Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Smart Car Forum Slams Fit! Made in China?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Smart Car Forum Slams Fit! Made in China?

Interesting read,

Apparently the Fit is made in China, is "frumpy" and is too small for these owners when compared to their Smart Cars :rolleyes:

Photos Of 2009 Honda Fit - Club smart Car

Old 04-02-2008, 11:55 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
i had to set them str8 ;)

QUOTE (Duck @ Feb 23 2008 - 04:35 AM)
I tried to sit in one at CIAS last night. I sat in only a few cars - but as astonished that it was virtually impossible for me to "fit" into the Fit! In my smart, I can stick my legs straight out in front of me. My knees were all jammed up into the steering column on the Fit.

-Iain

This is interesting to me.. when i sat in the smart car at the LA AUTO SHOW last year the smart car was so small i couldnt even close the door without hitting my ass on the door panels lol im 5'9 180 so not fat by any means and i felt very clostrophobic in it.

QUOTE (SameGuy @ Feb 23 2008 - 07:02 AM)
I've had the same issue in the current Jazz/Fit since its entry to the Caribbean and NA markets, and I'm only 5'9" tall. There is OK room on the passenger's side and lots in the back considering the size of the car. Headroom is only just adequate, but the storage space and versatility are huge benefits of this cool little car. Now, if only it were not so (typically-Honda-) over-priced for what you get. Sure, it starts at $17K or so. But optioned out it leaps over $22,000 and with neither heated seats nor a moon-roof available... a pricy little car that gets lousier FE than a Civic DX.

Technically it gets better FE than a civic my best friend owns one and i get better mpg every tank. also his civic was 18k plus tax licence and title and and mine fully loaded was only 15,200 so maybe its just because your in the caribbean but in north america you can get a fully loaded fit sport for at the VERY most 16k. and is RATED better than ANY of the cars in its class BY EVERY AUTOMOTIVE WEBSITE AND MAGAZINE.. beating out the kia's the yaris and the scion counterparts.

QUOTE (Mike T @ Feb 23 2008 - 06:28 PM)
A Honda rep at the auto show two years ago told me the present fit is ALSO made in China. Meaning, the ones sold here now.

and last but not least the HONDA FIT USDM version is the ONLY other USDM HONDA other than the CIVIC SI made in JAPAN. so the rep was completely incorrect if you cruise over to any honda dealership right on the sticker it says final assembly was in JAPAN and all parts are from JAPAN.

please do homework before making assumptions

<3 s0x
Care of
Fitfreak.net

best tank of gas 40mpg
worst tank 34.5

have fun with your repair bills at the german dealerships guys

Old 04-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Retired Moderator
Ahh they are just jealous cause they know the Fit is a much better car lol.

Tyler

Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 AM
rep!

i just rep'd ya. represent.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
haha damn sox, you are like the claymore of the smart car forum

Old 04-03-2008, 12:04 AM
That was a fun read. I would think that the Fit has more leg space in the front then the Smart. Dont know what the Honda rep was thinking the Fit is pure JDM haha.

Woot post 300. :D

Old 04-03-2008, 12:11 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
haha damn sox, you are like the claymore of the smart car forum
hahahhahahhahahhahhhahahhahhahahhaha:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

that made my life :p

Old 04-03-2008, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
I'ma get this in before it happens:

*you just got -1 rep'd by claymore*

Wow, those smart car guys do not do their homework. Not enough legroom for someone who's 5'9"? My 6'2" stepdad fits fine in my car! They're talking out the side of their necks, so to speak.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:25 AM
LOL dumb geek cars! so that's where the local smart gather..i just spotted some members from that site today.. dont worry they dont receive much respect here

Old 04-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Retired Moderator
Alright boys, play nice. I had a smart car before my Fit. Despite its small stature, it is a great car for city driving and short highway drives. It was a lot of fun with a remap on the diesel engine! Spitting out plumes of black smoke at bastard SUV's tailgating you because they think you are slow is a lot of fun!

Combo...seriously...just STFU...

And to be honest, the smart car I believe does give you more leg room. I had a 7'+ friend sit in the smart and he could fully extend his legs!

Last edited by Illusive; 04-03-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
I hear the Smart isn't nearly as sporty as the Fit, but the Smart Cabrio is just so freaking awesome looking! If it was widely available when I bought my Fit I would be definitely taken a look, I think they look great and you just get so many funny looks driving them around. Plus I have this huge desire to own a convertible. I like unique rides and it's hard to beat a Smart for that, at least since it's so new to the US market.

I'm pretty sure practicality, not to mention my parents' concerns for safety, would keep me out of a Smart though. They didn't even want me in a Miata.

Basically.. I think the Fit is way better all around car but the Smart would probably be my "emotional" choice. After all Honda = sensible.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
The 2008 EPA MPG in the US was 33/41. A car half the size getting little more than the Fit. The Fit has inadequate head room, even though I'm 5'11 and have more than 5 or so inches of head room, and my coworker who is 6'5 sat in it with leg and head room, not to mention a police officer who is 6'2 fit in it.

Meh, whatever. They can like whatever they want, but at least know the right info before bashing.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by coupdetat
I hear the Smart isn't nearly as sporty as the Fit, but the Smart Cabrio is just so freaking awesome looking! If it was widely available when I bought my Fit I would be definitely taken a look, I think they look great and you just get so many funny looks driving them around. Plus I have this huge desire to own a convertible. I like unique rides and it's hard to beat a Smart for that, at least since it's so new to the US market.

I'm pretty sure practicality, not to mention my parents' concerns for safety, would keep me out of a Smart though. They didn't even want me in a Miata.

Basically.. I think the Fit is way better all around car but the Smart would probably be my "emotional" choice. After all Honda = sensible.
Honestly, the big thing everyone overlooks is the safety of the smart. It has a very well designed Tridion Safety Cell that protects the occupants in a crash. It acts similar to an extremely rigid roll cage and will use the crumple zone of the other car to dissipate as much energy as possible. Very safe car.

It is also one of a kind, especially when it was first introduced in Canada. I was one of the first to get one. I took it for a test drive on the first day they had one, and man, I gotta say, I had so much fun in it with the attention and smiles you get, it's hard to get away from. All in all a great city car which is its sole purpose and achieves it very well!

BTW those MPG figures, are those for the smart? Because I easily got 4.2L/100km while the Fit gives me only 7L/100km at best.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone know what the price comparison is between the Fit and Smart?

Old 04-03-2008, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
Honestly, the big thing everyone overlooks is the safety of the smart. It has a very well designed Tridion Safety Cell that protects the occupants in a crash. It acts similar to an extremely rigid roll cage and will use the crumple zone of the other car to dissipate as much energy as possible. Very safe car.

It is also one of a kind, especially when it was first introduced in Canada. I was one of the first to get one. I took it for a test drive on the first day they had one, and man, I gotta say, I had so much fun in it with the attention and smiles you get, it's hard to get away from. All in all a great city car which is its sole purpose and achieves it very well!

BTW those MPG figures, are those for the smart? Because I easily got 4.2L/100km while the Fit gives me only 7L/100km at best.
Not bad at all for such a little thing: YouTube - smart car crash

Old 04-03-2008, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I understand the Smart is very safe but it's hard to overcome your parents' preconceived notions. Hell the '95 miata I wanted had a 4 star frontal crash test but they thought it looked too small.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
My MPG estimates came from the Smart car website. I may have read them wrong, but I don't think so. It said the 07 was around 41/44 but the 08 was what I quoted. I compared 08 to 08.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
haha smart car FTL!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
Those things are ugly as sin... :rotfl:

Old 04-03-2008, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
so when the smart makes it in the US market, does that mean it's going to be the new prius? in that i mean, is everyone that drives a smart fortwo going to close their eyes when they talk and enjoy the smell of their own farts? (oh how i love south park :D)

Quick Reply: Smart Car Forum Slams Fit! Made in China?