Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2007 Honda Fit S vs. 2005 Honda Civic EX

Old 11-25-2006, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
2007 Honda Fit S vs. 2005 Honda Civic EX

Well, not sure how this board will react to this post, so here goes...

Tonite I got a short stop light race against a 2005 Honda Civic EX 5spd with suspension/wheels, intake and exhaust.

We both rolled out of the light before punching it, and from there I immediately jumped a car on him. I shifted to 2nd and pulled maybe another 1/2 a carlength on him. When I hit 3rd he pulled back to maybe about 1 car behind me, we shifted into 4th and nobod gained any ground...so we let off around 80mph.

I was so impressed with the Fit, and I know this car wouldn't have a chance against any real sport compact ie. SI, SE-R, etc but lining up with a Civic EX, I thought would be a perfect match for the Fit and boy was I right. I would really like a chance to go up against the Yaris, Versa, Rabbit, etc since they are more of our direct competition.

I have messed around with a motified xB, but anything over about 60mph and the nose on that thing is about as aerodynamic as a skyscraper...so the Fit had little problem walking away.

Anyhow, theres my post...lemme know what ya think.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:54 PM
good kill!!!

Old 11-25-2006, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Street racing is stupid. Take it to the track, or better yet, and autox since drag racing a Fit is basically as exciting as watching paint dry!

Old 11-25-2006, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
I figured a troll like you would likely show up, it's okay though. If I had a place in this pathetic city of San Diego, CA to drag race, I would be there. It just so happens this opportunity arose, so I took it.

Oh and unfortunately, drag racing on a 1/8 mile track in the parking lot of Qualcomm Stadium, where you might get lucky to make one pass, isn't exactly considered a real place to drag race...

So if you could talk to the city of San Diego about putting in a real drag strip, that would be grrreeeeeat.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
Why am I a troll? Street racing is dumb, plain and simple. It puts innocent people at risk. Im sorry you dont have a drag strip near you, but that doesnt give you the "right" to make a public street your strip. A track where conditions are controlled and there and possibly medical personnel avail is the only real safe place to do so.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
'05 Civic EX has 127 hp. It probably weighs more, too. If it has some miles on it, then the engine probably has a good bit of wear.

(I had a '99 CR-V EX and three years later it had over 100K miles on it.)

The Fit also has lower gearing with the MT, and so - on paper, it should be a close race.

Glad you got him, but the other poster is correct about being safe - as long as you know your area you can have fun, but be careful!

Old 11-26-2006, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
well I am not making up excuses for my ignorance of racing on the street, and I dont know if you are aware...but street racing started back in the 40s-50s with street rods...then into the 60s-70s with muscle cars, and now follows into today with imports, etc...so if you are against street racing, you might think of talking to the people who started the trend 60-70 years ago...

Old 11-27-2006, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Im sure street racing has been around pretty much since there were 2 cars built! That doesnt mean its right.

I think once you regularly compete in sanctioned race events (as I do), you look at street racing as completely ridiculous. I certainly didnt think so years ago when I was a teenager, but joining the SCCA and years worth of performance driving schools and autocrossing certainly enlighten you to the "right place" and time do drive like a maniac and when not to. Take it to the track, and better yet, like I said, attend an autox, its much more exciting than drag racing and will teach you more about car control than any drag strip. Im sure San Diego's SCCA chapter has regular events there with the weather there being so nice.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by 07TaffetaFit
I figured a troll like you would likely show up, it's okay though. If I had a place in this pathetic city of San Diego, CA to drag race, I would be there. It just so happens this opportunity arose, so I took it.

Oh and unfortunately, drag racing on a 1/8 mile track in the parking lot of Qualcomm Stadium, where you might get lucky to make one pass, isn't exactly considered a real place to drag race...

So if you could talk to the city of San Diego about putting in a real drag strip, that would be grrreeeeeat.
Actually, they've got illegal drag races on fri/sat nights....the area changes depending on cops, just saying.... the opportunity is there... :D (it's usually AFTER the races at qualcom, ironic enough, because those are meant to persuade people AGAINST that sort of thing)

Old 11-27-2006, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 07TaffetaFit

Are you aware of Borona Drag Strip? It's just outside of San Diego. It's only 1/8 mile, but it's probably better than Qualcomm. It is a sanctioned NHRA track and it's a nice place to race.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:58 AM
I lived out in SoCal and there are plenty of places to race legally and safely. Please be careful where ever you choose to go. We don't want to loose any of our Friends here.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:48 AM
part of what makes street racing fun is the risk. its different every time, unlike going down the same strip of track. its a major adrenaline rush and i enjoy. you may have your own views, but these are mine and this is how i feel. even if there was a track around where i live i would still race on the street. just my 2 cents

Old 11-28-2006, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by southwilrise87
part of what makes street racing fun is the risk. its different every time, unlike going down the same strip of track. its a major adrenaline rush and i enjoy. you may have your own views, but these are mine and this is how i feel. even if there was a track around where i live i would still race on the street. just my 2 cents
Im glad I have no family or friends living in Va Beach then.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by southwilrise87
you may have your own views, but these are mine and this is how i feel.
The difference is, my views won't kill innocent people.

I don't particularily care if people want to act stupid and kill themselves, but when they act in a way that can harm others, it's wrong. Perhaps when you grow up a bit you'll see the difference.

Hopefully you won't learn the hard way.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
Listen, I totally agree with you that street racing is immature and dangerous, but I have to ask a question to the people on here protesting my post. Have you EVER accelerated, in any car on the streets, for any reason?

I do agree that street racing is bad, but people accelerate in their cars all the time. I mean, why should cars like the Corvette Z06 or any other performance oriented car even be allowed on the streets legally by the government, if they are designed to go 180+mph and accelerate incredibly fast? Yet, you arent supposed to drive that way on the streets? And if someone on here is going to reply, that they should be taken to the track, then cars like that should not be made street legal and should only be for track use...

Old 11-28-2006, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Of course people have driven cars like that on the street. Of course 99.99% of the people on here exeed the speed limit, probably virtually every day.

BUT...there is a big difference between doing that, and racing on the street. Or driving like an idiot (weaving in traffic, going 100+ etc) for that matter. Once you cross the line of "too fast for conditions", you put innocent people at risk needlessly. In any any type of racing, any time you are pushing the limits of your car, and available traction, any NUMBER of things can happen that are unexpected. The *ONLY* place that should happen is under controlled conditions/environment. Ive seen all kinds of bizarre incidents on track over the years which end in just a "casual off-course" which would have meant serious injury, if not death, had it occurred on the street. Does this make sense at all?

And just bc you drive a Z06 has nothing to do with driving it sanely on the street. I know several Z06 owners that track and autox their cars regularly. On the street, though, they drive like grandmas!

Old 11-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jetydosa
Im sure street racing has been around pretty much since there were 2 cars built! That doesnt mean its right.

I think once you regularly compete in sanctioned race events (as I do), you look at street racing as completely ridiculous. I certainly didnt think so years ago when I was a teenager, but joining the SCCA and years worth of performance driving schools and autocrossing certainly enlighten you to the "right place" and time do drive like a maniac and when not to. Take it to the track, and better yet, like I said, attend an autox, its much more exciting than drag racing and will teach you more about car control than any drag strip. Im sure San Diego's SCCA chapter has regular events there with the weather there being so nice.
I've auto crossed. There are just as many stupid drivers there as there are on the street. The only difference is I don't have to pay money to watch them. I'm usually out actually driving my car on nice days rather than stand around all day in the hot sun to get 120 seconds of seat time...

autocross sucks IMHO.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
Thats exactly the point, though, autoxing gives people an outlet to drive 110% of what the car can do but in a safe, controlled environment. There is no better, cheaper, way to push your car (and yourself) to the limits and improve on your car control skills (should you choose to learn and become fast).

There is something to be said about the time invested at an autox vs seat time, but thats a whole other debate.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Though my xb isnt exactly a racer, i've been guilty of going along with friends to street races and even being in a car during one (turby'd eclipse)...its fun stuff, granted he only raced his friend and no other cars were there at that part of the street yet, but it's fun...i think it's OKAY to do as long as there is nobody else around (like in this example).but going all balls out on the freeway like a mad-man, thats un-called for.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
well, I think since I started this mess, I should end it.

I apologize to anyone i offended by posting this, and in the future will try and refrain from doing things like that on the street.