Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2009 Honda Fit vs. 2009 Toyota Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
2009 Honda Fit vs. 2009 Toyota Matrix

OK guys, first post here.

This fall I'm planning to buy a new car. I have narrowed it down to 2 cars (so far): the newly, redesigned 2009 Fit or the newly, redesigned 2009 Matrix. I also considered the Mazda 3, but ruled it out. I need help with the decision process.

Background: I have a L O N G work commute (highway). Currently have a 2007 Fit (purchased in April 2006, has 33k miles, paid off). It's been a very good car; but, I miss a few necessities: dead pedal, arm rest, map lights, properly working front windshield wipers (have tried everything to fix), INTERMITTENT rear wiper, reasonably large gas tank, XM radio integration (using the Fit's AUX input now). (Of course, some of these issues are addressed in the aftermarket, but I want a nice OEM look - besides I like a new car smell :p .) Also, the FIT feels a tad underpowered on the highway.

Requirements: Need excellent gas mileage. Strongly prefer a 4 door hatch (hate sedans). I don't need AWD (live in Upstate South Carolina). I need a hatch with a dead pedal (Mazda 3 strangely doesn't have one), arm rest, and XM integration (Mazda 3 only has Sirius). I strongly prefer a car with stability control (I plan to use the Fit as a second family car). As everyone knows, the current Fit's ride is very firm - this is especially brutal on my behind for a nearly hour long commute. I prefer a balanced ride (not too firm, not too soft). I don't care about navigation - portable navs are now much better than in dash navs (IMHO). Wishes: I would like a moonroof, bluetooth factory integration, and a little more horsepower.

Evaluation of the New Cars

2009 Honda Fit: most of the issues of the first gen Fit are addressed in the redesigned model. Has a dead pedal and arm rest. Stability control is available on the Sport model. Not sure about XM integration. Apparently, bluetooth is not available (even as an accessory according to College Hills Honda accessory preview) - I think this is a safety oversight by Honda. However, the USB port is a very nice touch (maybe first in its class). Not sure about the new rear wiper or the size of the gas tank. I hear that the ride is more compliant. The new instrument panel is wonderful - I think I even noticed a trip computer. There is no moonroof/skyroof. I expected (at least) a moonroof for the USDM on the sport model - but, alas, none was there. Also, I expected rear disc brakes for the sport model. Do ABS, EBD, and VSA work effectively on vehicles with drum brakes? I don't believe there is an exterior temp gauge - but not sure. The new body style is a nice evolution from the old. Like the paddle shifters.

2009 Matrix: on paper this car (S model) seems very good (with a few exceptions). This car has available XM integration, factory bluetooth, arm rest (albeit, hard as a rock), stability control, dead pedal, INTERMITTENT and CONTINUOUS rear wiper, moon roof, REAR DISC BRAKES, available 17 inch tires, and outside temp gauge. However, due to the larger engine (Camry's lazy, ubiquitous 2.4L), the Matrix gets worse gas mileage (21/29) than the Fit (I expect the new Fit will achieve the same mileage as the old, maybe a little more). Also, the new Matrix body style is a bit odd. The redesigned instrument panel and dash are a "sea" of hard plastic. The new, redesigned Fit has a more upscale IP and dash. But, there is no engine temp gauge on the new Fit's IP (Matrix has one). I believe the price of the "S" Matrix will be a bit higher than the Fit sport - not entirely sure, though. Has "sport shift", but no paddle shifters.

What would you choose as a daily commuter car?

Any other hatch models I should consider?

Sorry for the rambling, appreciate the help.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I'd have to go with Fit of course, but if the Matrix is your alternate, then go look at the Vibe. The new Vibe, which I'm sure you know is the same car as the Matrix, is WAYYYYYY better looking than the new Matrix, IMO. I know Autoblog had pics of it. I don't know if it's up on Pontiac's site yet. But this time around, the Vibe is the looker.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:28 AM
how about the Matrix with the 1.8?

Old 03-23-2008, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
I saw a bunch of new Matrices at my local Toyota dealer, they are UGLY! The entire car looks bloated and almost toy-like. Such a disappointment since the original Matrix was a nice looking car. The interior looks like crap too, the center stack is this big chunk of curved grey plastic.

Toyota should have learned from the failure of the 2nd generation xB. I think they're going to repeat that debacle with the 2nd gen Matrix, although retaining a fuel-efficient engine in addition to the 2.4 might help it a bit.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
from reading your evaluation of the 2 cars. I'd have to go with the 09 Fit. it seems to fit most of your wants and the ones that cant be addressed, theres always aftermarket.

I'd imagine the new Matrix would not be that much fun to drive and would seem sluggish around corners. Also i'd have to agree with everyone here the interior is UGLY. So boring and looks very cheap. The exterior..its alright i guess, looking like a mini camry in a way.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Wow first post! And you have been here how long:D :wavey:

Anywho...
If you like your Fit now you would most likely dig the new Fits improvements, but having said that no one here has driven the new USDM Fit and know really nothing about what it really will be like. So you are going to have to do test drives when it comes out anyway, and compare from there.
Good luck on your journey.:)

Old 03-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Long post deserves a long reply.

It seems like you are dead set on buying a new car in the fall. If I were in your shoes, I would stay with the 07 Fit because of the cost of getting a new vehicle every few years. The dead pedal, armrest, map light, intermittent rear wiper, tank capacity, and xm radio integration all seem like minor issues. You can buy and install a deal pedal, armrest, maplight, and xm integration. From what I have seen from the FitFreaks who have this done, the accessories do not look bad at all. Try looking around the fourms for pictures of installs.

For the front wipers, maybe the springs that holds the wipers against the glass is worn. I heard on CarTalk that it might be the culprit in wiper malfunction.

For tank capacity, you should consider the car's range instead (fuel capacity x fuel efficiency).

Fit: 10.8 gallons x 34 mpg highway = 367.2 miles
Matrix (2.4L): 13.2 gallons x 29 = 382.8 miles

Of course I understand that I am more frugal than most people so I would just keep the 2007 Fit. Most cars would have worst fuel efficiency.

I get the impression that you would be happier in a luxury grade vehicle rather than economy.

Other cars to consider:
VW Rabbit - Small Hatch, comes in 4drs, huge engine = bad mpg.
Subaru Impreza.
Used IS200 wagon.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
The one thing about the new Matrix I don't get is it doesn't really seem to have any big advantages over the old one. It has exactly the same fuel economy, (26mpg in the city, 33 on the highway) and it only has 2hp more than the old one... but it gained 200lbs.

Usually when an all-new car comes out it has some advantage over the old one. All this thing has is funky new styling which honestly isn't as attractive as the old generation.

Honda Fit rocks, get that. Save money on gas, plus have the reliability of a Honda... Toyota has been slipping pretty bad lately.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies - this is a great forum.

I want to address the above replies:

I looked at the Vibe and IMHO a much better looking car than the Matrix, but it doesn't come with factory bluetooth - only the Matrix has steering wheel controls for BT (maybe first in its class) - I'm not sure why Pontiac did not add this.

Yes, I looked at the base Matrix, but it only comes with 4-speed auto (but still with decent mileage).

The new Matrix dash is full of plastic and exudes cheapness. Even the 1st gen Fit has a better looking dash.

I'm a little disappointed in the size of Matrix's gas tank - it has just a little bit better range than the current Fit.

Other hatches: VW Rabbit - nice car, but little concerned about VW's reliability. Impreza - considered this, but somewhat poor gas mileage, don't really need AWD here in SC, the dash and IP IMHO look even cheaper than the new Matrix (it's awful), Subaru still uses a 4 speed auto. IS 200 - hadn't thought of that, but was that even available in the States? (thought only the IS 300) - do like the SportCross - classic hatch.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:27 PM
RDS
Originally Posted by HotIron
Well, I'd have to go with Fit of course, but if the Matrix is your alternate, then go look at the Vibe. The new Vibe, which I'm sure you know is the same car as the Matrix, is WAYYYYYY better looking than the new Matrix, IMO. I know Autoblog had pics of it. I don't know if it's up on Pontiac's site yet. But this time around, the Vibe is the looker.
I would pick a Vibe as well and I'm not a huge Pontiac fan. The Matrix appears to be "trying too hard" to please the eyes. That said, I would still choose the Fit if commuting is the sole purpose.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if the new matrix is anything like their current one, run away~!

matrix is imho not anywhere as great as wat everyone says. i had to
ride shotgun (hertz rental) and it was a step better than the
Yaris i had to ride a long, but it wasn't all that different.

both were cramped, underpowered, engine sounded like a dying
electric motor, and the interior is no where near the quality of a honda.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Fit hands down!! I'm a Fit fanboy if you havent noticed.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:27 AM
A matrixowner (xrs...not hertz 4 speed auto ;) ) myself, would not think twice between a fit and 2nd gen matrix. Fit FTW!!! ....unless you got deep pockets and get 2.4L, then turbo and everything else under the sun. but regardless what you do to new matrix, appearance goes to the Fit as well!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:32 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I've been eyeing up the 09 matrix AWD hehe, I might go test drive one.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by W1lson
Fit hands down!! I'm a Fit fanboy if you havent noticed.
Actually I had not....must be that confusing sig pic.:D heehee

Old 03-25-2008, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
wow what a challenge!

i actually like the looks of the new matrix, i think it looks worlds better than the whale shaped prev. gen.

(sugarphreak: the new matrix comes with a 2.4 litre motor as an option, it has a little bit more than just 2 hp more.;) )

I wouldn't be worried about toyota reliabiltiy....a lot of folks would say that honda has been slipping with the numerous issues the new civic has had, and people still seem to be ok with it.(how is that logic for ya?)

The new matrix does have a few perks that the 09 fit will not, like the bluetooth (and to a lesser extent, an armrest, because all the pics of seen of the sport version at the ny auto show do NOT have an armrest, but i think that a sunroof is going to be an option, at least per car and driver.), but it will give you better MPG, even if you did consider a base 1.8 matrix.

The Rabbit is nicely appointed car, i used to own one, and you can expect the same mileage as the 2.4 matrix, but more torque;) They don't come with bluetooth though and reliablity isn't exactly the best, though CR now reccomends the jetta, which is bascially a sedan version of the rabbit. I had no issues with mine personally. And you'll get the best interior for the money.

But if you are trying to be frugal, i say that cars like the 3, rabbit, and 2.4 matrix should be out of the picture, as they will only average around 28-30 mpg, if you do drive on the freeway as much as you say you do.

the fit sounds like the better.....erm...fit.:D

Old 04-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
things I like about the 09 matrix vs the fit.

the matrix has AWD available, the matrix has a moonroof, the matrix will have warenteed aftermarket parts available through toyota's TRD catalogue.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
If this helps at all we bought an 08 Sport Fit Over the 09 Matrix. :wavey:

Old 07-31-2008, 10:31 PM
I looked at the 08 Matrix's when i bought my 08 Fit.. And i didnt not like them at all then... I do like the look of the exterior on the 09 Matrix, more then the 08.

I would still be going for the FIT of course!!!

~Jon~

Old 08-01-2008, 12:07 PM
i'll post my previous response as i have already driven the 2009 matrix and was largely dissapointed. Even compared to the 7 year old base fit I tested it against. The 09 matrix was the 2.4l engine FWD.

Originally Posted by boon4376
To me, the fit was better in EVERY single way. The fit costs thousands less.. and the Base model FWD matrix I tested Had NO power locks and NO power windows (the base fit has these standard btw) This was a $17,000 model. It handled worse, had a much larger turning radius, the visibility is horrible, trunk space is much much smaller, even with seats folded, and its no where near as versatile. It doesn't even FEEL faster when driving it despite having almost a whole extra litre under the hood.
And your question
Originally Posted by drfranklin

What would you choose as a daily commuter car?

Any other hatch models I should consider?
Your test drives will answer this question. You will find that there are no other hatches that offer everything the FIT has, most notibly the competition will lack in visiblitity, interior space, handling, and performance (especially at this engine size and MPG rating)... I have tested the XD and simply hated it. The hatch version of the hyundai accent could be a competitor, but i didnt try it because the rear cargo area was too small for my needs.

Last edited by boon4376; 08-01-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 Honda Fit vs. 2009 Toyota Matrix