Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Civic 91 crankshaft bolt problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
Civic 91 crankshaft bolt problems

Yes, I know I will be posting this on other Honda specific forums, but maybe I can get some help here, since this is where I frequent the most.

The pulley bolt will not come off at all!!!

Tried this DIY since the belt wrench didn't help at all, and this site has failed me too: 1990 Honda Timing Belt Info - Do It Yourself Hot Rod Kustom Website

Now I have a broken pulley:

You can see other images here:
Index of /~anthony/images/honda91

including the steel bolts I had used for the job.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
what kind of impact gun were u using? I used a 350ft lb one from craftsman and broke one off my fit off fine (also my EK'S bolt too). Sometimes ur impact gun isn't strong enough.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
Anthony, PM sent!
Ivan

Old 02-18-2008, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
I used a breaker bar with 2 1/2in extensions and a big pipe on mine. Came off with some muscle, but I also had it in 3rd gear and the flywheel stuck with a screwdriver.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
DIdn't want to use a longer screw for the fly wheel, scared of damaging any of the oil pan parts, cause that's where the seals are.

Also, the top crankshaft pulley is held together by the belt, and I don't want to rip the belt.

Ivan, PM sent, and I hope to hear from you. I am currently waiting for my brother to come back with a replacement 10" craftsmand extension bar, since we broke another one today. I will try the putting the car into gear, and hitting the bolt again with the breaker bar and the jack to support the bar.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
I tried putting the car into gear, and having my brother hold the car in reverse while holding the brakes in place.

I just didn't get anything to get this loose, now I Have to wait another day to get Ciburri to come over with his air tools, and hope it turns out for the best.

If I strip the bolt, what can I do about it? cut it off with dremel tools, how will I get the bottom -half of the bolt out?

ARGH! I know I will need an alternator to power things in the car (stereo and maybe air compressor for airbags)

Old 02-19-2008, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
GOT THE BOLT OFF!!

Super heated it till it was red... (kept the heat going for 5 minutes after it turned bright red)

then stopped the heat, waited for the heat to go down (when the bolt itself was barely red) used a 610LB/torque air hammer/impact drill, and got it off......

It took a long time, but damn, after a broken shattered crankshaft pulley, a replacement plastic case is worth it.

Just a word of warning, the plastic case and the rubber seal behind the crankshaft bolt will melt, and a LOT of smoke will come out, but you know it;s working, cause the heat will be so extreme from the bolt, it will expand, and it will be soft to remove... the bit was warm, the place was hot, and it was raining out..

Either way, I forgot the camera in my garage in another city, I'll get it back tomorrow after I get the Engine head removed (thing connected to the exhaust and intake headers.

yay~~~ moving forward with my brothers car.