Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Show me your fish tanks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Show me your fish tanks.

ok well i was bored today so i was taking pics of my fish tanks my big one is a 75gal with some big oscars in it and my little one is a nano reef tank with zoo polyps button polyps, nemo, pepperment shrimp, some crabs and other ods and ends but its dirty as hell and all my polyps are closed so you cant really see them in the pic. but if you guys have any fish tanks show um off. let me know what you guys thing.

Name:  fishtank16.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  103.7 KB

Name:  fishtank13.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  fishtank14.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  fishtank4.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  103.9 KB

Old 01-14-2009, 01:24 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
your fish seem to be enjoying themselves.

do you hunt? i spy a dear above one of the fish tanks. funny how you didnt should how many points it is. you could tell everyone it is a 9 point buck.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
My nano-reefing days started last summer and didn't last very long. Hobby ended up getting really expensive and addicting.

Here's my first tank, Nanocube 12g under CF's.

Name:  TANK.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  164.6 KB
Name:  DSC_0127.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  82.9 KB
Name:  DSC_0128.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  97.2 KB

Then went to a 29g Tall w/ Metal Halides:

Name:  DSC_0114.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  88.4 KB
Name:  DSC_0109.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  62.2 KB

Then my favorite setup was an Aquapod 24g w/ Metal Halides. I didn't get a good full tank picture. Only one I got was when the sand was still settling.

Name:  DSC_0163-1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  169.5 KB
Name:  DSC_0413.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  171.1 KB
Name:  DSC_0163-1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  169.5 KB
Name:  DSC_0415.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  108.7 KB
Name:  DSC_0419.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  133.6 KB
Name:  DSC_0416.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  131.1 KB
Name:  DSC_0406.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  127.2 KB
Name:  DSC_0411.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  168.3 KB
Name:  DSC_0412.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  99.2 KB
Name:  DSC_0417.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  98.5 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0163-1.jpg (169.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 AM
one day mine will look like that LOL i just set my saltwater up a month ago a little biospira and i was good to go see its my first saltwater so im learning what to do it what not to do. your tanks are super sexy lol high props on them.

EDIT: oh and how do you keep it so clean? do you use some type of algy cure? becouse i keep getting creamed with coraline algy i know its nice to have but i DONT want it its killing the look of my tank. what would be the best thing for such a small tank ? i just bought a 39gal bow front for my new house im gonna start with salt since the smaller the tank the harder it is to keep >.< i i would have know this i would of went with another 75gal.

Last edited by pwnstar; 01-14-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:35 PM
i found nemo.. lol cool fish tank and the lighting is perfect...
but i think the tank is underpopulated?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pwnstar
one day mine will look like that LOL i just set my saltwater up a month ago a little biospira and i was good to go see its my first saltwater so im learning what to do it what not to do. your tanks are super sexy lol high props on them.

EDIT: oh and how do you keep it so clean? do you use some type of algy cure? becouse i keep getting creamed with coraline algy i know its nice to have but i DONT want it its killing the look of my tank. what would be the best thing for such a small tank ? i just bought a 39gal bow front for my new house im gonna start with salt since the smaller the tank the harder it is to keep >.< i i would have know this i would of went with another 75gal.
This is all you need:

Mag-Float® Aquarium Cleaner Mini

Tank scraper to scrape all the algae off of the glass. For your nano all you need is this tiny one, but as you move to a bigger tank you can get a larger one.

Originally Posted by robertdjr
As far as livestock (fishes) go I was at the maximum. As far as corals, I was definitely underpopulated, lol. In my 12 gallon it looked plentiful, but as I kept on getting bigger tanks I realized that they require much more money to keep them looking good. Corals at $20-$50/pop will add up and take a chunk out of your wallet. So if I could do it all again, I would go with another 12g or 24g Nano and keep the maintenance easy and simple.

But one day when I get my own house I'm going to do a in wall at least 200g tank!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by robertdjr
yea both of our tanks are what you call a reef tank not many fish but lots of coral my tank is thrashed lol first tank learn from your mistakes.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Super Mario
This is all you need:

Mag-Float® Aquarium Cleaner Mini

Tank scraper to scrape all the algae off of the glass. For your nano all you need is this tiny one, but as you move to a bigger tank you can get a larger one.

As far as livestock (fishes) go I was at the maximum. As far as corals, I was definitely underpopulated, lol. In my 12 gallon it looked plentiful, but as I kept on getting bigger tanks I realized that they require much more money to keep them looking good. Corals at $20-$50/pop will add up and take a chunk out of your wallet. So if I could do it all again, I would go with another 12g or 24g Nano and keep the maintenance easy and simple.

But one day when I get my own house I'm going to do a in wall at least 200g tank!
and i have a magna float but my rocks and sand are getting covered with algy not the slime algy but the brown algy with very little coraline. i just wanna know how you keep all your rock and sand so clean.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Ohhh, you gotta get some snails. Turbo snails, nassarius snails, margaritas. Get a few and you'll see your tank clear up in a few days. They eat all of that algae stuff up. Hermit crabs seem to eat algae too, but at a fraction of the rate of snails, so they're basically useless.

Aquarium Snails: Sea Snail Species and Aquatic Saltwater Snails for reference.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Ohhh, you gotta get some snails. Turbo snails, nassarius snails, margaritas. Get a few and you'll see your tank clear up in a few days. They eat all of that algae stuff up. Hermit crabs seem to eat algae too, but at a fraction of the rate of snails, so they're basically useless.

Aquarium Snails: Sea Snail Species and Aquatic Saltwater Snails for reference.
ok yea i have a hermit crab a green emerald crab thats HUGE and a pepperment shrimp lol i had a turbo snail and a scooter blenny but once i put fiji rock in thay disapered lol i think i crushed them under it lol. but i might just let this tank crash and set up my 39 gal thats gathering dust iv heard that its harder to take care of a small tank then it is a bigger one.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:41 PM
"Youngest FitFreak"(without a Fit)
5 Year Member
Ahhhhh. Who doesn't love aqariums. I have like 15 lovable little tropical fish. Is caring for saltwater harder/more expensive than tropical fish tanks. Looking at yours makes me want to change.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
ok yea i have a hermit crab a green emerald crab thats HUGE and a pepperment shrimp lol i had a turbo snail and a scooter blenny but once i put fiji rock in thay disapered lol i think i crushed them under it lol. but i might just let this tank crash and set up my 39 gal thats gathering dust iv heard that its harder to take care of a small tank then it is a bigger one.
Why not just start setting up your 39G now? Add some sand, water, get all the live rock you need, set it up and let the tank cycle. Then after a few weeks transfer everything over. Don't let your tank crash! It's not cool to just let your perculas and other livestock die for no reason.

Once you get a big tank it's more stable as far as water quality goes, but there's more maintenance when it comes to water changes. When I had my 12g nano it was a 1-2 gallon water change/week. Went to the 29g and it became 7-8 gallons per week. But if you dose the tank with calcium lie a lot of people do then you won't have to do any water changes at all. Just get a skimmer to filter out the poop and you're good.

Originally Posted by C-Fit
Ahhhhh. Who doesn't love aqariums. I have like 15 lovable little tropical fish. Is caring for saltwater harder/more expensive than tropical fish tanks. Looking at yours makes me want to change.
Not necessarily harder, but more to learn and more time consuming than freshwater. Marine fish/corals are pretty sensitive to water quality, so you have to ensure they're getting the best. Start with a small tank and don't get too anxious to buy a billion fish and things all at once.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:13 PM
"Youngest FitFreak"(without a Fit)
5 Year Member
Not necessarily harder, but more to learn and more time consuming than freshwater. Marine fish/corals are pretty sensitive to water quality, so you have to ensure they're getting the best. Start with a small tank and don't get too anxious to buy a billion fish and things all at once.
Ok cool. When I get older (or when all my fish decide to randomly die), I will get into saltwater fishtanks. I love seeing all the fish and the lighting and the plants (I don't know what to call them and I don't want to make a fool of myself so I will momentarily call them plants).
These things!
Name:  DSC_0128.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  97.2 KB

Old 01-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
wow these are insane.

i want one (later in life)
damn.
sexy.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:23 PM
very impressive fish and tanks guys, i used to keep a planted community discus tank and truely miss the hobby. Now i'm thinking about starting again.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Here's an idea, shoot your fish, mount them to the wall. That would make as much sense as the deer.