Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Pedestrian Deaths Reach Highest Level In Decades

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 01:30 PM
Pedestrian Deaths Reach Highest Level In Decades

The number of pedestrians killed on U.S. roads last year was the highest in 28 years. Using data reported by states, the Governors Highway Safety Association estimates that 6,227 pedestrians were killed in 2018 — a 4 percent hike from 2017 and 35 percent since 2008.
Charlie Riedel/AP

"Crossing the street should not be a death sentence," said report author Richard Retting, who suggested improvements to road and vehicle design should be more broadly implemented despite their costs.

NPR - continues

Old 03-01-2019, 04:43 PM
No mention of stricter rules/laws/enforcement so drivers are not driving distracted though. It would probably be easier to ban walking.

I have come close to being hit by cars while running at night (with lights!). Once I had to jump laterally three feet because, had I stayed rooted in the intersection, the car would have plowed in to me (when the car stopped, I would have been standing roughly in the middle of the engine).

Old 03-01-2019, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Discussed this in depth at work today. All the advanced safety tech is just holding even against cell phone checking drivers and walkers! This isn't a good statistic .. And automotive fatalities are up as well.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
People drive too much. Cities should fight against drivers.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:14 PM
Hmmmm.... Consumer Reports makes this subject their first article in their 2019 Auto Issue;

Making the World Safer for Pedestrians

What automakers and cities need to do to make streets safer for people, and how CR has helped reform the marketplace - continues

Old 03-03-2019, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Worlds collide, cell phone distracted drivers & cell phone walkers each oblivious to the world around them. Bad combination for sure. I don't use a phone when I drive so I'm aware of my surroundings & other road users. It boggles my mind how many people people I have see almost get killed walking out in traffic with their face firmly planted in a cell phone screen.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
Worlds collide, cell phone distracted drivers & cell phone walkers each oblivious to the world around them. Bad combination for sure. I don't use a phone when I drive so I'm aware of my surroundings & other road users. It boggles my mind how many people people I have see almost get killed walking out in traffic with their face firmly planted in a cell phone screen.
Unfortunately for me, I see the most "extreme" case of walkers... not the ones that are distracted by cell phones or whatever, but just self-entitled jerks.

I get "yelled" at to slow down because I came around a corner close to speed limit (going 15-20 mph in a 20 zone). Well, fuck... I must be the recklessly dangerous one, not guy trying jay walking after steeping out from behind parked cars in a poorly lit section of road close to what is essentially a blind intersection. It's far too much to take a the 30 seconds or so to walk to the better lighting of the intersection and use the actual crosswalk that has a button to trigger a walk-only light (both streets get red lights when the walk light triggers here). The worst part... he has he kid with him.

I've seen far too many times where pedestrians "wait" for their crosswalk, by standing IN THE STREET with oncoming cars that have green lights. I'm like, damn... they must really want to get run over.

I won't say I'm innocent, as yesterday, I noticed late after starting my turn there was a pedestrian in the crosswalk. I wasn't on the phone, just more occupied with making sure there was no automotive traffic to watch out for (the Fit's A pillar also doesn't help).

Old 03-04-2019, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Entitled jerks are everywhere. On two feet, four wheels or two wheels. I drive like everyone else out there is going to do something stupid. I also walk that way. That way I'm ready for it. I've not had too many close ones, but last year an unaware person stepped right out in front of me. Missed him, but is was very close. For sure my fault since I'm in a car with the green light. ;~)

Old 03-14-2019, 11:00 PM
Not surprised by this statistic. Just from observation I’d say drivers and pedestrians are equally to blame