Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Hello. My name is Dave and I am a flashaholic.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Banned
Thumbs up Hello. My name is Dave and I am a flashaholic.

I am addicted to collecting powerful flashlights, and Chinese manufacturers have come up with some really interesting and powerful devices at extremely low prices.

So far, I have purchased two 500 lumen LED flashlights from Costco at a bargain retail price of $24.00 per pair (and so has Wafulz).

Then, on eBay, I found and bought a 3800 lumen LED flashlight for $32.99 with free shipping. Then bought two 1600 lumen flashlights for $12.95 each. 1000 yard range.

I bid on an auction for a 1000 lumen light, and will win at $10.00 or less.

Then ended the day with a purchase of a 6000 lumen LED flashlight at under $100.00 being shipped from Canada.

All of the above lights run on the type 18650 rechargeable 3.7 volt Li-Ion batteries which are available cheap on eBay, so I currently own 8 of those with another 4 on the way.

I currently carry the 1300 lumen Coast C-cell LED flashlight in my car, but will replace it with the 1800 lumen one that is in transit from China if I can figure out a way to mount it to my driver's door. The monster light from Coast makes a great weapon both in light output and length/weight club, but the 3800 lumen light will replace that with blinding power alone. This one will light five football fields placed end-to end.

If any members have an interest in killer-power flashlights, PM me. I will try to give you links to some interesting stuff. Keep in mind that the above mentioned lights have not yet arrived, and I have not yet tested them. It may be that the Chinese quality is not worth the (small) price. I am willing to risk the money to find out.

The recent purchase that I am most hopeful about is today's purchase of the 6000 lumen searchlight. This is a small package with a huge light output. The price was low, and I hope that the quality and lifespan will justify the price.

Last edited by Triskelion; 02-23-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
You're totally set to go hunt trolls! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trollhunter

Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by fujisawa
You're totally set to go hunt trolls! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trollhunter
Yep. Set to hunt trolls or anything else. I lost my GD3 Fit with only 11K miles to a truck with illegally bright off-road lights mounted on its roof, grille guard and bumper, that blinded me and forced me off the road over a cliff. That is not going to happen again!

Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Dave, I too have purchased some interesting torches from China. My experience is that you get a lot of power for your money, and the finish is very good. The problem I have with each one of mine though, is that the on-off switches become glitchy over time. My better branded ones have never failed. I go to those units whenever I anticipate a need for a more reliable light source.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Bright lights are a pet peeve of mine too. Recently a land rover was so bright (parked on the wrong side of the road) I literally couldn't drive up the street towards him. I honked and honked (how rude is this in an residential area?) and eventually he pulled up and was like "you OK?"

And when I explained that I just plain couldn't SEE because he had his high beams on, he was all "Uuuuhhhh ... oh, I didn't realize ... I had them on ..." This is some rich douche who presumably just leaves the high beams on all the time because it's easier than learning how to move the lever.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Bright lights are a pet peeve of mine too. Recently a land rover was so bright (parked on the wrong side of the road) I literally couldn't drive up the street towards him. I honked and honked (how rude is this in an residential area?) and eventually he pulled up and was like "you OK?"

And when I explained that I just plain couldn't SEE because he had his high beams on, he was all "Uuuuhhhh ... oh, I didn't realize ... I had them on ..." This is some rich douche who presumably just leaves the high beams on all the time because it's easier than learning how to move the lever.
What the hell does that have to do with flashlights?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
^^ lol

subscribed. been looking at flashlights on ebay too.

CREE XM L T6 1800Lm LED Zoomable Zoom Torch Flashlight 2 x 18650 Charger GD | eBay

Just not really sure if it's any good

Old 02-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
^^ lol

subscribed. been looking at flashlights on ebay too.

CREE XM L T6 1800Lm LED Zoomable Zoom Torch Flashlight 2 x 18650 Charger GD | eBay

Just not really sure if it's any good
My practice lately in pursuing the hobby of collecting high power LED lights is to find an interesting item, look at the "Buy It Now" price range of similar items, then bid on the one that I would like to have. My max bid is for as much as I am willing to pay, based on simple sales of that type of item. I just lost an auction for a 6000 lumen torch when the seller cancelled the auction with no explanation. But I was hoping to lose that auction anyway because a much better 6000 lumen light is on order from Canada.

Anyway, with my automatic bid in place on auctions, I don't have to watch the auction's progress. If someone outbids me, my bid automatically goes up until it reaches my max. This generally works out getting good stuff at the lowest possible price.

The 3800 lumen light that I mentioned in the OP arrived from China at the San Francisco Post Office today and should get to my own P. O. in the next couple of days. I will review it in the near future (and I am very curious about the quality too).

Old 02-25-2013, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Hi my names Jay and im a Flashlight crack head hahaha i even bought those costco flashlights for my father in law he was FREAKEN Amzed by the brightness for such a low price and durability is great

Last edited by Wafulz; 02-25-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
I started buying high powered torches in '06. They have come a long way in that time. The XML emitters are unfreakin believable. I have 1 18650 XML MG I bought 4 years ago when they first came out and that seemed to sate my flashlight urge since. I have a few Fenix torches and a IluminaTi AAA I keep on my key chain. Really handy. I used to hang out at CandlePowerForums, but haven't been there in a long time.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Flash lights oooohhh flashlights Cant wait to get my new flashlight

Old 03-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Wafulz
Flash lights oooohhh flashlights Cant wait to get my new flashlight
How convenient- good news for you. According to tracking info., your new flashlight arrived this morning at my Post Office. But, if things go the way they usually do, the package probably won't be available in my P. O. box today and I will have to pick it up tomorrow.

I also want to prepare you for something- after reading up on several flashlight forums, it looks like Chinese flashlight makers all lie about the brightness of their products. Kind of like "Genuine JDM Parts" on eBaymotors.

So, I will test the twin of your light and describe what I see in a PM to you. If the news isn't good, you are under no obligation to buy. It will be your decision. I will PM you as soon as I have the lights.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Banned
For anyone else looking for a good flashlight, here is a recommendation. I accidentally bought two of these, and Wafulz volunteered to buy the extra one. For under $13.00, this is a pretty great flashlight. Is it as bright as the ad claims? I really don't know and have no way to measure. But, it is brighter than the 500 lumen Costco sale lights that started this thread, and the beam is "zoomable". At highest focus, the beam pattern is brightest and has an odd square pattern. As you zoom out for a flood pattern, the light has a round pattern.

You get two battery holders. One holds three "AAA" size batteries, and the other holder holds one "18650" Li Ion rechargeable battery. The quality of the machining and hard anodizing is very good. It is small enough to fit in your pocket. For the small price with free shipping, this is a great buy. You can pay a lot more and still get less of a flashlight.

Here is the link:

1600Lm CREE XM L T6 LED Flashlight 5 Switch Mode Zoomable Dimmer Torch Lamp | eBay

Wafulz is planning on keeping this light in his Fit. It is perfect for that purpose.

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-01-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
i just sent the payment cant wait till i get it

Old 03-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Banned
i just sent the payment cant wait till i get it
Got it Jerry- thanks! This will go out Priority Mail Monday morning and you should have it by about Wednesday.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
yeah!!! i got it dave thanks so much its at my home so i have yet to see it or try it but father in law said it arrived thanks so much

Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Banned
yeah!!! i got it dave thanks so much its at my home so i have yet to see it or try it but father in law said it arrived thanks so much
You're welcome! I'll bet that your father-in-law will be jealous. It is brighter and does all of the things as your gift flashlight from Costco, but the new one is half the size, and same price.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Dave when he heard there was a flashlight in there he was like OMG another one is there one for me in the package to lol

i might get him the gold one you showed me let me know how it is when it arrives ill take pics of new flashlight and post here

Old 03-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Banned
Dave when he heard there was a flashlight in there he was like OMG another one is there one for me in the package to lol

i might get him the gold one you showed me let me know how it is when it arrives ill take pics of new flashlight and post here
Wow! You are going to let me spend all the spare cash in your whole family. Just remember that the gold one only works on type 18650 Li-Ion rechargeable batteries, and it needs four of those. After I ordered that one with 6000 lumen output, I found a similar one with 8000 lumens. I don't really need both of them. So I will only test the gold anodized 6000 lumen light, then let you know how well it works. If you want it for "Dad", I will sell it for my cost. It should be here sometime next week.

As you saw in my Coverking seat cover photos, that "light cannon" clipped to my driver's door is a little too big and clumsy. It puts out 1300 lumens with a 500-yard range. I will replace it with the 8000 lumen light that is much smaller in size, but has a 1000-yard range.

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-06-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
yea i seen that its nice but pretty big : / do u got link on the 8000

Quick Reply: Hello. My name is Dave and I am a flashaholic.