Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Thinking of doing a road trip...

Old 02-19-2011, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thinking of doing a road trip...

I've been wanting to do a road trip since I moved back to Chicagoland area a few years back. The urge only increased once I bought the Fit.

I'm thinking about actually doing it this summer. Take a few weeks off from work and just drive across the country.

Can't figure out any route that would have sights to see, to avoid having too long of a stretch of "blah driving."

The only things I really want to incorporate into the trip is obviously to end up back in Chicago. And my major stop would be in San Diego. Two minor stops would be New York to visit a friend and somewhere in Texas to visit my colony of relatives (lol), near DFW, I think. Heck, maybe even meet Texas Coyote too.

So yeah, looking for help to plan this route.

Yes, I plan on doing this in my Fit. Maybe even drag a friend along (gotta teach him to drive stick!).

Las Vegas, Yellowstone and Yosemite are some places I've considered. Colorado mountains would be, if there's snow to do some snowboarding. But like I said, there's still vast driving distances of nothing to do (that I know of).

Old 02-19-2011, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
That would be a long trip! Since you're going to be going to New York and then the DFW area, may I suggest making a slight detour towards the Dragon on the way which is around Deals Gap, North Carolina if I recall correctly and offers 318 turns in 11 miles, need I say more?

Old 02-19-2011, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds exciting!!!

But, never having driven there or anything other than urban roads and casual state highways... I'm actually curious how "dangerous" 'it would be to me.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm, I'm not sure either; however, if I recall correctly Klasse Act has organized several group runs going to and on the Dragon so he should be able to offer great hind-site. If you do decide to head that way, send him a PM first.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
A year or so ago i did a cross country trip from ct to ca and back in 2 weeks. The fit did amazing. Probably one of the best trips in my life. We took i70 all the way out there pretty much.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Extended road trips are worth the effort. If you're going to cross the country there's hardly any way to avoid long empty highway. And there's really no reason to want to, it's part of this huge country of ours.

You get anywhere near NY and I'll go out of my way to tie up with you.

I would think head east on a northern route then cut south and head back on the southern run. You're going to need three weeks minimum if you want more than 70mph and truck stops.