Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2008 Hyundai Accent v Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:19 AM
2008 Hyundai Accent v Fit

I'm new here and just wanted to get your opinions on the new accent, specifically the SE 3-door. And how it compares to the Fit in terms of performance, reliability, looks, etc. I am not really concerned in the resale value because on driving my next car until it quits. I am also not really concerned with the cargo room either. I know the fit takes this category with its lovely magic seats. I haven't been able to check the Accent out but for 14,000 loaded pretty well it seems like a pretty decent deal. Thanks

Old 01-06-2008, 03:07 AM
I happen to also own a 2004 Hyundai accent... originally purchased for my ex-wife to drive.

Long story short: I want to hate it, but there's no reason to. Perfectly adequate automobile with a great warranty.

Hondas are much nicer, but there's nothing wrong with the Hyundais.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gar1013
I happen to also own a 2004 Hyundai accent... originally purchased for my ex-wife to drive.

Long story short: I want to hate it, but there's no reason to. Perfectly adequate automobile with a great warranty.

Hondas are much nicer, but there's nothing wrong with the Hyundais anymore.
fixed that for ya

Old 01-07-2008, 10:46 AM
I too want to hate hyundai's but the warranty speaks for itself. My girl drives one and even though there are a lot of little problems they all get fixed for free!

Old 01-07-2008, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gettin~Fit
I too want to hate hyundai's but the warranty speaks for itself. My girl drives one and even though there are a lot of little problems they all get fixed for free!
A car shouldn't be an inconvenience. (IMHO)

Old 01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
To me having to do a bunch of warranty work isn't a good thing.

When I buy a car I expect to have to bring it in for oil changes and the odd service when I reach specific kms.

I can appreciate that Hyundai will fix it for free but you still have to call bring it in and wait for your car.

Maybe I've been exceptionally lucky but I've never had a single issue with my 2006 Accord (42000kms) or the 1998 Tercel before we sold it at 150 000kms.

I'd rather have no warranty and no problems than the best warranty in the world and always be at the dealership.

With that said the Accent is a decent little car but I would recommend the Fit if you plan to drive it until it quits, you'll get much more use out of it.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
this is true, it was her 1st car and I was not able to help her pick it out. That said she will be done with school in just over 2 years. Its nice to know I won't be responsible for any repairs in that time.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
lets hope that this doesn't turn into a 'yeah, but they NEED that warranty' typical of hyundai threads, the same way VW threads turn into 'my brothers ex wifes cousin had a jetta with a lot of problems' type of thread.

The se 3 door is nice, but even in that trim, the fits interior is still outstanding.

the accent does have the fit trumped in conveniences such as a dead pedal, driver comfort adjustable seats, a better warranty and a quiter ride and its cheap.

the fit drives and handles better, has a sharper, more upscale interior, doesn't make you live with a 3 door to get some sportiness, has impeccable honda quality behind it and i belive it gets better mileage.

one is better at being a regular car, one is better at being a car with some personality.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:54 PM
thanks for your replies so far, they have been helpful. I am still undecided on which car to choose (I am also looking at a yaris...dun dun dun). I'm going to try to test drive them all this weekend.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moyaris
thanks for your replies so far, they have been helpful. I am still undecided on which car to choose (I am also looking at a yaris...dun dun dun). I'm going to try to test drive them all this weekend.

its basically going to break down into this:

1. the yaris should be cheap, will have an interior on par if not only a smidge better than the hyundai, but without the warranty. It wont be as comfy or feature-laden as the accent, but it gets the BEST gas mileage.

2. the accent will be comfy and quiet, a bit bland, but nice. The engine is a little unrefined and doesn't give the best mileage given its size.

3. the fit will be the most expensive, but looks the most upscale with the nicest inside, highest hp to per litre ratio, and it will be the most fun to drive, but be short on comfort convieniences, but have lots of cool stuff like a nice stereo, leather wrapped wheel, paddle shifters, fog lights, etc.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Accent dealer-10;Honda dealer-0

My wife woke at 2am & said she needed a new car. In the morning, I drove 2 cars, then a Hyundai Accent. I liked it. The nice salesman gave a good price & threw in lifetime oil changes. I thanked him & went to drive a Fit. The arrogant Honda salesman said 'take the outrageously priced Fit or leave'. I left. Sixteen hours after she voiced her desire, my wife had a new car...an Accent.

What did she get for a 'too fast & cheap' car deal? So far, she has a car she likes very much. She loves the black textured cloth interior & nice silver exterior (I don't). The Honda is known for its cargo storing efficiency. However, the Accent, Yaris & Fit have the same exterior width, but Accent has 1 to 3 inches more shoulder width than Yaris, & 1 inch more shoulder width than Fit. My wife carries her art supplies easily in the Accent. I like small cars, but I love to look across the Accent interior at the spacious width.

We put in an HD digital radio head unit with CD player retaining the stock Hyundai speakers. If you have HD radio stations in your area, get HD radio. My classical music & other HD stations give spectacular sound, nearly equivalent to CDs. Only background hiss(which is much less than analog FM), is more than CDs. Bass is richly textured & high strings are creamy instead of astringent. Stereo placement is excellent, responding to single click balance & fade control adjustments nicely.

Surprising for a cheap car, the Accent has 8 way adjustable driver's seat, nice console lighting, a tachometer, interior adjustable rear view mirrors, fuel cap release at driver's side, drivers arm rest, 3 position intermittent wipers, & mudflaps.

Surprising for a more expensive car & not always given, the Accent has a wonderful short throw shifter & delicate engaging clutch. I bought a Dodge Caliber with an immaculately smooth CVT transmission. The Accent travels a long way towards smoothness with the shifter-clutch combo.

Surprising for an expensive car & often not given, is the long warranties, which gives lots of rest at night.

Yes, Hyundai Accent keeps lots of money in your pocket, lots of value in their cars & seem to have better salespeople.

Last edited by litesong; 01-19-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:13 PM
So I gather your woman can't buy her own car eh? ;)
On a side note, when I go buy a car I've done a ton of research already so I'm 90% sure what I'll be buying when I go to the dealership. Nothing wrong with the accent but the fit is a better car.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Hey, Dingleberry MarkB...She can buy her own car, especially if salesMEN aren't asses. But she has been around long enough to know that life is too short to spend it around salesMEN that are asses as most salesMEN are. Somehow, salesMEN think if they fill the air with words, they are actually earning their money...which in most cases they don't.

Honda Fit superior to Accents? I'll let you believe that, since we have an extra $4000+ in the bank drawing interest. Superiority complexes over a lifetime can get pretty expensive tho. My 20 year old Ford Festiva (a Kia car who Hyundai bought years ago) averaging 45MPG may last another 10 years. Not too bad for an 'inferior' car.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
dont trash talk the FitSport with some other cheap car...

there are a lot of guys here that bought the FitSport because it's a
very capable fun little carguy's toy that we can kick around throughout
the seasons; not because we can't afford other more expensive cars.

that being said, we dont even usually look at cars in this price range
unless we consistently hear great things about a particular car or see
a car on the road that is eye catching. i didn't know wat an Accent
even looked like until just a moment ago when i ran a search. im not
too familiar what other cars are available in this price range cause
honestly, i don't care. :rolleyes: i was only looking at the FitSport in silver
or black.

my point is that the FitSport has the fun factor of cars costing much
more. mods are inexpensive too, and i can confirm from experience
that you dont need expensive parts to make this car even more fun
to own. modding is not about throwing good money away on overkill
parts; it's about spending just enough to maximize the potential of
the ride for its application.

so if you can't tell the difference between an enthusiast's microwgn
and some ecnobox then more to ya for getting the Hyundai. i think
you made the right choice for your lifestyle. you maximized your
money for your application.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by litesong
Hey, Dingleberry MarkB...She can buy her own car, especially if salesMEN aren't asses. But she has been around long enough to know that life is too short to spend it around salesMEN that are asses as most salesMEN are. Somehow, salesMEN think if they fill the air with words, they are actually earning their money...which in most cases they don't.

Honda Fit superior to Accents? I'll let you believe that, since we have an extra $4000+ in the bank drawing interest. Superiority complexes over a lifetime can get pretty expensive tho. My 20 year old Ford Festiva (a Kia car who Hyundai bought years ago) averaging 45MPG may last another 10 years. Not too bad for an 'inferior' car.
LOL..

What ever floats your boat dude. Just remember YOU are on a HONDA fit forum. :)

Sad though if you allow a sales guy make the call for you. Regardless if they are an ass or not its about the product.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Okay, Dingleberry accent:mad:

Hyunadi resale value sucks ass. Mr. name caller...

You are going to need the $4000 in the bank gaining intrest just to get out from under that P.O.S.

The reason that hyundai gives all of the extras and a low price is becuse if they didnt... tThey wouldnt sell any cars!!!.

AND what the HELL are you doing on a forum for the honda fit if YOU DONT HAVE ONE!!!!

you need to kick that korean P.O.S back across the ocean.. tough guy.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Wow... PR fit wtf?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Well.... For one he started atacking MarkB for a little joke...

Two... he is trying to slam the fit and say that his Hyunadi is the best thing since sliced bread....

He can have his mentaly challenged opion, but dont start talking smak to another member of our forum that he's not even apart of...

so he can "jog on"

Old 02-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Ah it's all good guys. People just get a little up tight sometimes when you challenge why they do what they do. That's all.

Fit FTW!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:09 PM
U also need to keep in mind the trade in value after a five year term. As it is there is a 33% downgrade in your cars value as soon as your drive off the lot!! With that being said, I'm sorry but that Hyundai is not going to hold it's value like a HONDA.

HONDA FTW:)

Quick Reply: 2008 Hyundai Accent v Fit