Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Dirty South Potato Salad

Old 03-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Dirty South Potato Salad

Here's my take on the best down and dirty potato salad.

Start off with 5lbs of potatoes, I prefer new (red) potatoes, but all I had were California Long Whites. Be sure and leave the skin on and dice into 1/2" to 5/8" cubes. Fill pot with cold water, some salt, dash of garlic powder and a couple tsps of oil. Add the potatoes and bring to a boil on med-high heat. Drop temp to medium and cook about 10-12 minutes, just until they start to get a little soft. You still want them to have some 'bite' in them. You don't want mush. Drain and let them cool for 30 minutes. Do NOT rinse them with cold water!

While those cook, boil up about 4-5 eggs. I had run out and only had one for my batch. After about 5 minutes of boiling, remove from heat and run cold water into the pot for a few minutes to cool them off. Remove shells and dice up.

Also chop into small pieces about 10 slices of slab hickory smoked pepper bacon and fry it up on medium heat in an iron skillet. Drain and let it cool as well.

While all that is cooling, chop up 1/2 of a medium size red onion.

In the big bowl you are going to mix this up in, you want to drop in the following ingredients: 3 tbsps of white vinegar, 2 tbsp or sugar, good palmfull of parsley, 1tsp of smoked paprika, 1 tbsp of garlic powder, 2 tsps of celery salt, dash of cracked red pepper flakes, 2.5 to 3 cups real mayonnaise and plenty of fresh cracked pepper.

Mix wet/dry ingredients thoroughly and then dump in the bacon, eggs and onion. Then fold potatoes in gently with a spatula. Add fresh ground sea salt (or regular salt) to taste and refrigerate overnight.

Grill you some Cheddar Brauts, crack open a Killian's Red and roll your sleeves up, 'cause it's gonna get messy.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Banned
Sid-
If you eat only what you post, you will need a Ford or Chevy Dually Crew Cab pickup to haul a 4 foot wide wheelchair and five big guys to push you around. I will make your Dulce de Leche Pie some day, but I am a Diabetic so it will be for a party, not for myself except for a taste. But the potato salad will be tried soon. Thanks for adding to my recipe collection.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
dam that sounds sooo good. ima have to try that someday