Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Drinking it away

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Drinking it away

Grandfather died this afternoon. Trying to erase all thoughts with whiskey, but they wont go away.

edited to correct spelling of whiskey...didn't know there's an "e" in there

Last edited by GAFIT; 01-06-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about that but drinking is not what you want to do. My mom died suddenly last year when she was getting better. Just remember this is the waiting room till the next life.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you for your thoughts. I realize the drinking is merely a crutch, but its putting me in a temporarily better mood.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
I was messed up for weeks but its part of life and it never happens at the right time. Meaning it usually when things are the busiest at home and work. Dont act out especially when a police officer follows you home and arrests you for talking back. It happen to my son. Long story short he got the book thrown at him and he was trying to be a police officer.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 01-06-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
I completely understand your son's position. That would have been me in the past. I'm now almost 40 and just stay home. The huge plus for me is I have a wife who can't drink and will take me where I want to go if I get the bug

Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Damn dude. Sorry to hear that. Mine passed away a year ago in a couple of months. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 PM
In our thoughts, Godspeed

Old 01-06-2012, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
Damn dude. Sorry to hear that. Mine passed away a year ago in a couple of months. Remember it like it was yesterday.
Very sorry! I know that it's not easy

Old 01-06-2012, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkane
In our thoughts, Godspeed
Thank you!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
SilverBullet is right but I understand how when the reality of losing a loved one hits it isn't a bad idea to soften the blow with a few shots to dull the pain... Alcohol is no worse a medicine than something that is prescribed by a doctor as long as you respect it... I hope your pain eases but don't hide from it because it can get to you subconsciously at a later point in time and you may have a problem sorting out what it is that is affecting you... Allow yourself to feel what you feel.. Its OK to need a drink.... Medical corpsmen in Vietnam carried brandy to ease a persons feelings of grief of a guy that was taking the loss of a friend hard.... I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you Texas Coyote for the words of wisdom. I'm attempting to attack this one head on. I don't want to cry for weeks. I'd rather let out what I can now and analyze my feelings later. I'm Irish/German so I have to drink (Irish) so that I can feel (German).

Old 01-06-2012, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Thank you Texas Coyote for the words of wisdom. I'm attempting to attack this one head on. I don't want to cry for weeks. I'd rather let out what I can now and analyze my feelings later. I'm Irish/German so I have to drink (Irish) so that I can feel (German).
Irish must drink whiskey because their stomachs are made of copper and corrodes if they put beer or wine in it..

Old 01-06-2012, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
SilverBullet is right but I understand how when the reality of losing a loved one hits it isn't a bad idea to soften the blow with a few shots to dull the pain... Alcohol is no worse a medicine than something that is prescribed by a doctor as long as you respect it... I hope your pain eases but don't hide from it because it can get to you subconsciously at a later point in time and you may have a problem sorting out what it is that is affecting you... Allow yourself to feel what you feel.. Its OK to need a drink.... Medical corpsmen in Vietnam carried brandy to ease a persons feelings of grief of a guy that was taking the loss of a friend hard.... I'm sorry for your loss.
You warned me and I did not drink. It was hard but it brought the family closer.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Irish must drink whiskey because their stomachs are made of copper and corrodes if they put beer or wine in it..
Just to make sure there is no "corrosion" I"m drinking Jameson

Old 01-06-2012, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
The family, which includes my 15 month old son, is in bed asleep. I'm drinking/mourning now, but my Irish heritage allows me to resume roll as dad/husband come morning.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Don't try to forget, just enjoy the memories, he'll always be with you in one way or another.

My condolences btw.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
GAFIT,

I'm so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family. Hang in there my friend!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your loss...

My grandfather passed away over 3 yrs ago, and it still hurts. I was very close to him especially being his first grandchild, and he taught me a lot of things about life.

The best thing to do is think of the good memories, and pass them on to your son. Share the photo's, videos, and stories on to the next generation. Thinking of the good times eased the pain for me a little. I also like to think a little part of him still lives on with each generation (can't explain it better).

I hope you feel better soon, it gets a little difficult in the beginning upon hearing, and then accepting the death, just stay strong, and positive; time will also help.

One of my uncles came to a tragic untimely death before his time, this past summer. It's not easy at all, but we all have to proceed on with life the best we can. My condolences to you and your family.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Mike and 2012, thanks for your condolences. I will hang in there and I will continue to remember the good times.

My grandfather was like a father since he always lived nearby and was available while my dad worked crazy hours. He helped me assemble my first bicycle and was always there with a helpful hand. He grew up as an orphan in the depression so he valued the family he made more than anything. I will do my best to live up to his legacy.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you FitStir and sorry for your loss as well. You have very good suggestions.

Quick Reply: Drinking it away