Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Discussion of the Day.. JDM: Rice? Yes/No?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Discussion of the Day.. JDM: Rice? Yes/No?

I'm super extremely bored at work...

What does everyone feel about the whole JDM scene? I personally love the look of clean looking cars, but it gets to a point where everyone wants to be JDM as F*ck and it all becomes common place, just as rice was huge back in the day right after the day of Fast and the Furious( with those Euro Tail Lights, Z3 Fenders, crazy body kits). JDM entails shocker signs, beginner/elder badges, domo-kun, drifting, chastising the people who still believe rice is still in.. Even though, now the whole VIP scene is taking off (anyone see that pink XB with the Sakura tea area in the back seats? wtf?)

You think JDM is just a phase where 10 years from now.. will we be saying, "what the f*$@ was i thinking?" or do you think the scene is here will have stream of faithful JDM followers? DISCUSS!

Old 09-27-2008, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Honestly, I've been thinking the same thing, I just couldn't put it as well as you did. I remember back in the day when altezza lights and extreme body kits were cool at one point, then overnight turned to rice. With the JDM scene (or to me the entire import scene) seems to be slowly dying. For me it has already died, which is why I'm keeping my car pretty much OEM. It's come to the point where everything's been done and we've seen it all. Fixed up cars still look good when done right, but it just doesn't have that appeal anymore. At least over here in Cali it seems like everyone and their mothers is driving a lowered car with rims, literally. To answer your question, in about 5 years I think we'll all look back at the JDM scene and laugh at it. Do the Japanese even fix up their cars anymore?

Old 09-27-2008, 05:36 PM
jdm is what people not in japan strive for, because its jdm. people in japan strive for different things, because obviously, their shit already comes jdm.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:43 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
i think there is a big difference between putting jdm stickers on your car and doing a jdm conversion or having japanese made parts on your car. the japanese people are masters at whatever craft they strive for. it reflects in the quality of the parts they produce. to me, its not about being jdm as fcuk but more about making your car look clean and having parts you can depend on/be proud of. i think its funny when someone has a "i <3 jdm" sticker on their car and nothing about their car is jdm other than the fact that their car was made in japan.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
i think there is a big difference between putting jdm stickers on your car and doing a jdm conversion or having japanese made parts on your car. the japanese people are masters at whatever craft they strive for. it reflects in the quality of the parts they produce. to me, its not about being jdm as fcuk but more about making your car look clean and having parts you can depend on/be proud of. i think its funny when someone has a "i <3 jdm" sticker on their car and nothing about their car is jdm other than the fact that their car was made in japan.
or their car is full of fakey parts that look like jdm stuff.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Banned
i think jdm is cool as long as its not overly done, like just make sure your car is still clean looking and it'll be cool forever, if its gaudy it will go out of style

Old 09-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Retired Moderator
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Do the Japanese even fix up their cars anymore?
Even overe here it is slowly cooling down and some of the regulations for car mods are getting really strict....there are still those that will mod there cars but not as many as before say over the past 10 years here in Japan

Old 09-27-2008, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
overly JDM is rice. buying something just because it is "jdm" or "jdm style" is rice. thinking something is better than a comparable product because it is "jdm" is rice

Old 09-27-2008, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
i dont care for the whole 'jdm' thing. if its neat its neat, but i would never buy anything just because its jdm...the only jdm thing i am considering buying is the jdm center console...looks way better.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:05 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Rice coms in all forms.. There is JDM rice... There is Rics.. there is Domestic Rice... I thought it was funny when in Japan they were doing "Cali" mods to their cars lol... seeing a bunch of car with the fake JDM parts on real JDM cars that USED to have the REAL JDM parts.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:33 PM
everyone seems to forget that this is also JDM style.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
^ I would consider that Bosozuku style to be more specific

Old 10-01-2008, 04:50 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
so if americans want to build their cars jdm do the japanese want to build their cars usdm?

Old 10-01-2008, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
^ probably not since they know japanese craftmanship is way better.
I think jdm is cool as long as you actually rep the parts by it. I think its stupid when people put those "I LOVE JDM STICKERS" but then they have like replica stuff on it.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:44 PM
i hope this dudes bumper flys off going down the road lol..... but for the JDM scene will be fine if people dont go to crazy with things like this pink THING!! lol as for the JDM tails that look like the REAL jdm tails will be fine JDM lips not the big body kits and conversions will all be fine if you keep it clean if you go big you go rice.

Originally Posted by Injundon
everyone seems to forget that this is also JDM style.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:53 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
so if americans want to build their cars jdm do the japanese want to build their cars usdm?
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
I thought it was funny when in Japan they were doing "Cali" mods to their cars lol... seeing a bunch of car with the fake JDM parts on real JDM cars that USED to have the REAL JDM parts.

they actually have meets were people fix up their cars JDM rice. lol

Old 10-01-2008, 09:06 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i think a clean build that your happy with is best. screw what everyone else thinks.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I think JDM is cool but it all depends on what your goals are for your car. I have real Mugen parts on the car so I
don't have a problem putting Mugen stickers on it and I am seriously thinking of having Mugen put on my vanity plate instead of Fit 2 Go. I am getting so tired of people trying to street race me and I think it is because of the plate. Most people will have no clue what it means except for Honda lovers! or import freaks! For me it is what your vision of the car is going towards and being happy with the end results.

Cat :x

Old 10-01-2008, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
i remember a thread on honda-tech where some japanese guys put cali plates on their cars LOL

Old 10-01-2008, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
I think I'll look back one day and be like.."WTH WAS I THINKING?!"

JDM is okay..but I would prefer to just make your car look however you want it to look rather than just doing something just because it is "JDM." What's the point if everyone followed ONE style? Then you'll just have a bunch of cars looking the same.

I'm not exactly one of the trendsetters around here, but I can at least say I mod to my own taste..not for other people to "OoOoo" and "AhHhh" at my car. It's called Sheila-DM.

If you think about it..in the beginning of the whole JDM era, the person who came up with the whole concept of modding your car subtly rather than big bodykits was probably laughed at by his/her bodykit friends.