Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Ideas for a cheap auto x car

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Ideas for a cheap auto x car

Just curious too see what opinions of what would be the optimal platform for auto x maybe scca...I'll be trying amateur stock class, some cars I have in mind Honda crx and ford mustang 87-93. Has to be cheap easy to work on. Throw me some ideas

Old 10-01-2010, 12:05 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Miata... done

Old 10-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Miata is a very good choice

Old 10-01-2010, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Itsslow
Yes it is. If you're serious you should get one.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:59 PM
definitely Miata

Old 12-04-2010, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
Mazda Miata is the perfect platroom. It is affordable, handles great and parts are in abundant.

~Robert

Old 12-04-2010, 08:57 AM
etf
5 Year Member
Miatas are used in competition more than any other car in the country. Therefore the aftermarket and technical knowledge is vast. You can compete in everything from your local autocross (with a minimal cost) to Spec Miata in SCCA or NASA to Playboy MX-5 Cup or Grand-Am pro racing.

zoom-zoom!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Itsslow
I definitely agree that the Miata is a great choice.

But just so you have something to compare it with, I figure I'll throw in my 2 cents because I am a FF guy at heart. (Front Engine, Front Wheel Drive for those who don't know what FF stands for.)

1st Gen Sentra SE-R - A little hard to come by, but can't be touched when equipped with a well built SR20. Check out Project Car Magazine's build for ideas.

93-98 (MK3) VR6 Jetta or GTI - Easy to work on and super cheap.

02-06 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V - Huge power and torque from the factory QR25 engine, just be wary of the cat on the header corroding and pieces of metal getting sucked into the block. Full aftermarket exhaust solves the problem.

Eagle Talon TSI - Everyone looks for an Eclipse, so you can get the Eagle which is virtually the same exact car pretty damn cheap.

Nissan Maxima - If you are lucky enough to find one with a 6 speed, you have the epitome of a "sleeper." People underestimate this car because they think it is too bulky, but the V6 in this thing is a beast.

I will never reccomend a Ford product to anyone because I don't know how I would live with myself. A Fox Mustang will get eaten alive in the corners and you will never get your money back if you decide to sell it. The 8 cylinder crap boxes from the "big three" are good for one thing only... drag racing.

Good luck though, keep us posted on what you decide.