoiler stock, i think it looks good on those cars!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:30 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
^Yeah some Evo's and STi's come with a pretty big spoiler stock, i think it looks good on those cars!
their spoilers are functional things. not like the "street fighter" wings or "invader style" wings that come with those really flashy body kits.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jazz GD3
about the spoilers (this thread has gotten into a lot about spoilers), doesnt some manufactuers do that now stock? Like Subaru Sti's and Evo's.
the Fit does too. look on the top back of the base model vs the sport. there's a roofline spoiler on the back of the sport model.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Retired Moderator
I do my mods for myself. I've been through the ricer stage with my first car and realized how much of a doofus I looked. With age comes knowledge and you start to think about what you want on your car and how it will look rather than buying the cheapest thing possible because it looks cool.

BTW I am a moron, I bought my g/f these earrings and I looked at the back pointy stud thing and I thought it looked a little bent. So, being the mechanical engineer I am, I tried to bend it back. SNAP...yeah now it's in for laser repairs...doh!!

Old 09-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Retired Moderator
I know the spoilers thing has been talked about enough, but here were two that I was able to get a pic of:

This one is a bit blurry, sorry, but I was in a rush with my camera phone. What you see is a Honda EK hatch with 2 aftermarket spoilers. You can definitely see the bigger one, but what you can sorta see is that it is bolted onto another metal spoiler ROFLMAO!

And this one is of an Accord with a gigantor spoiler...downforce YO!

Old 09-29-2007, 01:52 PM
well, as long as we're posting pictures...

Old 09-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
I do my mods for myself. I've been through the ricer stage with my first car and realized how much of a doofus I looked. With age comes knowledge and you start to think about what you want on your car and how it will look rather than buying the cheapest thing possible because it looks cool.
Ricer Car!!! (Never trust me with open access to pics!.... more wisdom!) Bwwaaa hahahahaha!!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Retired Moderator
I had to share those photos with everyone that I took last summer...ahh good times

Oh you bastard I hate you! See what happens when you don't have enough money for quality parts? Thank goodness I decided to go down a decent career path and it's finally paying off

Old 09-29-2007, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shaelyn
well, as long as we're posting pictures...

i'm absolutely speechless lol

Old 09-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Ricer Car!!! (Never trust me with open access to pics!.... more wisdom!) Bwwaaa hahahahaha!!
illusive this was your car? my roommate has a mazda protege5 and he showed me this pic in high school from his forums lol.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:00 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
I had to share those photos with everyone that I took last summer...ahh good times

Oh you bastard I hate you! See what happens when you don't have enough money for quality parts? Thank goodness I decided to go down a decent career path and it's finally paying off
ROFL!! No worries, still about 1000 times better than my first car. I found a youtube vid of my first car.... er... minus about a 200hp
YouTube - Swedish MTT BMW E30 325 Turbo Burnout

Could be worse this could have been your first car!