Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Giving up before I got it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Giving up before I got it.

Been searching for two weeks now with no luck. Checked
like 7 dealers in my area for a Fit Sport Manual. Same story,
put deposit and wait. I understand some guys waited months
to get one. I have a trade and do not want to get screwed due
to waiting. Maybe I'll look into a Yaris which I really don't want.
I don't know...we'll see.:(

Old 01-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
This is the downside of honda fit. I really would have preferred if US made the fits. I don't really care for JDM and I think japanese workers making more reliable cars is myth. Fit built in US would have gave more fans their prize, as well as made the cars more affordable. It might have given us more trim options; i really wanted a nav system or a moonroof. How can you have relax mode and no moon roof!!!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:52 PM
If you want a Fit, you won't be happy in a Yaris - at least I wasn't when I drove it. No comparison in my book, especially if you comparably equip them - in that case the yaris is very close to the cost of a Fit. Even though I'm an MT guy, I'd get an AT Fit vs an MT Yaris any day of the week.

I did have to wait for mine- longer than most, it seems, but I got exactly what I wanted, at straight MSRP.

Just remember - The time you have to wait is pretty small compared to the time you'll own the car. If you can afford to wait (e.g. you have a working car now), I'd reconsider getting your second choice just so you can have it quickly.

If you really need a car now, then it's a different story.
If you can spend some more money and can tolerate a lower MPG, take a look at the Mazda3 hatch. 90% of the utility of the Fit, and just as much (maybe a bit more) fun to drive, but now we're talking ~18k. That was the only other car on my list after crossing off the Matrix/Vibe (no fun, funky seating position, not worth the extra $$), Yaris/Scion xa/xb (less fun, good luck finding side air bags, and less bang/buck) and Cooper (lots of fun but way less utility). If you don't need a hatch, there's other alternatives....

Good luck!

Old 01-31-2007, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
I love that Fits are rare and that they are built in Japan by Japanese workers. I don't think it's a myth about American workers. I'd tell you what I really think but no one wants that.

I like the Yaris too but it's no Honda Fit. Be patient.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:07 PM
My goal is to get rid of my current car which is a gas guzzler and high
monthly payment. Really no point in commuting in such a car. I put in
at lease 50 miles both ways, that's just the weekdays.

Fit is my first choice as I'm a fan of Honda's all my life, this current
car is my first purchase out of Honda. For the money and all that the
it provides is a great deal. Yaris fully loaded is much cheaper, but
buying cars like these, money is not really the issue for me.

I was thinking of getting an auto due to the availability of the manual.
My wife almost shot me when I said ok to the sales person at the
dealer. She insist I stick with the manual. She is right, I would be kicking
myself later down the line.

So here is my dilema:
I want the Fit. - None around.
I could wait - dealer will screw me on my trade.
I could keep my current car - but would be tight when I get my new house.
Btw...getting the Fit means I could get a 1098 for spring. :rolleyes:

What to do....what to do...:(

Old 01-31-2007, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
If i were you... I'd go 07' Honda civic si ;) 2 or 4 door model doesn't matter!!! That was the car I was originally drooling over before I got my Fit but the damn dealers jacked the price up like 5,000 bucks for the Si. But seriously.... people we snickering at me because I got my Fit but I'm laughing back because I get better gas mileage (not great because honda lied to us about how great the mpg was), I can still seat five, I can use the back of my car like the bed of a small pick up, and I can park in the smallest spots.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
ditton on what RedAndy said

don't give up! do put your deposit and be patient.i'm not sure where you located at but 7 dealers does not seem like a extremely wide search (unless they searched the iventory for you ) maybe try and look farther away ?? i realy wanted MT too and looked around for 3 weeks or so but had to settle for automatic .
how about just test drive the AT anyways, maybe it will grow on you. the paddle shifters really what saved the deal for me. it is obviously not the same thing but at least you nave some kinda means to override the gear choice car makes.

EDIT:
look to sell your car to private party then. you are going to get raped if you trade in anyways.

Last edited by Tankist; 01-31-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Wait for the car. it's worth it! :)

One will pop up at a dealership i'm sure. Try a bigger area search. go 50 to 75 miles out vs. 20 to 40. :)

Old 01-31-2007, 06:52 PM
If you have a gas guzzler, you're gonna get screw unless you trade in for a bigger gas guzzler.

My M/T is finally coming at end of this month. Dealer had my deposit since beginning of last September.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by integradriv3r
If i were you... I'd go 07' Honda civic si ;) 2 or 4 door model doesn't matter!!! That was the car I was originally drooling over before I got my Fit but the damn dealers jacked the price up like 5,000 bucks for the Si. But seriously.... people we snickering at me because I got my Fit but I'm laughing back because I get better gas mileage (not great because honda lied to us about how great the mpg was), I can still seat five, I can use the back of my car like the bed of a small pick up, and I can park in the smallest spots.
I've thought of an Si, but that will defeat my purpose in saving on payments. I rather keep what i have now.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tankist
ditton on what RedAndy said

don't give up! do put your deposit and be patient.i'm not sure where you located at but 7 dealers does not seem like a extremely wide search (unless they searched the iventory for you ) maybe try and look farther away ?? i realy wanted MT too and looked around for 3 weeks or so but had to settle for automatic .
how about just test drive the AT anyways, maybe it will grow on you. the paddle shifters really what saved the deal for me. it is obviously not the same thing but at least you nave some kinda means to override the gear choice car makes.

EDIT:
look to sell your car to private party then. you are going to get raped if you trade in anyways.
I test drove the auto..it was good, but not the way I like it.

I could try to seel my car privately, but I can not afford not to have a car to get to work. Also, not like I could sell the car then go right to Honda to pick an Fit right away.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by scorpmatt
Wait for the car. it's worth it! :)

One will pop up at a dealership i'm sure. Try a bigger area search. go 50 to 75 miles out vs. 20 to 40. :)
Yea..i search dealer inventories, email dealers, and visited many miles away. Same story...put deposit and wait.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Spoon-Fit, If you are looking for Honda reliability, economy, and reasonable price, the Civic DX might be worth considering. The fuel economy is rated at 30/38 5MT and 30/40 5AT. The hp rated at 140 and torque at 127. The two door is about $14,800 and the 4 door about $15,100. My good friend has one and it has sporty handling and good ride. He also gets pretty close to the rated mpg.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Twilight
Spoon-Fit, If you are looking for Honda reliability, economy, and reasonable price, the Civic DX might be worth considering. The fuel economy is rated at 30/38 5MT and 30/40 5AT. The hp rated at 140 and torque at 127. The two door is about $14,800 and the 4 door about $15,100. My good friend has one and it has sporty handling and good ride. He also gets pretty close to the rated mpg.
Hehe..funny how u mentioned that...every dealer I stop
by tried switching me into a civic. But I just have a thing for the Fit. Dunno...maybe it's the whole hatchback thing.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
I'm with you there. I love my fit. I didn't get the Civic either but I considered it. I waited about 3 wks for the dealer to get a new shipment in and then swap for the one I wanted. I am very happy and it was well worth the wait for what it's worth. Good Luck.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm from the Philly area and I was looking for manual trans back in Dec. I went to the Honda website and called up everyone on the list that showed up within 50 miles. It was about 15-20 dealerships. Finally, one dealership checked the inventory for all three states: PA, DE, and NJ for cars coming in. There were only a handful of manual trans out there, mostly sport versions. I finally found one in the Philly area and put a deposit down for a SSM sport coming in Feb. I know waiting around really sucks but from everything I've read about this car, it's definitely worth it.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:05 AM
dang.....dont buy a Yaris....compared to a Fit yeah its cheaper but for a reason ;)

Old 02-01-2007, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by integradriv3r
(not great because honda lied to us about how great the mpg was
Honda does not give MPG ratings. Thats the EPA.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:19 AM
shift at 3k and 65-70 on highway...ive been getting 33-34 mpg city since i bought it.

on a trip to vegas i got 41 mpg......65 whole way, no cruise ;)

Old 02-01-2007, 12:25 AM
i guess i was in a similar situation like you..

I too could not find many "fit" in my area.. some i found but stealership jacked up the price as high as $2000... lol

I almost gave up and almost made a deal on Yaris Base model with all possible options..came out about $1000 less than Fit Sport model.

then my friend from NC called me and he infomred me that Fits are cheaper in his area (least they don't jack up the price)

i took a train for almost 9 hours (supposed to be 6.5.... I hate Amtrack)

drove back 4.5 hours and i am an one happpy man...

I too test drove Yaris. but Hoda Fit is much better car..

Quick Reply: Giving up before I got it.