Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Heel toe: Gas pedals that pivot "down" vs pivot "up"

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Heel toe: Gas pedals that pivot "down" vs pivot "up"

I think most people agree gas pedals whose pivot point is above the pedal is superior to gas pedals whose pivot point is below the pedal is better.

I was wondering is it possible to heel toe in the latter? I notice the civic SI and the TSX gas pedals are like this. I prefer the fit's gas pedals b/c it's easy to heel toe. I ask b/c if a future diesel TSX comes out, I may trade the fit in for that :)

Old 06-01-2008, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gordio
I think most people agree gas pedals whose pivot point is above the pedal is superior to gas pedals whose pivot point is below the pedal is better.

I was wondering is it possible to heel toe in the latter? I notice the civic SI and the TSX gas pedals are like this. I prefer the fit's gas pedals b/c it's easy to heel toe. I ask b/c if a future diesel TSX comes out, I may trade the fit in for that :)

It would be pointless to make a diesel car now. No one would want to buy it because of gas prices

Old 06-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gordio

i'm sure it's possible to do it with either type of gas pedal because they've been racing the current gen civic type R overseas and if i remember right, lots of other cars are like that, such as BMW and maybe porsche for example. and those are a lot more race-oriented than our cars.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
i don't see teh benefit in heel toe shifting. or double clutching either. especially in a FWD car

Old 06-01-2008, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Double-clutching is for old-school cars. Heel-toe is good for the twisties so you can stay in the powerband.

I wish I could heel-toe shift :-\

Old 06-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by George02
It would be pointless to make a diesel car now. No one would want to buy it because of gas prices
True, the days of cheap diesel is gone; however Diesels tend to have about 30% better MPG overall, so unless the price goes up to 30% over gas it technically is still a better move. That and they have sooo much torque :D

Old 06-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
i don't see teh benefit in heel toe shifting. or double clutching either. especially in a FWD car
Anytime you know you'll accelerate hard following braking is when you heel toe.

Example 1: a turn
you drive on a highway, and it says 45 steep right turn. You'll be 65, brake to 40mph, heel toe and downshift, then accelerate and when the road is straight you're already 65 mph while the other guys are still at 45 mph

Example 2: an idiot in your lane
When traffic is smooth, and there is slowdown *only* at your lane (like when an old guy enters your lane a few cars in front), you brake because everyone's slowing down, heel toe, change lanes, and speed up and keep up with traffic speed.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
YEs! +1

i like heel towing for the canyon runs.

rev matching and slowing down, what a great idea haha

Old 06-02-2008, 01:09 AM
are you serious? i thought u own a 5speed. heel-toe is helpful regarless fwd/rwd/awd.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:47 AM
How do u heel-toe? I find it kinda hard to do it on the fit's stock pedals.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
spend some time in a RSX my buddy... the gas pedal is not aligned with the brakes, it's deeper in. So you cant heel toe unless you're like insane on the brakes

Old 06-02-2008, 02:14 AM
Thats wat i am trying to say lol the brake is higher than the gas pedal.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:49 AM
some examples
YouTube - Touge S14 vs ITR

YouTube - Race Car Driver & His Footwork

YouTube - Touge battle Skyline GTR vs rx7 (notice the gas peddle of the rx7 is much lower than the brake, it is still possible to perform heel and toe)

its all about practice.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
spend some time in a RSX my buddy... the gas pedal is not aligned with the brakes, it's deeper in. So you cant heel toe unless you're like insane on the brakes
The fit's brakes are also too sensitive. What you have to do is "levitate" your foot.

Heel toe while trying to keep your toe in an fixed location in space and time. Slightly depress the brakes, but heel toe from this position, w/o pushing w/ the brake any lower.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:14 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
you can heel-toe in any car with a clutch, brake, and gas pedal. you just need to adapt to the pedals and some will be more difficult than others. but you don't have to MASH on the brakes just to blip the gas just because the brake pedal is closer up to you than the gas. it's like gordio said, just adapt your footwork accordingly.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm pretty sure most if not all Porsche's have bottom pivot throttle, if that tells you anything.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitinfit
are you serious? i thought u own a 5speed. heel-toe is helpful regarless fwd/rwd/awd.
it's still pointless. ESPECIALLY on the street. i had a 5.0 mustang before, and never ONCE thought i needed to heel toe.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
heel-toe is not pointless. it needs to be done if one is racing and doesn't want to waste precious time by braking first, and then spending time just to shift into the right gear to accelerate out of a turn... it's a lot more efficient to shift into the gear while you're braking, like killing 2 birds with one stone.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
I used to heel-toe in my MT Civic and it's NOT pointless. Makes a difference in accelerating after braking when your revs are already matched up there.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
it's still pointless. ESPECIALLY on the street. i had a 5.0 mustang before, and never ONCE thought i needed to heel toe.
Its not pointless in anycar. I do it naturally now. Not only does it allow the car to be in the right gear and right powerband when you plan on accelerating after braking like everyone else said. It also keeps the car balanced not jolting the car forward jaming the car into the lower gear. Not *heeltoe'ing* will also burn out your clutch much faster by slipping it into gear.

If you never thought you needed to do it you have never driven quickly or smoothly around turns.

And as far as having a floor mounted pedal vs one like the fit. I actually find floor mounted pedals to be easier but i have bigger feet (12) so maybe its a factor. I think it is all preference and foot size etc. Not one setup is better then the other. However like others have pointed out most "sports cars" have floor mounted pedals

Last edited by SHG_Mike; 06-02-2008 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Heel toe: Gas pedals that pivot "down" vs pivot "up"