Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

'dis town blows

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM
'dis town blows

<start whiny biatch session>
I need to vent a bit after trying to find a local shop to install my new swift springs. I haven't lived in my area for that long and got a few local's recommendations on getting my springs installed. Both shops said they don't do import work. So I called two places that they recommended. One doesn't do aftermarket parts, the other looked in their "book" and said it would be a 10 hour job.

I start calling import shops out of the phone book and so far only have one shop willing to do it, but they couldn't give me a quote since the service mgr's wife is having a baby today.

Yeah, I know it's a do-able DIY, but I have no space to do it and am traveling weekends and working over-8hr days presently. I jus' wanna give someone my money and have it done competently while I'm at work. Bah.

Had the same problem getting tint. I wanted ceramic tint and all of the recommended shops in the area had never heard of it. The ONE that did know what ceramic tint is had a bad rep.

Can't wait to get back to a metro area (two months left ).

</end whiny, biatch session>

Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
10 hours?! Holy hell! I haven't done springs on the fit yet but I highly down it would take 10 hours. Maybe 5 tops... Good luck with that hell hole you seem to be in.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Jamy
10 hours?! Holy hell! I haven't done springs on the fit yet but I highly down it would take 10 hours. Maybe 5 tops... Good luck with that hell hole you seem to be in.
Just got to wait it out. I'm moving in a couple of months (W00t!).

The 10 hours shop told me their book said 2.5 hrs per spring. So, the diy'ers on fitfreak should be proud to be crazy gifted suspension pro's!

I may have to *cough* take a sick day soon and do this thing.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
They had to have confused that with a different car. My BMW didn't take more than 5 hours to do the springs and shocks on it... And I was 16 when I did those..

Old 07-27-2011, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
I highly doubt that it would be 10 hours to do springs, even it they were do align the car right afterwards. Maybe 1.5 hours without an alignment (the shortest I've heard of took 15 minutes haha).

I'll be honest, I haven't installed lowering springs but from what it looks like on the Fit is that rear springs can basically "pop" out once the rear is in the air. So that should be a matter of removing the stocks and installing the Swifts.

For the front, the strut assembly will have to be removed (if I remember right), the spring gets compressed, the "top hat" gets removed, swap the springs, reverse dis-assembly and repeat for the other side.