Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Any martial artists a fit freak?

Old 07-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Any martial artists a fit freak?

Whats up guys n gals, bored beyond belief at work and figured id get on the forums to kill time.

Anyways, I got to wondering if any other fit owners practice martial arts. Would be intresting to see what disciplines you guys are into. I am training muay boran and muay thai. Been doing it for a year and a half now and its really awsome. I love the training and am fascinated with the history of it. Im not training for a career or anything, just do it for shits and giggles. Its a great hobby!

Old 07-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Interesting. I was stationed with the 187th Regimental Combat Team at Beppu, Kyushu, Japan back (way back) in 1954. I became very active in Judo at the local Dojo. Before my tour of duty there ended I had earned my 1st degree black belt from the Kodokan College of Judo in Tokyo. I never practiced it after that but it certainly gave me a confidence, whether real or imagned, that lasted me for the rest of my life.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 PM
O wow, that was way back when. I always found judo inttesting because it seems like a system that is based on controlling you're opponent with techniques such as throws and joint manipulation. At least in my observation. A very different approach to subduing sn opponent.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not a martial artist but I have a walking stick that discouraged some young pachucos in Matamoros from trying to strong arm me one afternoon.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Muay Thai here. Used to box and wrestle as well.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu looks pretty handy, wish I had time to get more involved in any of the above.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
I study a lot of martial arts... I learn multiple to see the differences in the arts. Right now, my main study is Wing Chun.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Judo, Tae Kwon Do and Muay Thai.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Muay Thai here. Used to box and wrestle as well.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu looks pretty handy, wish I had time to get more involved in any of the above.
Yea man, same here. I wish I had more time to add another discipline to my learning. Judo and brazilian jiu jitsu both call my attention. School and work doesnt leave time for much else.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by XxProdigyxX
I study a lot of martial arts... I learn multiple to see the differences in the arts. Right now, my main study is Wing Chun.
That is pretty intresting. I'm not to familiar with wing chun. Did you have to travel alot to learn some of your disciplines?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Honda neewb
That is pretty intresting. I'm not to familiar with wing chun. Did you have to travel alot to learn some of your disciplines?
Yeah, over summers, I just travel to places and try to learn as much as I can. I'm a pretty fast learner and a hard worker. Wing Chun is a chinese martial art. It's really interesting, you should read up on it or watch videos. It is mostly hand combat.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
When I was younger, I took six years of Kenpo Karate and reached black belt, and I also took some Jiu Jitsu classes that they offered for about six months or so. I stopped to play football and eventually wrestling during my high school years.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Those were the days my friend;

It seems like 100 yrs. ago, I used to try and study JKD, I seen some crazy shit, like the time a Kung Fu Instructor and Teacher went at it. At 1st they were just play fighting, like slap hands down and stuff. Every time the Instructor made a move my teach would counter him almost in the middle of his move. Well it excalated with the Inst. on the floor in a daze.

I asked my friend to hit my leg, like 1/2 strength with one of those kicks from Muay Thai, I had a bump under my skin, almost insteadly, I was in pain for wks. I glad I didnt ask him to use his elbows.LOL I dont rember but dont they have to break like 10 baseball bats in a single blow with their the shin of the leg to pass a test to teach. Mike was one hell of a tough Irish Man. Their kicking bags are like 8ft. long.