Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

15 Most Dangerous Cites for Driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation 15 Most Dangerous Cites for Driving

FYI. Just wanted to share this interesting read in case you missed it. By just the headline I would have guessed Northeast or Northwest states but NOT.

Here's the link: 15 Most Dangerous Cities for Driving

Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
I seen that too. I was surprised Chicago was not in there with all the red light cameras.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, Los Angeles/San Francisco areas and New York would have been on my list...

Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I seen that too. I was surprised Chicago was not in there with all the red light cameras.
Would not red light cameras make streets safer in Chicago, by making it less likely for people to run red lights, for fear of a ticket? Just asking.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
Would not red light cameras make streets safer in Chicago, by making it less likely for people to run red lights, for fear of a ticket? Just asking.
Red light cameras are for revenue. Drivers race to the light to beat the light change and they have a timer that they can see so people race through it. The red lights are not on all but enough to cause problems. It also makes it impossible for people to cross the streets and thats why this crazy state is going to make it worse by making a law that if a person puts a foot in the street the cars must stop and let them cross or what ever they want to. Traffic will really be messed up then and that will be another revenue stream. They already set up road blocks to check for DUI and seat belts.

The other problem is people slamming on the brakes. Lots of rear ends.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah the big is issue is that I've seen is people SLAMMING on their brakes for yellows for fear that they'll get a ticket....

(in Chicago btw)

Old 08-13-2011, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoFits
Yeah the big is issue is that I've seen is people SLAMMING on their brakes for yellows for fear that they'll get a ticket....

(in Chicago btw)
I see it all the time and driving a truck in the city the timer really helps but cars have to look up where its in my vision of traffic. Turning on red is the other, after a 3 second stop they can continue to turn is no traffic and there is no turn on red.

Did you here about the law the state wants to pass where a person can legally J walk and step off the curb in front of cars and traffic has to yield. I would not hit them but trying to stop a heavy truck is not easy and it gives them the power to do what ever they want. People crossing at a cross walk is OK but they should have the light or started when no cars coming. Its even more dangerous in the suburbs where traffic speeds are 40-50 mph.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I see it all the time and driving a truck in the city the timer really helps but cars have to look up where its in my vision of traffic. Turning on red is the other, after a 3 second stop they can continue to turn is no traffic and there is no turn on red.

Did you here about the law the state wants to pass where a person can legally J walk and step off the curb in front of cars and traffic has to yield. I would not hit them but trying to stop a heavy truck is not easy and it gives them the power to do what ever they want. People crossing at a cross walk is OK but they should have the light or started when no cars coming. Its even more dangerous in the suburbs where traffic speeds are 40-50 mph.
Yeah I heard about it and it's incredibly infuriating.

Though it's not like I don't already have people doing that where I live...What was wrong with people having to cross at a crosswalk? Why has the act of "playing frogger" become legal? haha

Old 08-14-2011, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
salt lake city? really!!! i can drive this town blind folded - whatever i lived in SoCal last summer - waaaaaaaaaaay more dangerous IMO

Old 08-14-2011, 05:06 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
stupid data is stupid. they are comparing population to automobile fatalities and displaying it as a ratio. too many variables. unreliable source. :thumbsdown:

Old 08-15-2011, 04:43 AM
Hmm.. so dangerous means somebody needs to die.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Lots of people in so cal do not know that vehicles come equipped with turn signals. It drives me ape sh!t when people change lanes abruptly in front of me without signaling!

Old 08-15-2011, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Honda neewb
Lots of people in so cal do not know that vehicles come equipped with turn signals. It drives me ape sh!t when people change lanes abruptly in front of me without signaling!
That's defensive driving class 101. Most people buy all the option packages for their cars but leave out the blinkers. Or buy the blinker package but forget the "auto-off" blinker option.

I know what you mean... Just as bad as the "indecision" drivers... "Should I change lanes? Maybe not... Yes I will... maybe not..."

Old 08-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Subie
That's defensive driving class 101. Most people buy all the option packages for their cars but leave out the blinkers. Or buy the blinker package but forget the "auto-off" blinker option.

I know what you mean... Just as bad as the "indecision" drivers... "Should I change lanes? Maybe not... Yes I will... maybe not..."
For realzies man. Its ridiculous how many types of bad divers there are out here. Side from the ones we already mentioned, there is the dreaded bros and soccer moms who think their raised trucks are zondas! They weave their big ass trucks thru traffic at massive speeds as if they were purpose built super cars. Why didn't they just buy a gt?

Old 08-15-2011, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
No 3rd row seats!

Old 08-16-2011, 03:21 AM
I'm shocked Boston or Los Angeles isn't on the list. I personally can't wait to get out of socal. The traffic sucks at 1am. Yea 1am. The drivers here are ridiculous, especially after it hasn't rained in a long time.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:45 PM
hmmm nice read