Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

I just bought a Honda Fit last week

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 AM
I just bought a Honda Fit last week

Hello everyone, I just purchased a brand new 2012 Honda Fit. Actually this is my first car. I live in SoCal and have been lucky enough to get wherever I wanted to go on buss and subway but a few months ago I had to pull a crazy schedule to finish finals at school. So I said I had had enough and went car shopping. Anything I should know about or any tips on taking car of this car?

Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
Congratulations on your first car. I remember the first new car I purchased back in 1987. I also am a recent Fit owner. I just picked up my 2013 3 days ago and have lots of questions too. Any information that anyone wants to share will be much appreciated.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Congrads to both of you for joining the Fit Family. Avoid those hand washing car wash places. The Fit paint is soft and unless you take care in how you wash and dry it, you can end up with tons of swirls. I've had my Fit since 2007 and I love it more today than the day I got it. Enjoy - post up any pictures of any modifications you might do and most of all have a blast being a new Fit Freak!

Old 10-13-2012, 04:10 AM
Novaken1 I fell in love with the 2012 model when I test drove it back in June. Are there any major differences between 2012 and 2013.

Cat, thanks for the tip. I'm really new to cars.... I'm still trying to figure out when I should get my first oil change and what oil to use. So I don't think I'll be modifying it any time soon ha ha ha. I think I'll go to my local walmart and pick up a car wash kit and do it on my own then.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:25 AM
First car and a great choice. No 4wd truck.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Follow the manual/computer on oil changes- DON'T do the first oil change early (lots of posts here and explanation in the manual about why)

Old 10-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Sorvez
Novaken1 I fell in love with the 2012 model when I test drove it back in June. Are there any major differences between 2012 and 2013.
The sole differences between the 2012 and 2013 model years are paint color availability and the model year printed on the identification stickers.

In terms of car care suggestions: don't drive like a maniac. Keep up with the basic maintenance (checking fluid levels from time to time, keeping the tires properly inflated, replacing filters/brake pads/tires as needed, etc.). Don't ride the brake or clutch (if it's a manual). Get a sun shade for the windshield, both for your comfort and for the car interior's longevity. These are, of course, relevant for any car, not just the Fit.

You may want to put some sort of a screen in place to protect the A/C condenser from flying rocks and such at some point in time. There are how-to threads here describing the process; it's not too difficult. The condenser on the Fit is somewhat exposed to damage, and a screen is cheap insurance against possibly having to replace it some day.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:03 PM
DrewE thanks for the info. When I get a brake from school I'll put a screen in. I want my car to last. Maybe it's cause I'm a new driver but I drive like a grandpa sometimes. I either go the speed limit or a little under. So I don't think I drive crazy. I have an automatic fit, I'll look online to see how to do the proper maintenance.