Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

iPad, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
iPad, anyone?

Just wondering if there are any iPadders on Fitfreak? Might be fun to start a thread for app recommendations, reviews, general chatting, etc.

FWIW, I have a 64GB wi-fi iPad, mainly used for photo portfolio, gaming, and general inet activities when on the road.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:35 AM
How do you like it?

They seemed a bit interesting, but between an iPhone, iPod Touch, and an ASUS netbook, I can't see where it would offer anything for me. Haven't used one hands on yet.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:40 AM
I am on my iPad now. It's good for a lot of things. Internet is a little slower than I would like. I don't know if I am the only one to notice this but apple/iPad is extremely anti-second amendment. It never won't let you google gun sites and changes your searches all the time, it's a real Pita sometimes. But otherwise very portable and useful, long battery life as well.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by alvarospatchez
I don't know if I am the only one to notice this but apple/iPad is extremely anti-second amendment. It never won't let you google gun sites and changes your searches all the time, it's a real Pita sometimes.
Huh? I've never heard any complaints like that. I tried for myself just now and Googled and got to Smith & Wesson, also did a search for machine guns that pulled up all kinds of hits. I seriously doubt they're controlling where you can search and view pages; I believe it's illegal first, and second even if not, they'd have such a backlash it'd wouldn't be worth it I think.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
i don't have an ipad, yet.. kinda holding out for the rumored 7" screen ipad
Rumor: New iPad has 7-inch screen, Cortex-A9 processor | iPad Atlas - CNET Reviews

if i can manage it, i may even hold out for the 2nd gen ipad. i'm convinced apple will add a camera for video chat and give it a more geometric shape like the iphone4..... what's the etiquette against putting stuff like an ipad on your wedding registry?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Apple has had a long history of supporting anti-gun organizations. Try to google Remmington or a r15 with it. It automatically will put spaces and change letters. The only reason I have it is because my wife insisted on getting it and my laptop has a crashed HD. As soon as I recover from my surgery and am able to get a new laptop I will discontinue using it.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Apple has had a long history of supporting anti-gun organizations. Try to google Remmington or a r15 with it. It automatically will put spaces and change letters. The only reason I have it is because my wife insisted on getting it and my laptop has a crashed HD. As soon as I recover from my surgery and am able to get a new laptop I will discontinue using it.
That has nothing to do with Apple - Remington has only one m in it, and it's ar-15 not a r15; Google's only correcting your incorrect spelling. Using the correct spelling I can pull up tons of hits for either no problem.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:02 PM
No I spelled everything correctly the iPad I typed it on changed it.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
I'm on my iPad now. The girlfriend won it on facebook from shopping.com and we've really enjoyed it.

Oh and I just googled Remington guns and came up with lots of results...no auto correction.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Wow I wonder if I am the only one. That would be my luck.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
I am on my iPad now. It's good for a lot of things. Internet is a little slower than I would like. I don't know if I am the only one to notice this but apple/iPad is extremely anti-second amendment. It never won't let you google gun sites and changes your searches all the time, it's a real Pita sometimes. But otherwise very portable and useful, long battery life as well.
Check your Google preferences. You may have "safe" searching turned on. I don't have your problem at all on my iPad.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
How do you like it?

They seemed a bit interesting, but between an iPhone, iPod Touch, and an ASUS netbook, I can't see where it would offer anything for me. Haven't used one hands on yet.
So far, it's pretty cool, but it's kind of hard to quantify why. I suppose the benefit in your case would be that instead of carrying 3 separate devices you can get all that in one instead (even calls if you have a 3G iPad). I'm sure the user experience is very similar to your iPhone and Touch, but with the benefits that a larger screen and better processor bring to the table. I'm sure your current apps will work just fine on it too.

In my case, it makes a excellent portfolio for presentaions to clients, etc., with the benefit of superb mobile connectivity without the bulk that comes with a laptop/netbook. Unless I expect to do serious photo editing and the like for a job, I'd rather carry the iPad in almost any other situation. I would just go try one for fun and see what it does for you.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
How do you like it?

See, having an iphone AND iPod touch makes a little less sense to me.

Right now, I have a "full" laptop (15.4" ASUS G50, flaking out), an iPod Touch 2nd gen and a "plain" Motorola Z6c phone.

For me, the iPad would be a good compromise between the iPod's ease of use and the laptop's larger size.

iPod Touch for music on the go, everywhere! Need something really quick, pull it out, check it, go.

iPad would be useful if you want to go out and sit in a cafe or something. Or if you have ebook, kindle app, etc... nice size, not too heavy. Easier to walk and read around the house or at other places.

Laptop... when you need to do work on the go. If you have a tablet laptop, then it can replace the iPad.

Desktop... for some heavy duty work and GAMES!!!

Then, there's the phone... I got a regular phone mostly because the data rates are just too expensive for me to justify. Otherwise, I would've gotten an iPhone instead of the iPod touch.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
I got one a few days ago, and as a user of mac products since 1986, I don't think a piece of technology has thrilled me more since then. I'm noticing that a lot of very iPad specific apps are only now rolling out, and being that I've never had an iPhone, I am mostly downloading these.

As far as I can tell, and with the apps I have installed, I could take this on the road and do a ton with it. I've got video editing, multi-track DAW recording, photo editing, music creation, presentation creation/delivery, and word processing that are all tied together with an file management app that links the programs together, as well as with my pc at home and several online storage sites. I am even able to show clients 3D models with an app linked to an online account and let them interact with a model of a product in real time. It has the power to assemble presentations on the road, with voice overs recorded and then integrated into presentation with edited videos in them. It's all in how you use it. If I bought one and just played games on it, or played with iPhone apps in 2X size, I don't think I'd "get it."

One could say that a netbook could do all this, and whatever (I have one of those too) but for some reason, the iPad gives you a nice working system with some parameters to flex your creativity around (and amazingly creative apps to help.) I am usually most productive when I have a more limited tool set available to me. Probably just helps me focus on the ideas instead of all the distracting wizardry.

The whole iPad thing is about the experience though. If your job requires a lot of creativity, I think this enhances the most important, and hardest, aspect of the job, which is to feel creative. Most folks aren't inspired 24/7, yet they have to depend on that spark to get good work done. This may only involve having to jot down an idea and fluff it up with the help of a few apps until you can get to your main machine. Capturing the idea and getting is rolling is key.

Anyways, I'm loving it. Of course, I might not be as enthusiastic if the OS update that fixes the bottlenecks wasn't going to come out...but it is. A++

Old 10-12-2010, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
my parents bought me an ipad 3g as an engagement gift. i haven't put it down since i fired it up this past sunday. battery life is INCREDIBLE and it hasn't past its break-in period yet.

so far, i've downloaded all the free photo editing apps i could make use of, finance calculators, tab enabled browsers, news apps, music/radio apps, tv/video apps, and games. such a versatile mobile software platform

since i have an iphone4 i thought it would numb the ipad experience... i was wrong; i was also wrong to think my iphone (non 3g) to iphone4 transition would be seamless. it's really hard to explain the difference between tooling around on an iphone and the ipad, it's unexplainably different from being on a netbook altogether.

next up, tethering; paying for one 3g media plan is better than paying for two

Last edited by GD3_Wagoon; 10-12-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
I have an iPad 64g wifi 3g. I work for the federal court and requested one. We are working towards a more virtual environment here in our district. all i can say about the ipad is wow. i love it. itap for the win haha.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 AM
iPads are great, especially for older peeps that are not super computer savvy.

I gave one to my mom!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
I broke down and got an iPad this August after I dropped my laptop and was having it repaired. I like the small size & general portability. it is not a replacement for a computer, but a nice addition. I find all email attachments do not come through and it is annoying you can't view items that require flash player. It's a great toy. I like the calendar and the great variety of free and inexpensive apps.

This post was made via iPad :;

Last edited by sooznd; 02-09-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:04 PM
I've had an iPad w/3G for over 1 year and find it very handy but agree it is not a computer replacement.

I've looked at friends iPhones and find the screens way too small and would have to wear reading glasses to see the text whereas the iPad is large enough for me to read without glasses.

I also take it with me on car trips for the navigation and live traffic maps and keep it bedside for web browsing and e-mail.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 PM
i've had an iPad classic for a while now. i occasionally get really bored of it until i learn of another killer app that i have to download. it's really handy for living room browsing but my most frequently used app at the moment is snapseed since i gave up trying to learn photoshop. now i just pop in my SD card from my camera and a simple edit takes 2-3 minutes.

i'm pretty stoked about the iPad 3's rumored retina display and i'll upgrade when it's available.

Quick Reply: iPad, anyone?