Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit Vs Rabbit

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Fit Vs Rabbit

what do you guys think? Fit vs VW rabbit 2.5?
rabbit cheaper than fit and have more hp.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:31 PM
VW has a little way to go to meat Honda quality and don't forget with that bigger motor you will not see the fuel economy. You should compare the rabbit to a cobalt or a focus.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
I'm also interested in some people's opinions. I think the Rabbit is comparable. I like them a lot, even though MPG isn't as good as a Fit. I looked into the Rabbit when I looked into the Fit. Why compare the rabbit to a cobalt when this is a Fit forum.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:16 PM
How is it compareable? It's not sub compact.

Price?

Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 PM
The only comparison I can see is pricewise. The larger Iron Block and Aluminum head engine in the Rabbit is far thurstier than the Fit and its smaller 1.5 liter all aluminum engine. I would also agree with the Cobalt/ focus comparison.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:35 PM
let me add to that, the rabbit isn't really in the same category.
not only does the rabbit have a larger engine, but the car weighs a lot more as well, so it would be probably pretty poor in the mpg department.

the gti sure looks great though.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Flat out newer VW's suck. To many problems. Trust me I used to work on them. They suck. Now the older ones, their cool. I own a 73 super beetle. Anyway, hands down the fit is a much much better car. It will also be on the road more than in the shop and parts are a lot cheaper too! As for comparing the two you really can't. Now the focus or cobalt would be a good match up because they both suck too!

Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 PM
don't you get 0% financing with VW???:D

Old 04-04-2007, 10:40 PM
VW rabbit is a tinny car, not really Sub compact, but close to a FIT in somewhat. i was thinking to get that car before i got my Fit. is rabbit (not R32 or GTI) is that higher grade than fit? how much higher/?

Old 04-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by friends288
VW rabbit is a tinny car, not really Sub compact, but close to a FIT in somewhat. i was thinking to get that car before i got my Fit. is rabbit (not R32 or GTI) is that higher grade than fit? how much higher/?
Well you can't compare the fit to a R32 or a GTI. They are not even in the same class yet alone the same price range. These two cars are much higher in maintance and more of an electrical nightmare. Nice cars but a money pit. The R32 is packing a 6 cylinder and its AWD. The gti is turbo and puts out more hp than the fit. The fit on the other hand is lighter than both, better on gas, and will have less problems. Basiclly these cars are a higher grade if you look at performance alone. But, over all quality and reliablility the fit has them both beat!

Old 04-05-2007, 05:46 AM
I can't tell you about the Rabbit specifically, but we just returned a leased Jetta and I can tell you that I will never again 1) pay for any VW product, much to my disappointment, b/c the mechanical problems on the Jetta were numerous and significant. Same problem with my stepdaughter's Jetta and 2) VW stinks to deal with, at least that was my experiece.

We're an all honda family now, one Fit, one El., and that's the way we'll stay.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by bestfit
don't you get 0% financing with VW???:D
Yeah I think GM and Ford have that to.... You get what you pay for I guess;)

Old 04-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Aren't all VW hot-hatches made in Mexico? If so, that alone is the only reason why I wouldn't buy a VW. Also, I haven't looked at the Rabbit's price, but the GTI is at least $5k more here in Canada than the Fit Sport - if I'm not mistaken. :)

Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I actually test-drove a Rabbit on my way to the Honda dealership (when I was called and told a Fit had just arrived). I knew I wanted a Fit, but I felt I needed to test drive one of my alternate choices first so I'd be able to compare the Fit to something else.

The Rabbit was a nice drive. It was roomy, comfortable, very adequate. The gas mileage stinks, but it was a *nice* car. But it's not a Fit. Maybe I was just biased, but I actually *enjoyed* my Fit test drive, so much so that I decided about 5 minutes in that this was going to be MY CAR. The Rabbit just didn't blow me away, it's simply a "point A to point B" car IMO. Seemed like a well-built, comfortable ride though, I don't think you'd make a big mistake purchasing it over the Fit.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:06 PM
At first I was wondering what on earth a VW Rabbit was.
I pictured a car with huge front lights, some queer side mirrors and an enormous hatch.

Then I found out it was the VW Gold. Doh'.'

Well in my opinion, the Golf has a far wider range than the Fit does. You get at the top, R32, GTi's, 1.9 tdi...all the way down to 1.4 or 1.6 lowest.

I reckon you could do a nice comparison between the 1.5vti Fit and 1.6 Golfy

Old 04-13-2007, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Storm Silver Metlic, Go with this color and when you pick it up make sure there are no (swirl marks) on it before you leave. I'm living a nightmare with my Nighthawk Black Pearl!

Old 04-13-2007, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
After driving a V/W golf tdi or what I called it the (CASHCOW) for the last seven years. Before the Turbo blew and drained all of its oil out of the engine killing both! God I hope the fit is a lot better.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by MarkB
How is it compareable? It's not sub compact.

Price?
I don't know about the Rabbit as I never buy vehicles built in Mexico (pretty low quality standards), but Fit is a STATION WAGON...

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...icles-2007.pdf

Chris

Old 04-14-2007, 07:22 AM
I thought the rabbit was built in Germany - not mexico. Jettas are from Mexico. Am I wrong?

Old 04-14-2007, 08:50 AM
I know this much; I strayed from the path of Honda to VW and will never stray again! That is unless Honda starts really tanking with reliability. I had the Jetta wagon and while structurally it was built like a tank the rest was a rattle trap. The electrical system was the first to go on the fritz then the rest followed like seatbelts failing, suspention making all sorts of wierd noises, etc. At this point the Jetta's been in the shop at least twice a month for four months. Here's the kicker; I file a complaint with VW and they don't even make an attempt to get back to me. You would think that with safety issues VW would be beside themselves and try anything to make it better, nope. The attitude was very poor so I went and filed a complaint with the state of CT AG's office now that got a response. I ended up with a fully loaded Golf TDi for my troubles. I loved that car to death, it felt like a poor mans Porche, it was an awsome drive...But the same problems popped up but worse. Again not so much as a peep out of VW. Its been quite different with Honda. I had problems with Cardinal Hondas service dept and Honda was quick to jump right in and contact me, follow up and follow through. Night and Day difference!

Quick Reply: Fit Vs Rabbit